FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 11:17 pm

Carver AV-705x - 4 ohm ratings

<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Thu May 23, 2013 10:37 pm

Carver AV-705x - 4 ohm ratings

So I have always wondered this: what is the 5 channels driven 4 ohm rating for my Carver AV-705x.

There are no listed spec's for 4 ohms in the manual, I saw a review that listed a 293 wpc @ 4 ohm spec for 2 channels driven, but never all 5.

Just curious if one of the many Carver guru's here knew what the numbers were. I have debated swapping my 705x for a Parasound model that lists 300 wpc all channels driven.

I haven't ever needed more horsepower than I have now, but I know from my M1.0t that the speakers I use can sap some significant power for transients and want to know what kinda power I got under the hood.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri May 24, 2013 6:05 am

Re: Carver AV-705x - 4 ohm ratings

I'd venture there is not and will never be any published ratings into all channels simultaneously. Home Theater companies have been VERY careful not to publish those numbers, as it would seriously look weak next to their published ratings into 2 channels. The best you could do is find a review by someone who happened to put a unit on a bench. Good luck with that~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 24, 2013 9:26 am

Go for a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5, they double down to 400x5 at 4 ohms.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch "mini" Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Fri May 24, 2013 10:13 am

jjptkd wrote:Go for a Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5, they double down to 400x5 at 4 ohms.

If I was going to do that I would go with a Sunfire 450x5 as I know someone who ran both the 200x5 and 450x5 and the 450 was a better match for his gear (which I now own most of).

That or just go with a Sunfire TGA-7201 or 7401 and be done with it. However all those are outside my price range while their are some Parasound models (HCA-1205a, HCA-2003a & 5250) that are 300x5 @ 4 ohms and have decently high amperage ratings so I think they would pair well with my Polk LSi setup.
"You were on my Ignore List, but you are too damn entertaining, like a circus monkey, so I took you off" - H9
"We shouldn't laugh at people like you, we should pray for them. You have my prayers for a speedy rehabilitation you sad, silly little man" - Jstas
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 24, 2013 11:41 am

I've had Parasound amps, they do sound nice but they run very hot. I recently did a head to head with a HCA 3500, the Curl designed dual mono bad boy, with a Sunfire 325x2. They both sounded good but I honestly preferred the Sunfire as it did everything the 3500 did but was smoother, warmer sounding and did not even get warm to the touch. I thought it was kind of funny how the 32 lb Sunfire had no problem keeping right up with the 80+ pound monster without even breaking a sweat. Same can be said about the Mosfet Adcoms, they sound really good but add 10 degrees to the listening room.

Cinema Grands can be had for less then $800 and I believe can't be beat in their price range, but that's just my opinion.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

EndersShadow

TFM-45

Post Fri May 24, 2013 12:29 pm

jjptkd wrote:I've had Parasound amps, they do sound nice but they run very hot. I recently did a head to head with a HCA 3500, the Curl designed dual mono bad boy, with a Sunfire 325x2. They both sounded good but I honestly preferred the Sunfire as it did everything the 3500 did but was smoother, warmer sounding and did not even get warm to the touch. I thought it was kind of funny how the 32 lb Sunfire had no problem keeping right up with the 80+ pound monster without even breaking a sweat. Same can be said about the Mosfet Adcoms, they sound really good but add 10 degrees to the listening room.

Cinema Grands can be had for less then $800 and I believe can't be beat in their price range, but that's just my opinion.

The Cinema Grands are the 200x5 @ 8 ohms correct? The Cinema Grand Signatures are the 450x5 @ 8 ohms and those go for about 1200 or more IIRC.

I am not against Sunfire Cinema's especially as they do run cool like you said, I would just love to have my 705x benched so I know what its real spec's are lol....
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 24, 2013 2:02 pm

I would be VERY surprised if that amp reached anywhere near 290 wpc. Even if the power supply is up to the task there's only so many output devices per channel. Usually, best case scenario is double the 8 ohm output but that's not typically of the "A" series amps. If you check the specs of the 2 channel versions they put out about 50% more power into 4 ohms over their 8 ohm rating which would put the 705 at around 190 watts into 4 ohms, which is way more believable to me then 290. Anyway, it would be interesting to see / hear what it actually tests at. If you do bring it in somewhere for a bench test let us all know the results.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 600x2
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch RSW 15
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat May 25, 2013 10:09 pm

I think the 705 is the most under rated of all Carver amp for tunes. I find it to be excellent.
I have a lot of experience with it using different speakers.
Many toss it off as to the 125 watts.

I also have the 505 and it is better musically than most will ever own. No way you could go wrong with these amps.

Years back, got a buy on a stored/new 705 that I use today. Sent my old one to elgrau. He can attest this is an excellent amp for music.

Last year, my Sunfire 425X5 broke down and I mailed it off. I plugged in the 505 and it amazed me.

My opinion is if you just want excellent music, and don't care about ego, try these power amps which go quite cheap on ebay. Bind a couple posts for stereo and WOW.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)