FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Center Channel Speaker?

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:51 pm

Center Channel Speaker?

Hi guys does anyone have any input on any good center channel speakers would like to hear what you guys are using! Thanks Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:49 pm

I am using a Martin Logan Cinema i. This is an amazing center channel. I can highly recommend it. You can find a good used one for $1,000.00 to 1,200.00
<<

Chuck_K

TFM-25

Post Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:36 pm

the choice of a center channel speaker should be based on matching as closely as possible the timber of your front left/right speakers. ideally you'd get a center channel speaker from the same manufacturer with the same woofers and tweeter. some people prefer the same speakers, located on the right and left side of the screen.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 pm

Well Chuck I have a set of Caver Orignal ALS's as my front speakers! That Marton Logan Cinema i looks nice but what is the difference between the Cinema and the Stage Centers anyone know off hand?
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:19 am

The Stage center by Martin Logan is a very new design. This uses the new Martin Logan (Xstat) Advanced MicroPerf stator technology which dramatically increases the sound-producing area of MartinLogan's latest-generation CLS electrostatic transducer. This increase in effective radiating area translates to higher efficiency and an even more effortless, unlimited dynamic presentation. It has gotten some very good reviews. The only problem is its big $$$. If you can afford it I think it will be a good match for your Carver speakers. I have a Cinema speaker and its more then enough to meet my needs. The Stage is also very large it is 34.6" x 12" x 10.3" So you need space for it. The Cinema is large too but still about 20% smaller than the stage.

Just know that the Stage and Cinema can dip as low as 2 ohms of impedance so a good amp is needed to drive these.
Last edited by Phantom602 on Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:10 pm

center speakers

I've been looking into the Martin Logan Logos. Any thoughts on these??? Art
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:19 pm

I have owned the ML Logos. This is an execlent center speaker. More in line with what ML used to make. The only problem is that this speakers have been around a long time. ML produced them from 1994 to 1999. So most of them are at least 10 years old. At this age ML speakers may need its panel changed. This can cost $300.00 to $500.00. So if you buy a used Logos for $900.00 then change the panel in a year or two for 300 to 500 you will have invested 1200.00 to 1400.00. Again I have owned the Logos so I know its good but for the money the Cinema or Cinema I is better. If you want to step up a bit then go with a used ML Theater center speaker it will blow the Logos and Cinema away and will cost less than the new Stage. You can find a Theater used for 1800 to 2000.00. Again be warned this speaker is getting a bit old in the tooth as well. Try to find one made in the 2000 to 2002.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:40 am

Phantom602 there is a Cinema up on ebay now but the guy said it is not the "Cinema i" just a Cinema is this an older model? Thanks Eddie!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:27 am

Just looking at specs there is no difference between the Cinema and Cinema i. The Cinema i uses a DC connector to power the electro-stat panel so its easier to mount on the wall. If you are going to mount the speaker on the wall then go with the i. If not then same the money and get the Cinema. The Cinema i will be newer though. I just dont think its worth the extra $300.00 for the i
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Logistics

Know what it's too bad we're located all over the North American continent. I'm in Canada some are in Jersey. It would be great to listen to each others systems because that's the only real way to make positive changes. All the great stats in the world don't necessarily mean great sound. I'm the type of preson who would like someone to say that there's this or that missing and here's what a person might do to fix it up. I would really like to hear systems sounding much better than mine. That way I would have something to aspire to. Kind ot like playing golf with someone whose plays a lot worse than yourself. You never do get all that much better. Oh well dream on Art.
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:50 pm

I agree it would be nice to listen to other systems. I have a few friends on the Martin Logan club that live near me and we listen to each others system from time to time. Listed below is a link to pics of my carver / ML HT system.

http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacq ... .php?t=935
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:54 am

I can attest to the compatibility of Martin Logan and Carver, but you definitely want to use a Carver amp with a lot of "umph", because like someone else said here, those ESLs can present some pretty difficult impedence loads. (the Sequels, I know, can go all the way down to a 2-ohm load, depending on volume and the kind of music)

I used to drive my Sequels with a pair of Carver Silver 7ts, and they sounded fantastic. I'd tried Rotel, Tandberg, Sony ES, Quad, and listened to Krells, Mark Levinson, and Audio Research amps driving the Sequels, and to my ear, the S7t was the sweetest sounding amp with this speaker for under $10,000. I hear the sequels driven by a pair of Mark Levinson ML-3s once--that was nice. And they sounded particularly nice driven by a pair of Audio Research 100watt tube monoblocks, but those things were something like $10,000/pair a pair, and required dedicated 60 amp breakers on my power mains...

I still have my Sequels, and am planning to get a ML Cinema or Stage center speaker for my new home-theater setup (maybe even splurge and get a pair of Scripts for the rears...) and I'll more than likely drive them all with Carver amps (Unfortunately I had to sell most of my other gear a few years ago, du to being unemployed for a long stint).

So yes, I'll completely vouch for the sweetness of the ML/Carver combo, even if the folks at Stereophile magazine think it's not good (frankly I think that particular magazine just has it out for Bob...).

Hope this is helpful!
--Richard C.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)