It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:58 pm

I found it...center speaker

<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:05 pm

Re: I found it...center speaker

I like the finish on that center!

I see you have the port stuffed with something. You might get some relief of your bass issue with the center if you can pull it out of the cabinet when in use. Mine stand has no sides so it's not an issue for me. But even if the speaker is flush with that cab of yours, it's gonna color the sound big time.
<<

sixstringer99

Post Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:20 pm

Jim,

Thank you for the advice, I hear what you're saying. I have been tweaking it both ways and the cabinet may be adding some coloration.
Fortunately the back of the TV cabinet is completely open. The sound effects so far are real nice but I'm having a little trouble getting the voices to
become realistic. Might be the cabinet like you say. You were able to get the dialogue voices in your movie soundtracks to work, right?
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:06 pm

Yes. Center channel movie info is fine be it voice or fx. I'm x-overed at 80hz.
<<

sixstringer99

Post Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:57 pm

I don't think I can adjust my x-over.
<<

sixstringer99

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:19 pm

OK, problem solved. The manufacturer (VMPS) sent me a new ribbon tweeter and I replaced it over the weekend. The LRC's midrange ribbon speaker must have been damaged
during shipping, that's why I was having trouble getting it to sound quite right. I have to thank VMPS for the great product support, now it sounds perfect.
Great match for the sound of the Plat's ribbons. I want to compare the Plats to VMPS new V60's. The V60's look pretty amazing as well.
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:32 pm

Did you have a bad mid panel or ribbon tweet? Either way, good to hear it's taken care of.

Yea, V60's with subs that could keep up would be awesome i'm sure. However that would require I hit the lottery. RM30's with a couple SVS pb12's a bit more realistic dream for me, and odds on that are not too much better than hitting the lotto.

Once you get the LRC settled in, please give us a full report!
<<

sixstringer99

Post Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:09 pm

The LRC is mostly dialed in now. It was the mid panel that was not working, just a broken solder joint. It was very easy to replace, just 4 screws. I used some of my
best audio material to demo and and get it set up properly. There are two scene of Gladiator movie that I use for reference. The first battle scene: "release Hell" is a very good demo
and shows what a system and a center channel will do. The scene that immediately follows where they are inside of a horse drawn coach is also very revealing for voice dialogue and
subtle buggy sound affects. I am also very familiar with the Beatles Anthology with DTS 51. sound. The voices during the interview need to sound very realistic to me
to be convincing and of coarse the music in DTS 5.1 can be enveloping. I have a few new BluRays that I have been using lately as well to test the system. To my happiness,
the new LRC is doing a fine job. Note, the V60 look very reasonably priced compared to other company's competitve products, I would have to hold off on the subwoofer stacks for a while.
My Velodyne 15 inch still works fine.
<<

docadillac

TFM-25

Post Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:57 am

It looks like a good setup. I like the placement of the center under the TV.
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)