FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:47 am

HeLp An OlD GuY uNdErStAnD cEnTeR cHaNnEl

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:49 pm

HeLp An OlD GuY uNdErStAnD cEnTeR cHaNnEl

How does that center channel thing hook up? I am as confused as the topic header. I might be the only guy left in America who needs help with that, but us old guys change slowly.

Right now I have a Carver 400t running the two speakers on each side of my new LED TV and a powered sub.
It sounds great. I have no idea why I am trying to upgrade. I guess like many here - nothing will ever be good enough. I think that is called the "hobby" of audio. Here are photos of my current speakers - http://I'm a Fucking Asshole.typepad.com/I'm a Fucking Asshole/2010/08/cheap-audio.html

After lots of web work and frustration, finally got a buy on the TV speakers I have wanted for my new TV. POLK VM30. I believe I want those because they are slim, match the TV, and I have a wife. I am pretty sure I will like these as about a year ago I got one VM20. It is clear as a bell and excellent for voice. So far I have been unable to get a steal/deal on a second one. My real audio music stereo system is on the deck, so this is just for TV.

Apparently the single VM20 I have is the perfect matched center channel for these VM30s that might arrive soon. I do have an extra Carver 705 with 5 channels in the closet. I am at a loss as to how to hook up the center channel. If I run a channel to the left and to the right - do I run two to the center channel to get all the sound? I doubt I even need a center channel, but what the hell - just fiddling around. What is a good way to hook this up? The 705, it is kinda like a box with 5 separate mono amps inside. All need separate input and give separate output. It is a wonderful amp, especially to bi-amp with, but how should the center channel hook in?
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:19 pm

Re: HeLp An OlD GuY uNdErStAnD cEnTeR cHaNnEl

I'm no surround sound "expert", OO (FAR from it), but you need a surround sound "system" or processor to generate the proper center and rear speaker signals. These signals (once "decoded" from your source) and split into these 5 (or 7 or whatever) channels are then amplified via your 705 and these amplified signals are then routed (via speaker cables) to your 5 speakers (the surround sound processor will label each channel output as "mains" (R/L) and "rears" (R/L) and "center".....). Easy, no? :lol: Check your new TV: it probably has surround sound audio signal outs for 5 channels...or at least "audio out" that can be decoded into the 5 channels.
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:51 pm

What he said ^^^^

You need a processor that decodes 5.1 channel surround (usually Dolby 5.1, Dolby Digital, or DTS).
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:34 pm

Like for example; My Sunfire TGP-III processor has R/L > R/surround > L/surround > Center > sub (5.1 where the .1 is the sub). I only need one cable RCA from the Sunfire processor labeled "Center" to the my 5 channel amp (Sunfire 200X5) Labeled Center. Then I need a single run of speaker wire from The Center on the amp to the speaker. Of course now I need a source component that will play a DVD movie in surround sound, oh I do > The OPPO Blu-Ray. Anyway you have to have some sort of processor to decode for the center channel to work.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:00 am

What Gary said OO !
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:40 am

Bringing this thread back from the dead~

So, Bill....how did this work out for you?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:56 am

hmm. robert had a three channel decoder at carverfest. no surround. it takes two channels and converts it to three.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

TFM Carmine

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:04 am

I am not a fan of surround sound anymore, I had 4 amps that were excellent & a carver ct-27v which is made to have 5 channels: front, sub, center, & surrounds, placed all the speakers like I was informed to, & I still like old fashioned 2 channel better most concert dvd's I've bought & still 2 channel sounds better to me just my opinion lol
CT-29v,TFM-55, PM 1200
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:30 am

Surround sound is a must any more for most movies. I run three channel stereo a lot of the time with the center speaker turned down enough that you still get the stereo imaging-- it helps add a little weight to the vocals, midrange. If it's turned up too loud though it screws up the stereo sound. The only time I've ever had luck with a full surround sound for music was when I had 5 of the exact same speakers running off of a 5 channel amp and was able to use an auto setup feature on my preamp to calibrate everything. When it was setup right and you were in the listening position, if you closed your eyes you couldn't place any of the speakers-- the sound was just there, all around you. Pretty cool actually.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

TFM Carmine

Newbie 50+

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:45 am

It could be the preamp you have has more modern features what model do you have?
CT-29v,TFM-55, PM 1200
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:55 am

The preamp I was using at that time was an HK AVR 340. They offer a lot of features for the money and are great for home theater. Most of them have preouts as well so they can double as preamps. I eventually got rid of mine because it ran too hot-- even though I never used a single channel of its internal amplifer. In the summer time it would heat up my room to unbearable levels so it had to go, really a shame since I liked everything else about it.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

TFM Carmine

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:18 pm

Thanks for that info I'm a bit late on a response, but I'm gonna stick with 2 channel and a subwoofer, I changed my room around now and totally eliminated the extra amps and speakers
CT-29v,TFM-55, PM 1200
<<

cring08

TFM-35

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:20 am

I actually purchased an inexpensive, low profile Panasonic surround system for my living room.
It sounds great with movies, however when I went to listen to music...

](*,) ](*,)

It did inspire me to start my 2 channel set up in my bedroom.
...and drove me to buying the Carver gear.

Like always, it depends on your taste. I really love music, movie sound isn't that important to me, unless it's a Scorsese soundtrack. Goodfellas comes to mind. :D
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Sunfire TGP IV
Sunfire 300x2
Carver Amazing Silvers
Apple tv
Carver SD 390t
Technics SL 1950 Turntable

Basement/system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer
BBE 362 Sonic Maximizer
Nikko eq2
Cerwin Vega HED's
Klipsch SW15
Infinity RS10's
Pioneer 100 disk changer

Garage system:
Pioneer VSX something?
Polk Audio 2500
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:57 pm

Had one of those....OO then gave me his "old" av-705x. MUCH better. Coincidentally, I recently called Verizon about my "3 in 1" (cable/phone/Internet) service and found out that since 5/5/09 when I got this new package AT&T had been billing me $18 per month for REDUNDANT long distance service and "someone else" was billing me (since 6/2010) $13 per month for some kind of "web hosting" service that near as I can ascertain no one in my household signed up for! Bottom line: with these bogus charges removed I'm now getting the Fios "ultra" TV package that has all sports (NFL Redzone, etc., etc.), max HD and max movie channels (plus HBO/Cinemax free for 6 months...) for LESS money than I was paying with these bogus charges now removed. AT&T will refund (after I sent in the old phone bills with these charges) and Verizon is taking back (from scammer) 3 of the 8 months of bogus charges (most they can w/o "legal" action). Have your phone service check over your bill...you may be paying for redundant/bogus shit as well and have them put a BLOCK onto your account so no 3rd parties can bill you for "extra services". So now I'm getting tons of movies that I can enjoy with this "new" SS system: TFM-45 with EPI 1000's on the front two channels and the 705x on the center and rear channels....awesome sound!
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

cring08

TFM-35

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:26 pm

[quote="elgrau"]Had one of those....OO then gave me his "old" av-705x. MUCH better.

So OO, got another "old av-705" layin' around? :-" :-"

Yeah, as soon as I get a nice Carver power amp and set of Amazings or AL III's, I'm sure i'll be setting up a Sunfire home theater system. \:D/ \:D/

Anybody have any "old" Carver or Sunfire's to donate?
Chris

Living Room/main System:
Sunfire TGP IV
Sunfire 300x2
Carver Amazing Silvers
Apple tv
Carver SD 390t
Technics SL 1950 Turntable

Basement/system 2:
Carver MXR-130
Teac reel to reel
Musical Fidelity X-10D tube buffer