FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:32 am

Carver M500T Question

<<

dar

Post Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:15 pm

Carver M500T Question

Hi All,
My Carver Amp doesn't have an on/off switch. For the last 20 years, I used a 110V switch on the back of an Adcom preamp/tuner. Now, I'm looking into upgrading, but it looks like most receivers out there allow only 100W plugged into them.

So is this Carver Amp worth keeping? Are there any remote control devices that I can switch on the power when the receiver turns on?

Thanks in advance.

Dar
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Dec 24, 2006 4:23 pm

I have simply used a powerstrip for my M500. But if it really bothers you I might be persuaded to take that old thing off your hands !
<<

dar

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 11:39 am

thx to this forum, i found the adcom ac enhancer that allows the amp to stay in the system. but, hey, i recently saw an m-500 go for nearly $600 on ebay and a least got me thinking about getting rid of it too. But not for now.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 12:17 pm

M500t

You had mentioned that you had a Carver M500t. I'm a little confused....My M500t has a power switch. Did you mean M500?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

dar

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 1:32 pm

yeah m-500. sorry.
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:34 pm

dar,

I saw that M500 auction you mentioned. People have gone insane! I'm glad I jumped on one when I did because the last M500 I bought off eBay I stole for $189! And it works and looks perfect. Maybe it's just me, but I cannot hear the difference between it and the "t" model I also have.

cheers, weitrhino
<<

dar

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 7:42 am

From the experts on this forum, sounds like the only diff with the m500 & m500T is the on/off button.
Glad I got the carver back in the system. No comparison between the clean, high power sound of the carver and the Denon 100w receiver. (Just sold an Adcom Tuner/Preamp) for this new AVR. An Adcom AC Enhancer does the trick needed for handling the power that I took for granted with the Adcom GTP. Anyways, with the Denon preouts, phono, hdmi, coax, opto...seems to provide everything...except a switched outlet in the pack that can take 500W!
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 6:57 pm

And to think you were wondering if your m500 was any good anymore because you had no on/off switch.

Glad to hear you still like the m500 now that you can switch on and off O:)
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:14 pm

Damn! I guess dar is not going to let me have his 500 now. And I was so close to talking him into it, too! :^o

cheers, weitrhino
<<

dar

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:02 am

okay help me out here. carver never seems to be mentioned by the serious professional stereophile people when considering best amps. is it just a few here that appreciate the carver sound? does the carver name make "cult status" simply cause the company went under? is the m500 the best amp carver ever produced?
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:14 am

"Best" is a completely subjective term. Better to determine what is best for you. If that happens to be a Carver product, so be it. If not, then send that 500 to me O:) Bob Carver often rankled the snobs at various publications I think because he made excellent amps at reasonably affordable prices. the magazines, to me anyway, loved to tout the greatest flavor of the month that cost a bajillion dollars that nobody could afford. Enter Carver to fill the craving for high quality sound without busting your budget while taking the exclusivity out of those windbag publications.

cheers, weitrhino
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 3:38 pm

Dar,

The only two "serious professional stereophile people" whose opinion you should be concerned with are the ones mounted on either side of your head. You're gushing about the amp in one post, and questioning your own ears after that. It's a damn good amp. Are there better? Probably so. NOTICEABLY better in every application? Maybe not. NOTICEABLY better in every application and more or as affordable? Definitely maybe not. TOMORROW you could walk into a thrift shop and find who knows what for $25.

Don't start buying a bunch of stuff in order to "trade up" until you feel a little more confident about your own abilities to discern quality sound or equipment.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:41 pm

dar wrote: is it just a few here that appreciate the carver sound?

No.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Dec 28, 2006 11:41 pm

There is a whole lot better out there but who the hell can afford it ?"I can't"
So for me the old Carver stuff is what cuts it with me. Lots of power and great warm sound for the money! and if you have those big VU meters ?
OHHHHHHHH what a show. I love my stuff and desire nothing else. \:D/
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:13 pm

dar wrote:okay help me out here. carver never seems to be mentioned by the serious professional stereophile people when considering best amps. is it just a few here that appreciate the carver sound? does the carver name make "cult status" simply cause the company went under? is the m500 the best amp carver ever produced?

If you have taken the time to read some of the posts from the members you will see that we got our Carvers way before Carver Corp closed shop. The "cult status" of Carvers was built into us in the 1980's by what Bob offered us at the time, nothing to do with the company going under.

Maybe your right that Carver never seems to be mentioned by the serious professional stereophile people. I guess we can't fool you any more, I guess you should go for a Jeff Rolland Amplifier that Stereophile Magizine has mentioned.

Would $ 20.00 be fair price for your m500 I mean..."no mentioned by the serious professional stereophile people" Sorry if I quoted you to much on the M500.
Just tell me where to send the check.
Last edited by tfm75 on Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)