FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:55 pm

Favorite universal remote...?

<<

mikekohut

TFM-45

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:10 pm

Favorite universal remote...?

I *HATE* my Cambridge audio remotes - love the gear, but hate the friggin' remotes - pitiful, really.

Anyone have a favorite universal?
<<

fstik

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:31 pm

Love my Pronto... Fully programmable, touchscreen interface, Lots of pre-configured devices already out there. Pretty cheap these days on E-Prey.
<<

Bill

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 pm

Check out the logitech site to see if the harmony has your components listed.....but I like my harmony 890
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.
<<

Speedskater

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:19 pm

I hate my Harmony 880!
With the Harmony it's Logitech's way or the highway.
They make a big deal about turning all your units on/off with one button.
It's designed to let your wife run the system.
But I'll turn my stuff on and off one unit at a time when I want to.
Try to modify one function and you have to go through the whole set-up.
Like I said I hate it.
<<

Bill

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:15 pm

I got the harmony for that exact reason. I am the on;y one who knows how to operate the HT otherwise.
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.
<<

mikekohut

TFM-45

Post Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:22 pm

Pronto and Harmony, eh? And a very mixed semi-hateful rap on the Harmony. Sell me more on the Pronto, or others! :)
<<

garcianc

TFM-35

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:16 am

I have a Harmony 659 that I bought for under a $100 on sale. You can't beat it for the price. Although, like Speedskater pointed out, Logitech likes to spoon feed you through the update process. I am OK with that since, once programmed (it took 15 minutes), I rarely had to go back and change anything (YMMV).

I have heard some fellow geeks rave about Home Theater Master remotes and their ability to write macros, etc. Here's a link to a review: http://www.prillaman.net/mx500_review.html. However, none of the HTM models I have seen are "activity-based", which I really need for WAF considerations.

What I really want is something like an iPronto (Phillips TSI 6400). Here's a link to a review: http://www.hometheatermag.com/accessories/1203philips/. However, at over $1K, the expense is not justifiable IMHO.

Also, deep at the bottom of my more-mad-than-scientist to-do list I have been planning on writing some software to control my system via a serial board (http://www.irblaster.info/distribution.html) and controlling this (hopefully) using a cheap 802.11 wireless touchscreen (like a Nokia 770). The whole project should come out a lot cheaper than the Phillips TSI6400.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:20 am

I use my Sunfire for everything; it is THE most awesome remote I've ever had. Built like a tank. Only downside is 4 AA batteries that have to be replaced twice a year.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

mikekohut

TFM-45

Post Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:28 pm

Rabbi, are the Sunfire remotes all the same these days? I presume not... which one do you have/which piece of yours did it come with? Thanks!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:33 am

mikekohut wrote:Rabbi, are the Sunfire remotes all the same these days? I presume not... which one do you have/which piece of yours did it come with? Thanks!

The old ones aren't quite as good; the new ones are the same for all equipment, just modified internally for the particular component.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

mikekohut

TFM-45

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:31 am

Thanks, TN, so... how new is new in your opinion - for example, the TG series - might you know when exactly the remote improved signficantly? Thanks for any thoughts....
<<

Bill

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:03 pm

I think he is refering to the remoteIII. I have one, but it was too complicated for the roomies so I picked up a harmony 880.
You can't fix stupid.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:13 pm

Bill wrote:I think he is refering to the remoteIII. I have one, but it was too complicated for the roomies so I picked up a harmony 880.

That's correct. It has a small 2 1/2" by 2" window at the top; the older one had a window the length of the remote. It takes some studying of the manual to learn, but it's well-laid out and works great. You can program by code or do a learning remote function and apply whatever buttons you want to control most any device.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

Bill

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:28 pm

I actually liked it, but my roommates couldn't figure it out to save their life. A little button with "Watch A Movie" next to it was just what the doctor ordered. \:D/
You can't fix stupid.
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:08 pm

mikekohut wrote:Thanks, TN, so... how new is new in your opinion - for example, the TG series - might you know when exactly the remote improved signficantly? Thanks for any thoughts....

There were two versions of the original remote the one with the long LCD screen. The first ones were more of a hassle adjusting center/surround ch's as you had to run through the menu to get to the volume for those ch's. The later ones have the volume control for all ch's on the main screen, no more looking for them. Also Sonic Hologram was not on the earler first version " I could be wrong so I will ck my manual".

I have two manuals for my TGP II one for the 19" and the 17" and thanks to Eddie for the 17" manual that has the Version remote that I have with a much better interface.

Would be nice to get my hands on the one Bill has and Rabbit. But happy with what I have. I use the Sunfire remote to do all the setting up than put away and use my Theater Master for every day use. Makes a nice combo. \:D/
Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)