FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:18 pm

noob HT question

<<

LARS

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:08 pm

noob HT question

For the past 4 years now ive had a tfm-4.0 (w/blown channel) and a ct-17 pre. amp wasting away in the closet. I will be sending both to classic audio repair for maintanence next week. I only remembered i had them cuz i decided to build a HT after purchasing my new plasma screen. Anyway....How can i utilize the 4.0 amp considering i want a 5.1 speaker setup? Sorry if this is a retarded question but i come from a time when we never needed 6 speakers, just 2 big vegas got the job done for me. Thanks for the help.

-Wayne
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:47 pm

I guess what are you going to use for the 5.1 surround channels. If you use your ct-17 it only has Dolby Pro-Logic not Dolby Digital 5.1. so that means that you need to get a newer pre-amp or an outboard Dolby Digital processor to add to your ct-17.

But that means that you will need three more channels of power. 1 for the center ch and 2 for the rear surround ch's. Use the 4.0t for the main's.

Another way is to get a receiver with all the amplifier channels built in, But if you go this route make sure the receiver has "pre-out/main-in jacks" for all channels. Than just pull out the jumper for the main Channels R/L front and hook up the Carver 4.0t to the main pre-amp outputs on the receiver.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)