FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:37 pm

Carver M4.0t for HT

<<

mikeg

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:29 am

Carver M4.0t for HT

Recently I was fortunate to obtain a TFM-75 which ended up taken the place of two 4.0ts driving a pair of Silver amazings. I'm currently now left with deciding what role the 4.0ts will have, and I was thinking of utilizing them in conjunction with my home theater setup, this is where I would like to hear opinions in regards to. my setup and concerns are:

Home Theater system consists of one Denon AVR-5803a receiver, this receiver has the following specs:

170x7wpc into 8ohms dynamic power 190x7, 310x7 into 6ohms
THX Ultra 2 rated
and plenty more, just the above is relative to my question, which is:

I'm thinking of powering the front and rear channels with the M4.0ts and I'm concerned about the sonics/tonal eq of the system, will I be loosing the impact and punch that THX affords?
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:23 pm

Re: Carver M4.0t for HT

mikeg wrote:Recently I was fortunate to obtain a TFM-75 which ended up taken the place of two 4.0ts driving a pair of Silver amazings. I'm currently now left with deciding what role the 4.0ts will have,
I'm thinking of powering the front and rear channels with the M4.0ts and I'm concerned about the sonics/tonal eq of the system, will I be loosing the impact and punch that THX affords?

Cool about the TFM-75 I think that makes 3 of us now O:)

I don't think you will lose but only gain if you use your 4.0T's powering the front and rear channels, thay will play more cleaner then the AVR, but that mostly depends on how loud you watch movies.
<<

tomstat

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:31 am

Recently I was fortunate to obtain a TFM-75 which ended up taken the place of two 4.0ts driving a pair of Silver amazings. I'm currently now left with deciding what role the 4.0ts will have
You could sell one of your 4.0's to me cheap ;)

Sorry... couldn't resist!
<<

Bill

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:13 am

tomstat wrote:
Recently I was fortunate to obtain a TFM-75 which ended up taken the place of two 4.0ts driving a pair of Silver amazings. I'm currently now left with deciding what role the 4.0ts will have
You could sell one of your 4.0's to me cheap ;)

Sorry... couldn't resist!

I was thinking the same thing...... \:D/
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.
<<

mikeg

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:35 pm

:lol: I sure set myself for up that.
<<

rhiggs

TFM-45

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:24 pm

Re: Carver M4.0t for HT

mikeg wrote:Recently I was fortunate to obtain a TFM-75 which ended up taken the place of two 4.0ts driving a pair of Silver amazings. I'm currently now left with deciding what role the 4.0ts will have, and I was thinking of utilizing them in conjunction with my home theater setup, this is where I would like to hear opinions in regards to. my setup and concerns are:

Home Theater system consists of one Denon AVR-5803a receiver, this receiver has the following specs:

170x7wpc into 8ohms dynamic power 190x7, 310x7 into 6ohms
THX Ultra 2 rated
and plenty more, just the above is relative to my question, which is:

It depends on how loud you like to listen to movies and how big your HT room is. Also, when you say the rear channels, are you talking about the side surround or rear surround channels (assuming you are running a 7.1 system)?

Before I moved, I had my HT system setup as follows:

Denon AVR 2805/985:
Front and center preouts - 2 M500t and 1 TFM35X, all bridged
Rear surround (5.1 system) - Denon power (100 WPC)

When we moved, the boys wanted Carver power in their bedrooms (and who am I to deny them of that \:D/ ), so, one got the TFM-35X and the other got one of the M500t. So, I rearranged my system:

Denon AVR 2805/985:
Front Preouts - 4.0t
Center Preouts - TFM-16CB Bridged
Rear surround (5.1 system) - Denon power (100 WPC)

This system is in the Rec Room until I get time to finish my HT room. I didn't like the sound of the front stage. So, I replaced the M-4.0t and TFM-15cb with a A-753x leaving the rear channels powered by the Denon. I reallly like the way it sounds now.

Once the HT room is done, I may drive all 4 rear speakers (7.1 system) with the M500ts or the TFM35X (and buy another) or just use the Denon amps. A little experimenting is in store.

I don't think you will notice much difference, if any, using the Denon power for the surround channels, especially with your AVR-5803a. I do think you should use the same power/amp for the front stage (FL, FR & Center). That is where all the critical sound is coming from. So, you could always buy another M-4.0t amp and bridge all three for your front stage, using the Denon to power the remaining surround speakers. =D>
Last edited by rhiggs on Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Make your attacker advance through a wall of bullets. I may get
killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it,
cause it's going to be empty.

Why do we park in driveways and drive on parkways?
<<

mikeg

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:36 pm

I have come to the conclusion that I will forgo using the 4.0ts to power either the front or rear surrounds and thanks Rhiggs, yes you are correct that the critical listening is the front and center channels.

At this point I'm thinking of just saving my pennies for a Cinema Grand 200x7 or 400x7 [-o<

With that said I will have the 4.0t(s) up for sale soon, I have already given a member who expressed interest in them earlier first refusal.

Thanks
<<

Bill

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:38 pm

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!Second in line baby!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
You can't fix stupid.
George wrote:In certain configurations you need a permission slip from your Mom to bridge amps.
<<

tomstat

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:49 am

mikeg wrote:I have come to the conclusion that I will forgo using the 4.0ts to power either the front or rear surrounds and thanks Rhiggs, yes you are correct that the critical listening is the front and center channels.

At this point I'm thinking of just saving my pennies for a Cinema Grand 200x7 or 400x7 [-o<

With that said I will have the 4.0t(s) up for sale soon, I have already given a member who expressed interest in them earlier first refusal.

Thanks
PM'd you Mike... and that is one heck of a beautiful amp!!!

Return to Carver Home (Theater)