It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:24 am

Got a Sub!!!

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:51 pm

Re: Got a Sub!!!

Wabbit, are you trying to look for another sub? Do I sense that you aren't completely satisfied with your current sub? If I'm way off, you have permission to smack TM for my lack of not being on the ball.

BTW, got your call...just been busy as hell this weekend. Thanks.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:04 am

treitz3 wrote:Wabbit, are you trying to look for another sub? Do I sense that you aren't completely satisfied with your current sub? If I'm way off, you have permission to smack TM for my lack of not being on the ball.

Huh? Don't remember saying anything about not being satisfied....
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:12 am

Eh, just a thought. You've been inquiring about subs lately so I just put two and two together. Apparently it didn't equal 4. Carry on.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:44 am

treitz3 wrote:Eh, just a thought. You've been inquiring about subs lately so I just put two and two together. Apparently it didn't equal 4. Carry on.

Have no idea what you're tawkin' about; carrying on.... O:)
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:04 pm

Oh, last post, page two plus our phone conversation and your post on the VMPS review thread.

Carrying on the Carry on. Carry on brother. :-({|=

<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:13 pm

The comment before was asking Richard how he was liking his sub....
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:19 pm

Duly noted. O:)

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Mon May 05, 2008 11:48 pm

I do like the Velodyne. It really adds depth and punch to my Sequels, especially for movies and concert DVDs, and big classical CDs. Ive moved everything around again in my rig, since the addition of the Blu-Ray player and the aquisition of an HD-DVR from the cable company. The sub is now in the middle, between the speakers and beneath the TV (gotta love LCD-TV's--they are completely unaffected by the super-sized magnets in this 15" Velodyne) It seems to have tamed the Velodyne's output hump in the 60's and also helped integration with the Sequels too, but at a slight expense of "punch". Not having it against the side wall seems to have softened the slam a little as well. Perhaps putting it on some spikes would tighten it up again. And of course, I've always got the idea of an SMS-1 in the back of my head, but the cashflow is a little tight right now, and that will have to wait until the fall, I think...

Anyway, for now (well, really for the next several months) I'm focusing my time and money toward my other big cash-sucking hobby--the SCA. I've ordered a BIG tent--a 12'x16' marquee pavillion which should be here mid-June, and I'm busy making poles, ropes, finials, and other stuff in preperation for the big event I go to in PA every summer. I'm also planning to make a medieval-looking bedframe, a small transportable wooden-frame printing press, and we've both got a lot of garb (costume/clothes) to make by the last week of July. Plus I need to completely re-tool my fencing equipment (new rapier blades are pushing $80 each now), and perhaps get a few brewing projects rolling so they will be ready in time for the event.

Needless to say, I'm spending a lot of time with power tools, sandpaper, and smelly chemicals, and not very much time at all enjoying my wonderful system. It's just a different kind of fun, and I find my hobby interests are VERY seasonal anyway. Summers are for the SCA, spring and fall are for brewing and arsty-farsty projects, and winter is for stereo and HT...

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue May 06, 2008 9:07 pm

Richard, you have me at a loss. What Velodyne do you have?

<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed May 07, 2008 2:35 am

Dreamer wrote:I finally got a sub. Granted, it's not the one I REALLY want (The Sunfire Super) but it seems to be doing pretty good, and gives my Sequels the low-freq extension that makes them sound REALLY authoritative...

And the winner is:

a used Velodyne F-1500 B.

It's pretty musical, and has a nice relaxed but tight "thump" that should make movies a REAL treat now...

Now I just have to figure out where to put it. It can't go in the middle of the speakers, because the magnet in the Velodyne's voice coil is so powerful that it makes my TV go all wonky unless I set it out from the TV cabinet about 4ft. It looks silly set off to the side, and I'll have to get some LOOOONG cables to put it in the back of the room (which may be what I end up doing, for SAF reasons).

And I got it in a pawn shop for a pretty good deal, so selling the new purchase to my sweetie should be easy, especially after we watch a few movies with it kicked in... ;)

Now, the hard part--dialing the darn thing in. It's a servo sub, but not a DSP unit, so callibration is going to be a little tricky. I may use the "auto calibration" on my Sony receiver (that I'm using for surround processing), or I may just break down and get that Velodyne SMS-1 that I've been talking about (and drooling over) for so long...

Anyway, it sounds nice, and gives my ESL speakers the long-needed boost in the sub-40hz range that they've always needed.

--Richard

Tom, it was in the VERY FIRST post in this thread! [-(
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed May 07, 2008 9:25 pm

That's what I get for posting on the beer. Sorry about that. I thought he had another sub that he got. The Velo he has is pretty damn big. I saw it last year at his pad after CF.

Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)