FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:26 am

surround speakers

<<

rallimike

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:51 am

surround speakers

Anyone familiar with the Magnepan MMG speaker and have an opinion on their suitability as rear surrounds coupled with Amazings for the front?
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 2:29 pm

Maggie MMGs are very nice rear surrounds. They sound best in an all-Maggie system, but they should compliment your Amazings well.

Maggies are a little finicky when it comes to setup though. The MMGs really do like to be hanged directly on the wall. They won't sound their best if you use the floor stands. And you have to have them positioned just right to get the airy diffuse sound that you need for good Surround Sound. It's not intuitive at all--follow their instructions for setup and you should be alright.

Maggies can be a little power hungry too--even the little MMGs. They generally present a load around 4ohms, so be sure you have an amp with the "umph" to drive that sort of load.

I've never heard them with Amazings, but I have heard several all-Maggie surround setups, and they are VERY nice. They don't mix well with point-source (box and cone) speakers though (like most other ribbon/planar speakers). The biggest challenge with Maggies is that they generally don't have the punchy bass that makes "big" music sound real. Subwoofers (properly crossed over and set up) fix this problem though. But if you're using Amazings for your main speakers and MMGs for the rear, then the limited bass response of the Maggies isn't really an issue, and the Amazings certainly pack enough punch (when driven with the right amps) to "keep it real".

I've been switching back and forth as to whether or not I should get some MMGs myself for my rear channels, or if I should get a set of Martin Logan Scripts to match my front speakers (Sequels). The Maggies do sound very nice, and they are VERY reasonably priced. By all accounts, they are one of the best speakers in their price range for this application. And like I said, I've heard them, and REALLy like them, but then again, I LOVE the sound of planar/ribbon speakers. Your mileage may vary...

Git it a try. If you can get them on loan (or leave a deposit or something) to try them in your system, that would be best. Let your ears be the final judge.

Good luck!
--Richard C.
<<

rallimike

Post Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:32 pm

I have a 1.0T Carver to drive them, which I think are 200w, and an Outlaw sub, and I plan to wall mount them, so I think that covers your suggestions. Thanks
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:49 am

I have a set of Magnepan MMG and they are truly amazing speakers for the money. I would recommend getting the temporary mounting kit and find the best placement before doing the hard install. For the money you just can not go wrong. I am driving the MMG with a A-220. Its more then enough power for the rears.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)