FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:54 pm

ALIII's for home theater?

<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:15 am

garcianc wrote:This thread reminds me... Whatever happened to ferrari?
http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=5946&highlight=#5946

Don't know; he hasn't had a post in a looooong time...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Magnaryder

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:03 pm

bikerdude523 wrote
I have read some where that Carver ribbons radiate sound left and right but not top and bottom, to cut down on deflection from the floor and ceiling. If this is so, then laying it horizontal will destroy the sound field. The only good seat would be directly in front of it.

A driver's directivity into the vertical plain is called HASS effect. Carver ribbons have no HAAS effect reflections, this is good....most of the time. IIRC, Bob did some research concerning this phenomenom and the ribbon of the new Sunfire CRM series speakers have a different driver/or driver alignment in the center channel speaker.

Turning a 48" or 60"ribbon on it's side to use for a center channel would have it's advantages...say a really broad sweet spot. But even in my room that's one big center channel...and WTF would you put it? I would hate to sheild a 60in ribbon to sit on/around the TV...what would it weigh?

ray
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, Lucas Labs 12B4/OD3 LineStage, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Energy Reference 22 Connoisseur, Cambridge Audio Model 8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:40 pm

My personal opinion.................

Ribbons are great for (Stereo)
Don't use ribbons for surround !!!!!! WAY to directional, you need the rest of the room to blend sound.

Hate to say this... but BLOSE would even work better as sorrounds.

The ribbons are way too (pin point) in my opinion.

I would never use these for Mains... but they do sound really good as surrounds. If you can, (and I did) go audition them in a local store, and see what yuo think. Our Local BestBuy has some...
Here's what I prefer for surrounds... with a small surround sub as well.
http://www.miragespeakers.com/v2/

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 7:46 pm

Haven't seen one of these yet though...
VERY interesting center channel

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 4:02 pm

This answer your question?

Sasquatch
TnRabbit's Assistant Official OCCD Enabler.

How long a minute is, depends on what side of the bathroom door you're on.
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:06 pm

Skip

Sweet looking set-up. Gota love it \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:23 am

All the good sounds are due to what IMHO is one of Mr. Carver's finest achievements, the M-500t. The AL-III's don't hurt either. Subbass that rumbles the entire room on explosions and the dum,dum----dum,dum---- dum dum of the Jaws soundtrack.
Sasquatch

<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:35 am

I see my babies are being well cared for. O:)
<<

skip

aka (Sasquach)

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:47 am

Yes sir. I still get out to Portland once in awhile and don't want an a** whuppin from the proud original owner. Transferring Carver gear is kinda like putting one of your champion bloodline puppies up for adoption. You make dang sure they are going to a good home where they will be well treated. I know, they are just pieces of metal and wires, but to me each unit has it's own personality and I would never transfer one to an abuser.
Sasquatch

<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:52 am

I knew I made a good choice in you Skip. =D>
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:10 pm

Magnaryder wrote:A driver's directivity into the vertical plain is called HASS effect. Carver ribbons have no HAAS effect reflections, this is good....most of the time.

The Haas effect is a psychoacoustic principle relating to how humans perceive and localize sound events.

To localize an event, the computer between your ears pays attention to direct sound, early reflections and the reverberant field. Piecing these together tells you where the sound is coming from and how big the room is.

All Haas said is that if the direct and early reflections are within (IIRC) 15 to 30 milliseconds of each other your brain cannot distinguish between them as separate events.

In the LEDE (live end dead end) room treatment idea, early reflections from nearby walls where absorbed, and later reflections at and behind the listener were diffused. The idea was to separate the early reflections by at least 30 milliseconds AND group them together in arrival time (as nearly as if possible).

The end result being a direct sound, followed by a Haas 'kick' of early reflections (this time perceived as two separate events) followed by a reverberant field. The Haas 'kick' was supposed to trick the brain into hearing the original recording's acoustic space, instead of smearing the sound with reflections within the Haas limit. (ala Bose)

I might be picking nits, but the ribbon, being a dipole, will have a more figure 8 (front to back) dispersion pattern, and therefore less side wall reflections than a cone, which WILL lead to more accurate imaging in the sweet spot with little/no room treatment, but NEITHER type of transducer has Haas reflections. The reflections will either be within or exceed the Haas limit.

Enjoy!
Rich
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)