FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:26 pm

Got a Sub!!!

<<

garcianc

TFM-35

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 1:34 pm

Actually, that's pretty close. You are supposed to put the sub at your normal sitting position and then crawl around. No, that doesn't mean strap the sub to your arse while you are crawling around, although that might make a nice sequel to magnaryder's video from CF.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:49 pm

Well, I've got this sub dialed in to an acceptable level, but I need to use different settings depending on whether I'm listening to Music or watching movies...

I've downloaded a copy of RoomEQ_Wizard for my Mac, to help analyse and correct the output of this sub, but I need to find my old SPL meter, and get either a Velodyne SMS-1 or Behringer 2496 Ultraddrive Pro to do the correcting EQ. Apparently RoomEQ Wizard will program th eBehringer through it's MIDI port after it analyses the room. I don't know if it will program the SMS too, but I'm looking into that, because I think I'm leaning toward the SMS-1 because it's a much more versatile rig.

But whatever I decide to get, it's off in the future, because I've pretty much blown my Audio Wad for this year according to my sweetie... :(

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:51 pm

Dreamer wrote:But whatever I decide to get, it's off in the future, because I've pretty much blown my Audio Wad for this year according to my sweetie... :(

Damn. Richard, I feel your pain, brother. I feel your pain! :-({|=
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:52 pm

Richard,

My Sunfire manual says to dial the sub in for HT then lower it 10 db for music. Maybe that will give you a starting point....

g
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

bob p

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:02 pm

TNRabbit wrote:My Sunfire manual says to dial the sub in for HT then lower it 10 db for music. Maybe that will give you a starting point....

there's a 10dB difference between what's considered right for HT and what's right for music??? I mean, WTF?

Maybe that explains why my biamped HT doesn't sound as offensive as the HT systems I see in the stores. It has FLAT frequency response instead of an obnoxious BIG-ASSED subwoofer hump!
Carver Preamps: C-1, C-2, BillD's JVD-modded C-4000, C-9
Carver Amplifiers: BillD's C-500, M-1.5t (4) PM-1.5 (4) M-500t (2)
Repair/Restoration/Upgrade expert for all of these components.
<<

garcianc

TFM-35

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:27 pm

Dreamer wrote:I don't know if it will program the SMS too, but I'm looking into that, because I think I'm leaning toward the SMS-1 because it's a much more versatile rig.

The latest version of REW will not control the SMS-1 but it will give you the settings to use, then you just plug those in the SMS-1.
The SMS-1 can receive commands via serial port (it is designed to be daisy-chained with other SMS-1s), however, I have not seen those serial codes published anywhere (legally) and it is likely the reason the REW program does not bother programming for a direct connection.
In any case, Velodyne/Outlaw want you using THEIR calibration program built into the SMS-1.
If you do end up getting the SMS-1, like me, you will realize that that's all you need.
I only recommend staying with the Room EQ Wizard if you are going with something that does not come with its own calibration program like the Behringer.
<<

garcianc

TFM-35

Post Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:36 pm

TNRabbit wrote:Richard,
My Sunfire manual says to dial the sub in for HT then lower it 10 db for music. Maybe that will give you a starting point....
g

Sorry Richard, your wallet and your sweetie will hate me. Another reason to get the SMS-1: you can setup six different preset listening modes.
I really only use two. You guessed it: music and movies. I have been meaning to setup a third for SACDs only but I am too lazy and end up just using the remote to increase the volume on the SMS-1 by 3db or so (which still leaves my sub untouched). When I power off the SMS-1, the next time I power it back up the volume and my default settings are back.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:05 am

Richard,

Check this out; lots of good suggestions in here for sub placement, etc. Plus, it's a damned interesting read!

Can you IMAGINE having more than one of those beasts?!?

http://home.jlaudio.com/pdfs/10427.pdf
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

Magnaryder

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:01 am

Dreamer wrote:
But whatever I decide to get, it's off in the future, because I've pretty much blown my Audio Wad for this year according to my sweetie...

You have to ask? I guess keeping 'piece'(pun intended) in the family is important too....

ray...cooling it in Bucyrus 8)
Magnaryder

Its going to be used equipment when I sell it, so it may as well be used equipment when I buy it.

Tim deParavicini's E.A.R. Yoshino V20 Integrated Amplifier, Fosgate Signature Phono pre, No. 50 and 51 Carverfest Tube amps, Hammond M3 tube amp, Ariston RD-40 Turntable w/ Linn Basik LSV tonearn, Grado Statement Master1 cartridge, Cardas Silver wire service and wire block, Carver TX-8 & 11 tuners, Carver TD-12 & 1700 decks, Tascam CC-222mkII CD recorder, Carver HR-742 reciever, DBX-3BX & 200xg & 120x, CarverAudio ALV prototypes, Alesis Studio One loudspeakers, Dahlquist DQ-8s, The Carver Research DarkStar Sub and Stax Earspeakers.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT...helping the blind to hear, one valve at a time
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:35 am

Guess I'm the LUCKY one....

My GF sees it as... If you buy something, I get to buy something too...
I honestly don't think she has ever told me not to buy anything, if anything, she encourages me to buy more stuff...

THAT'S IT !!!!
I don't have a problem... It's all her fault !!! She's the bad influence !!
Man I feel better having figured that out. For a minute, I thought I was seeing the onset or the beginning stages of OCCD.

(Obsessive Carver Collecting Disorder) IT'S REAL !!!!!

Remember... Admitting that you have a problem, is the 1st step to recovery!!!!
Last edited by Toy Maker on Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:08 pm

My name is Tom Reitz and I have a OCCD. Whoo, I feel better already.

OK, all this talk about this SMS-1 got me to end up getting one. You guys are killing my wallet. #-o :D
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Metalbent

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Dreamer, still only have 1 sub?

I have 2 VA 907.2 velodynes.

I was using 1 for the left front and 1 for the right front. Now I run 1 with my center speaker and the othe for the LFE.

Wow what a difference.

I think I need another sub to put with the left front.

Anyone else dedicating a sub for the different channels?
Sunfire TGP-3 & 4, Sunfire 300 x 2 amp, Carver TFM-15cb, (3)M-500t, TFM-45, TFM 4.0, HTR-880, CD/A 390t, C-9 , Amazing Silvers

Bass go thump <(. .)> play loud it must!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:54 pm

Hey MB, thanks for giving this thread a bump. Dreamer.....get the SMS-1! That will be your last purchase and it will dial that sub, room and your mains seamlessly. I'm really digging the end result with mine in Sparky. If you don't have one by CF '08, you can check out and play around with the SMS-1 while you are there.

I rarely see them on the used market which indicates only one thing to me.....
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

faustus

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:38 pm

bob p wrote:
TNRabbit wrote:My Sunfire manual says to dial the sub in for HT then lower it 10 db for music. Maybe that will give you a starting point....

there's a 10dB difference between what's considered right for HT and what's right for music??? I mean, WTF?

The 10dB difference is due to the Dolby/DTS spec for the LFE channel. This thread offers a detailed explanation:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=748147

Long story short: you may or may not have to alter subwoofer level by 10dB depending on whether your prepro does the LFE boosting for home theater material.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:38 am

Re: Got a Sub!!!

So, Dreamer; lovin' the sub? As Maxxx says "if there's no pix, it didn't happen..." O:)
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Theater)