FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:52 am

Plasma/LCD opinions

<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:28 am

I've heard that Vizios are hard to beat value wise.

Took Mrs. Boomer-X to Best Buy a couple of nights ago and she thinks the ambilight feature is cool but lost her cool as the "cost conscious bitch wife".

The "CCBW" is a shopping tool we employ whenever we know we are going to be confronted by salesmen. Her role is to be on the rag and say things like "I don't like it", "It's too expensive", or "you promised me a dishwasher first".

Past performances have been Oscar worthy to the point where I actually felt bad for the salesperson (can you imagine?).

Unfortunately, she kept going down the wall gravatating toward the more expensive TVs saying things like "my play station would look great on this" and "why don't we get the bigger one? we already had the 42" aren't we upgrading"?

By the time we were done I thought the salesman was going to give her his card for our future purchase.

Boomer-X
TX-11b, C-16, C-19, CT-17, CT-23, CM-1090, SD/A-490t, SD/A-360, TFM-35x (x2), TFM-42, TFM-45, AL-III+s
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:02 pm

Hey Boomer! I just got a new TV myself and got it from PC Richards I don't know if you have one around you but I found out they had the best price on the Sony set I was looking for! I started looking for a 46" model and ended up getting a 52" one. This sale was around the week of Fathers day and I have not seen a better price on it yet ! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

thall

TFM-35

Post Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Hey Boomer-X
Just incase you're looking to spend more money, there is a pair of Polk SDA 1Cs for sale in the ville.
Current price $200. If I thought I could bring em home and stay married... hmmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1
<<

74bronco

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:13 am

we too choose lcd over plasma,got a 42 plas ,got it to the house and could not stand all the glare off the smooth glass,it would be ok in a dark home but I have three 5x6 windows facing south in my living room and everything reflected and glared off the plas,looked at the lcd's which all have a matte screen which kills the glare and choose the samsung 46"1080p
next to all the others it had a better pic and color and great refresh rate
and the highest contrast ratio,beating some of the plasmas.we love it but alittle pricy around 2300$

another advantage the lcd's have is bulb replacement which is around 150-200$ now and should get cheaper ,plasmas die with time and cost more then what they are worth to repair !!!!
voltage squared divided by ohms=watts
-------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha vsx 661(7)m1.0t(1)m1.5t(1)m200t deceased(2)m400a's(1)tfm24,ct-7,pt2400 doing sub duty,original amazings
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:11 pm

thall wrote:Hey Boomer-X
Just incase you're looking to spend more money, there is a pair of Polk SDA 1Cs for sale in the ville.
Current price $200. If I thought I could bring em home and stay married... hmmm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... &rd=1&rd=1

THall - you would have to tempt me wouldn't you?

... and they're only about 2 1/2 miles away.

Boomer-X
TX-11b, C-16, C-19, CT-17, CT-23, CM-1090, SD/A-490t, SD/A-360, TFM-35x (x2), TFM-42, TFM-45, AL-III+s
<<

crazygreekangelo

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:46 pm

I agree with Bill... if you are looking to spend good money on an LCD the new Sony XBR4s should be fantastic. The XBR3s have the best black levels of many of the LCDs I have seen, and the Sony displays are know for their good handling of standard-def material. JVC has recently announced new 120Hz panel displays, which should be available this month.

The next closest (and less expensive) LCD option with deep blacks are the new Samsung displays with screen coating. However, these sets have the same daytime glare problem that plagues plasmas, and screen coatings are notorious for distorting the color gamut. Samsung LCD panels, in general, are excellent, and they supply them to many major brands (Sony being one of them).

Where will your display be? If it is in a dark room or home theater, a plasma display will really shine. However, if it is somewhere well-lit or with windows, you will notice screen glare that would not exist on an LCD. Also, if you are mounting the display, a light LCD might be a better choice.
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:42 pm

crazygreekangelo

Samsung's are great tvs but I'm looking to stay over 40" and under 1800.00 so for now the Philips 42"1080p ambilight LCD is the frontrunner for us. I've noticed that it has a brighter and clearer picture than the plasmas it is next to in the store.

I will start with it on a sofa table that works nicely for a A/V stand and plan to later hang it on the wall.

My living room has the windows on the north side of the house and the tv will be on a wall perpendicular to the windows so glare shouldn't be an issue.

Thanks to all you have posted their input - will be buying one soon.

Boomer-X
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 5:18 pm

HDTV follow-up

Thought I'd post a follow-up - got the Philips 42PFL7432D 42" 1080p Ambilight LCD a couple of days ago.

The picture is good on HD as expected. It's a little weaker than expected on non HD channels. In fact my old Toshiba plasma was a little clearer on non HD images especially on graphics which I notice are slightly blurry around the edges.

The ambilight feature is better than expected. It takes the dominant hue from the picure image and backwashes the wall directly behind the tv with the similar color via two rear mounted light curtains - a really neat feature especially when viewing at night.

Overall, I'm happy with it. Philips did a fine job of making a flatscreen that's pleasing to the eye. The table stand it came with is impressive compared to most others - glass and metal frame is also pleasing to the eye. Have to say I like the fact that black sets are making a comeback over silver. Just my preference but the all black look always seems more elegant.

Setup was easy and the remote and features are uncomplicated which is always a plus in my book.

I would have to admit that if you are a stickler for picture performance there are probably better choices out there in this price range - then again, there are worse choices as well.

The sound quality is only average as well but my CM-1090 and Bose 301s are going to upgrade that situation shortly.

Boomer-X
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:37 pm

-mr bmx ; i've always had good luck w/phillips....could you give me the 'outside'[screen] dimensions h x w in inches of your 42 incher ?..../mx
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
-"Don't BAN me Bro!"...el/doro
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:03 pm

Sure Maxxx

The outside dimensions are 41.25" wide and 27" tall without the stand and 29.75" with the tv placed on the stand.

Roughly 4.75" deep and screen edge to screen edge is 36.75" wide by 20.75" tall.

Weight is stated at 68 lbs.

If there is a Best Buy in your area you can check it out there. I believe I read somewhere (probably on C-net) that Sears has them too.

Take your time picking a set out and make sure you can change the channel and view non HD channels on the tv you are comtemplating.
Like I said, there are sets with a better picture than the Philips out there, so audition plenty.

Good luck

Boomer-X
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:02 pm

-mr bmx ; thankyou for the 'quick as look at you' reply....i don't really have to 'look any further', unless [knock on wood], you have an 'issue' w/her.....the housemouse has been 'hinting around' and you've done my homework !, [once again].....i apreciate..../mx

-ps, my 'eyes' can't tell the difference[their that bad!.] and you ALWAYS have a good 'grasp' on stereo gear, so i know i can trust 'it' on tv's !!!..../mx
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
<<

boomer-X

TFM-45

Post Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:27 pm

Maxxx

The only issue I have with it is that the non HD channels are a little grainier than I expected. That is the only reason I suggest you view a couple of others with non HD source channels to check the picture and make sure it meets the expectations of you and MHM.

If you have a Best Buy around you, this model goes on sale about every two weeks. You can check Bestbuy.com to see when it is on sale (around 1600.00). Normally, it is 1799.00.

I do think you and MHM would like the ambilight feature.

Boomer-X
<<

maddmaxxx

(Pair of Silver 9t's)

Post Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:10 pm

-mr bmx ; i roger that.....this is a great example of why this 'Forum' is the BEST !!!....../mx

-the 'consideration' for MHM = CLASS
-* © Küül ®™ /mx...
-Too hip gotta book
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)