FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:58 am

center speaker

<<

rallimike

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:02 pm

center speaker

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes. I have the 2 piece (4 ribbons total), brass colored ribbons from my original Amazings. Has anyone ever heard of these being rebuilt? Could I use 2, 1 on either side of my projection screen, for my center channel? No crossover, no bass speakers, just the 2 ribbons?
Seems like they'd be a good match for my Platinum front channels. Can it be done?
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:31 pm

There's an old old thread of someone doing the ribbon for center ch. Yes thay can be rebuilt PM..... Dave S..... he's the webmaster of this forum and the one and only Master ribbon rebuilder.
<<

fstik

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:46 pm

RE: Center Channel

Hi Mike,

That was my old thread about using a ribbon for a center channel. It would be nice to reuse the old ribbons again. I think DaveS could rebuild them for you. Unfortunately, the problem with the 30 inch ribbons is that they only have about .75 ohms of resistance each, so you would have to have an amp that was 1 ohm stable to run a pair of them without the amp blowing up. I considered having one rebuilt with the Kapton for the Silver/Platinum speakers, since it has 4 traces instead of 2 and might make a little more resistance/impedance. I was going to try a 48 inch ribbon that has approximately 4 ohms as a center channel, but haven't gotten to that project yet. I am also trying to upgrade my original ALS' to Plats, and thought of wiring all 4 30 inch ribbons in series for about 3 ohms of impedance, something that might be tolerated by your average amp. You would probably still want a filter/crossover to roll off the lower frequencies, or at least use an equalizer between the preamp and amp for your center channel. There were concerns raised about placing a ribbon on it's side, but I don't think that would be a great problem after speaking to DaveS about the construction of the ribbons. The only other issue might be a narrow dispersion of the sound coming out of the ribbon, but I think that could be overcome with placement. I am hoping to build the center channel with the 48 inch ribbon in the next few months, so I will share the results with everyone.

Robert

Return to Carver Home (Theater)