FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:13 am

Carver M500T Question

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:37 pm

dar wrote:okay help me out here. does the carver name make "cult status" simply cause the company went under?

I have been a fan of Carver gear ever since I heard my Uncle Tommy"s system when I was younger. Would you consider that "cult"? I just know what I like, and I sure as hell liked his system powered by Carver. That's the day I became a fan. Now I run my system with Carver gear, and I have no doubt that I will not change my amplifiers. And I'm still a fan after having tried many amps under a grand. Yes there is probably better, but I cannot afford 80,000.00 for an amplifier, sorry.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:04 pm

dar wrote:Glad I got the carver back in the system. No comparison between the clean, high power sound of the carver and the Denon 100w receiver.

From my personal experience, you are correct.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:26 pm

I second that Treitz3 \:D/
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:10 pm

dar wrote:okay help me out here. carver never seems to be mentioned by the serious professional stereophile people when considering best amps. is it just a few here that appreciate the carver sound? does the carver name make "cult status" simply cause the company went under? is the m500 the best amp carver ever produced?

Carver is never mentioned by "serious professional stereophile people" primarily because Bob Carver made a complete mockery of the whole "tube vs transister" thing back inthe 1980's when he answered Sterophile magazine's challenge to build solid-state amps that sounded exactly like some of their coveted super-expensive tube amps. He also made a solid-state amp that matched the sound of a VERY expensive Mark Levinson amp, and tripped up ALL the listeners at Stereophile in EVERY single test. They couldn't pick the "real" amp over the Carver modded amp in ANY of their listening tests. Since then, Stereophile has dropped all advertising from all Carver-related companies, and has been on a sort of jihad against Bob and his ideas. High-end dealers don't like Carver/Sunfire because they have relatively low margin sales prices. End of discussion.

Does Carver gear classify as having a "cult following"? Well, perhaps no more than other super-high-end gear like Krell or Levinson, or Conrad Johnson, or VTL or Spectral or Mcintosh. Any audio gear that has some sort of unique claim developes a cult-like following among a small percentage of it's owners. The difference is that almost ALL Carver owners believe that Carver amps are superior to EVERY other amp in their power classes. I don't think that can be said for any other brand's owners, except maybe Spectral (which are VERY expensive, incredibly hard to find dealers for, and have, for all intents and purposes, a cult status bearing a resemblance to the Illuminati...)

As far as the best amp Carver ever produced, I think we can all agree that it is, in fact the original Silver Seven tube amp. That thing had so many KT88s in it that you needed to install a seperate air-conditioning unit in your listening room. It was HUGE (4 chassis for stereo), EXPENSIVE (I think they retailed new for over $15,000) but they sounded like NO other amp you'd ever heard.

After that, it depends on what speakers you are using, what the rest of your system includes, and what sort of music you like. If you have electrostatics or planars of any sort (Martin Logan, Magnepan, Apogee, Acoustat) or big Polks, then I'd say that either the M-4.0t, or the TFM-75 or the Silver 7t or 9t would be the best amp. If you have most other medium-sized box-type 8-ohm speakers, then just about any of Carvers amps will beat the pants off of any other brand. If you've got smallish speakers (Celestions, Cantons, Missions, Sonus Faber, small Klipsch or Polks) then some of Carvers smaller amps will make them sing without having to worry about over-powering them.

And if you're running small efficient box-speakers for surround channels, the good old M-200t or M-400 series amps are more than sufficient to bring that ambience into a realm of realism and definition that AV receivers (even high-end ones) only dream about.

The Best Amp Carver Ever Made? Depends on your system. Really...

But the M-500t is a VERY fine-sounding amp, and will drive just about any speaker you hook it up to with grace, power, and authority. In fact I've just bought one, and I'm anxious to get it hooked up to the Celestions. I've hear this combination before, and it sounded really nice.

