FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:50 am

Plasma/LCD opinions

<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:18 pm

Plasma/LCD opinions

Originally intended to post this on the Misc. section but figured I might get more response here.

I am shopping for a 42" or larger plasma or LCD flatscreen HDTV that I'm hoping to buy in a couple of weeks.

I am looking at a budget of somewhere between 1500-2000 and am interested in Hitachi 42 and 50 inch plasmas, Panasonic 50 inch plasma, and Philips ambilight LCDs in the 42 and 47 inch size. Black is preferred over silver finish.

Any knowledge/input is greatly appreciated.

Boomer-X
TX-11b, C-16, C-19, CT-17, CT-23, CM-1090, SD/A-490t, SD/A-360, TFM-35x (x2), TFM-42, TFM-45, AL-III+s
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:21 pm

I just went through the decision making process. I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I chose LCD over plasma because of less glare and heat.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

stereo_dog

TFM-55

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:45 am

I agree with BillD, LCD's put off much less heat and are less subject to screen burn-in. (Games, recurring images cause image burns in display) Plasma TV's have incredible images, especially with HDTV or HD movies. LCD's image quality has come a long way and rivals that of plasma sets. Be forwarned, if you do not have HDTV or HD source, images will not look better than standard CRT sets. When shopping, ask salesperson to play standard definition sources while auditioning TVs, most places only feed HD sources through LCD & plasma sets. Either way, you will like the quality of the newer TV's.
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:21 pm

Thanks guys, I should probably explain I am (hopefully) replacing a 42" Toshiba plasma I bought around X-mas time. It's ok - but entry level and I'm hoping to sell/practically give it to my younger brother and upgrade.

I'm liking the Philips LCDs for the reasons you mentioned - mainly brightness over plasma. Have heard that they don't have the black levels that plasma sets do but do notice that plasmas seem dark compared to an LCD next to one.

I just don't want to buy something and later find out that for a few hundred more dollars I could have had twice the tv. I'm sure you can relate.

Trying to find internet reviews isn't easy, tried C-net but not much info on newest models.

Boomer-X
TX-11b, C-16, C-19, CT-17, CT-23, CM-1090, SD/A-490t, SD/A-360, TFM-35x (x2), TFM-42, TFM-45, AL-III+s
<<

thall

TFM-35

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:13 pm

Have you looked at Crutchfield.com?

They don't have Phillips products but they do have a pretty good selection and lots of info.

Haven't actually seen one but the Ambilight feature of the Phillips seems pretty cool.
<<

weitrhino

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:34 pm

All the research you could hope for is available here:

http://hdguru.com/

Hope that helps!
<<

garcianc

TFM-35

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:34 am

thall wrote:Have you looked at Crutchfield.com?

They don't have Phillips products but they do have a pretty good selection and lots of info.

Haven't actually seen one but the Ambilight feature of the Phillips seems pretty cool.

Let me add to thall's comment here. Many people turn up their noses at Crutchfield.com (I was one of those). A few years ago, I decided to try them and bought an upconverting Denon DVD player with HDMI output (that's another story). Anyway, they were $10 more than the cheapest guy and I decided to try them because the other website didn't give me a warm-fussy. Not only did I get the product fast, they sent me a separate box with every possible cable I might need (including a DVI-D cable that I would have had to pay more than $40 for). They even sent me cable ties, labels, etc. Wow!

On the second comment. I am glad somebody mentioned this. The Ambilight feature in the Phillips is not only cool, it is designed to reduce eye-fatigue. Plasma monitors, in particular, can be very straining on the eyes. I wish mine would have something like that. I have been thinking about adding an after-market backlight. I wish Phillips hadn't marketed this as a gimmick, then perhaps more manufacturers would offer it.
<<

stereo_dog

TFM-55

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:22 am

I agree with thall & garcianc about Crutchfield, I have made several purchases from them over the years, from center channel speakers to power centers to speaker brackets to car speakers, they have always been helpful, even when not purchasing anything. They always include everything you need to hook up whatever you purchased, speaker connection adaptors for the car speakers I purchased. Call them, they will walk you through the TV selection process and help as much as they can.
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:36 pm

I actually bought my first Carver pieces from Crutchfield in 1995. I started getting their catalogs back in the 80s when I was in college and always anticipated getting them.

Used to be anything you bought from them was 4.95 S/H UPS two day service which was a better deal than buying it local when sales tax was added to the price. In addition to my TFM-35x and CT-23 I also bought a Blaupunkt radio and a couple sets of speakers for my cars as well as a 4 head VCR (that now resides in my bedroom closet).

Still get their catalogs on a less frequent basis but it's not the same as the days back in the late 80s - early 90s when the quality of components was greater than today - I'm probably just getting old and sentimental.

I find that Polk soundbar intriguing as a home theater solution for limited living room space.

In many ways they are responsible for my current hogging of Carver equipment as the eye candy of yesteryear is more affordable (thanks to ebay) now that I'm not a poor college student.

Thanks to all for the input - the Philips is looking better and better and if all goes right my younger brother is going to take the Toshiba off my hands around the 20th.

Boomer-X
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:16 pm

-mr bmx ; please remember not to look at the 'sunday advertisements', for at least 1 mos after purchase. seems every time i spend over a 'bill' for the household, it goes 'on sale' a wk later, [never fails].....i'm glad you guyz'es concur on lcd's ?,i hope..../mx
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:55 am

Good advice Maxxx - however it's the nature of the beast when dealing with HDTVs. They are going to keep coming down in price so one has to just take the plunge and expect it.

By the time the format changes in 2009 and everyone is broadcasting in digital HD they should be affordable to just about all households.

Funny, I remember the first flat Philips that you could hang on the wall cost about 20K when it first came out - the one I end up with will cost somewhere around a tenth of that price.

Boomer-X
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:04 am

-17,000.OO

-mr bmx ; i too remember, walking into a 'high-end' shop. believe in '95 and was shocked to see a 'picture frame', [tv], think'in 36" panasonic for 17, ! WOW. anyhoo i'm babying my zenith, [indestructable] and phillips 13" 'til '09. these will go to my office/shop, as both won't break, [oldies] !.....HOWEVER, i like the equip/gear you buy/own and am interested what you're up to.......you've never steered me wrong,
[YET]..../mx..................... OH, thankyou, mr weitrhino, for the 'link'
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:42 pm

If you can wait, Sony is coming out with the XBR4s this year. The major difference is that the scan rate is 120 Hz versus 60 Hz now (I have an XBR3). This will make fast action sequences not go blurry like they do in most sets with a 60 Hz rate.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:31 pm

Thanks for the tip Bill - XBRs are awesome - but college football season is only two months away and God willing, when I'm not watching my Cards live, I will be watching in high definition.

Boomer-X
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:11 pm

I forget all of my "decision points" (not many as i'm pretty much an impulse buyer - with rarely buying anything), but I chose LCD. Also, from a strictly "bang for buck" perspective you can't beat Vizio (Costco). Sure, others out there that are a little better, but you'll pay dearily for that extra 10-20% of "wowness"..
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)