--Richard C.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:56 pm

But the M-500t is a VERY fine-sounding amp, and will drive just about any speaker you hook it up to with grace, power, and authority. In fact I've just bought one, and I'm anxious to get it hooked up to the Celestions. I've hear this combination before, and it sounded really nice.

Man.....................................
Am I glad you said that at the end Richard.
I have 4 of those babies and love them. A great all around amp and nice to look at. \:D/
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:59 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:Man.....................................
I have 4 of those babies and love them. A great all around amp and nice to look at. \:D/

No complaints here either.........It would be nice if the M1.5t had the meters. Personally, I love 'em!

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:32 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:Man.....................................

Well, ultimately, the plan is to get THREE of them, and bridged mono, use them to drive the front 3 channels of my 5.1 setup (fronts are 2 ML Sequels and an ML Cinema) with perhaps a 4th to drive the rears...

I know that there seems to be an opinion on here that most Carver amps don't like to see a load below 8ohms when bridged, but if Carver could drive their ALS's at the CES with a pair of M-500t's bridged mono, then I don't see why I cant do the same with the Sequels. I'll just have to try it out and see.

I'd rather have a set of Silver 7t's / 9t's for my MLs, but they are just SOOOO hard to come by these days. I've heard the M-500t and love the way it sounds, so I'll try it. Plus, it's about the coolest-looking solid-state amp Carver ever made. And they will go with my C-4000t really nicely.

--Richard C.
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:07 pm

Dreamer wrote:

The difference is that almost ALL Carver owners believe that Carver amps are superior to EVERY other amp in their power classes.--Richard C.

That's a little Vain Dreamer. While we all love the carver amps we all have, I take offence at being labled that I feel Carvers are superior to all else out there.There's a lot of reasons why I love my Carvers but that's not to say I don't like others.

Right now I'm looking into an Accuphase......P-600 Amp 300watts per ch.

One of the reasons I love Carver's is the Man behind the company, he has opened the door for so many people to great products that other companys wanted to much money for.

I'm sure if there were more choices in the 80's for the performance/price that Carvers were offering maybe some of us would have something else.

I thank Bob for all of the Carver amps that I have and there the best amps I have, but I have a wish list of other amps that I will own someday so please when making statements like you did please remember we all have a brain.

The statement you made makes us Carver lovers look like up tight anal readers of Stereophile Magizine.

TFM-75
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 9:25 am

And there were no blind listening tests during the Carver Amp Challenge in Santa Fe. It was straightforward listening to the M1.0 and the Conrad- Johnson Premier Fives. It wasn't a tube vs transistor thing either. The challenge was he could make his amp sound like ANY amp out there, in 48 hours or less. It was Stereophile that chose the target amp. If you recall, after only 24 hours alone in the hotel room, he felt he had achieved his goal and called the Stereophile guys in for a listen. If you recall, they listened and came away of the opinion "They sound exactly alike.... but your amp has a much cleaner and tighter low end." If you recall, he sent them back home, went to work muddying up the low end, called them back the next day, and THAT is when the Stereophile guys threw in the towel.
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 10:11 am

bye/mx
Last edited by maddmaxxx on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 11:07 am

TFm75 and George,
You guys got it right. Good job. \:D/
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:48 pm

Did I just get annointed with holy oil or something? Of course I got it right. I'm Batman.
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:55 pm

When you gonna hop in the Bat-Jet and come show me the blunt end of that Bat-Knife? \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ O:)
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:46 pm

Just be sure to have his Favorite album ready....you know....Rush :^o

I'm still trying to figure out.....who is Robin? :-k

<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Dec 31, 2006 5:35 pm

Nobody is Robin. I work alone. Little fuck wanted union scale and health benefits. That wasn't too bad. When he asked for the keys to the B-mobile, I took it with a grain of salt. It was actually nice not to have to drive. Then he tried to slip a Rush cd into the player and THAT is when he found the unemployment office. Kids. Sheesh!

I fart in the general direction of ALL Cream wannabes, but I wait till after a good Mexican dinner for that particular band.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Theater)