FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:25 am

I found it...center speaker

<<

sixstringer99

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:20 pm

Re: I found it...center speaker

Does this LRC speaker have the FST tweeter?
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:29 pm

Indeed it does.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:18 pm

Sooooooo Jim can you give us a review of the VMPS LRC center. [-o< How well it matches?

Thanks in advance,
engtaz
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

sixstringer99

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:55 pm

Jim, I just aquired a used LRC similar to yours but with the 20 oz. magnet mega woofers and a lot of extra internal damping. Can you tell me what were the adjustments/settings you made on the back to match your LRC to your Platinums? I have the Platinums as well. The LRC sounds a bit large as is, I haven't started tweaking it yet.
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:28 pm

Hey sixtringer99,

Mine has the megawoofs and soundcoat as well. I can tell you I'm somewhere between 12 and 2. It's tought to pull out from under the tv.

I CAN tell you not to start tweaking until you have your x-over set to near where you are going to have it (I'm assuming you are going to set the center to small) and the speaker on whatever you are using for a stand. I wasted a lot of time by tweaking in full range with the speaker away from where it was actually going to be positioned. Not very bright on my part I know, but sometimes you forget the obvious.

Please post a pic of your set up when you get the chance and keep us posted on your results!
<<

sixstringer99

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:02 pm

Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply, the LRC is a heavy beast so I can see why you had it out of position while you were trying to make adjustments. I am using the small speaker setting or "Limited" on my Krell HTS 7.1 pre-pro, it does make a difference. The little dust caps on the center of my mega-woofers are pointed, so that is why I thought yours was not the mega-woofers. Do you find that your speaker is bass heavy sounding? What is your impression of mid and tweeter's ability to realistically recreate the human voice in movie dialogue? One more question, what are you using for a center channel power amp? I will downloads some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do it on this website. Your original posting is what inspired me to make this purchase. Thanks again.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:17 pm

Easy as pie sixstringer99.

When you are in the post editor (either adding a post or editing one) just scroll down a bit and you will find the Upload Attachment section below the next dark bar.

Browse your hard disk to find the picture you want to upload, then add a file comment if you wish and hit the Add the file button.

Once the dialog box at the top left disappears, you will find a new button in this section called Place In-Line.

Position your cursor where you want the photo displayed and hit that button then you can do a preview to see if it looks OK to you before posting.

Just keep the photo under 1000 pixels or so so as to not have people have to scroll left to right to see the whole pic and from messing up the width of all other posts in the page.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:23 pm

sixstringer99 wrote:Hi Jim,

Thank you for the reply, the LRC is a heavy beast so I can see why you had it out of position while you were trying to make adjustments. I am using the small speaker setting or "Limited" on my Krell HTS 7.1 pre-pro, it does make a difference. The little dust caps on the center of my mega-woofers are pointed, so that is why I thought yours was not the mega-woofers. Do you find that your speaker is bass heavy sounding? What is your impression of mid and tweeter's ability to realistically recreate the human voice in movie dialogue? One more question, what are you using for a center channel power amp? I will downloads some pictures as soon as I can figure out how to do it on this website. Your original posting is what inspired me to make this purchase. Thanks again.

Not bass heavy at all. But that may be due to the stand I am using.

Movies are so all over the map as far as voice recording quality and flavor/sonics (IMO anyway). I did my final tweaking with a Lyle Lovette tune with piano and vox only switching between phantom and small center. Got it as close as I could by ear tonally and called it good. Of couse a single box never going to duplicate two 5' ribbons. Diple and all. The VMPS naturally has less room interaction and more "direct" sounding to me. As I think I said earier, it's no ALS.

Let us know what your results are!
<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:05 pm

After typing I felt compelled to break out that disc and see if it still held true. Although I could tell the difference when switching to phantom, I was pleasantly surprised at how little it was. Still a very happy camper!

Cymbals and brush strokes on a snare are fantastic. Sax is awesome. Vox are stunning. Again, an apple compared to the carver oranges, but a great speaker for sure.

If I ever have a chance to have a pair of thier floorstanders, I just may convert.
<<

sixstringer99

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:58 am

DSC_0001.jpg
DSC_0001.jpg (614.84 KiB) Viewed 336 times

DSC_0011.jpg
DSC_0011.jpg (510.44 KiB) Viewed 335 times

Jim,

Here are a couple files of my system. Unfortunately I've downloaded large photos but I will use the website you used for your system and upload a few more later. Sorry about the size.
Attachments
DSC_0015.jpg
DSC_0015.jpg (512.03 KiB) Viewed 328 times
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg (526.42 KiB) Viewed 328 times
P7140020.jpg
P7140020.jpg (432.07 KiB) Viewed 326 times
<<

sixstringer99

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:03 am

Wow, sorry about the size again. I did what I wasn't supposed to do. Well big speakers big pictures. If you use control - minus, you can shrink it down a bit.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:26 am

very nice equipment. If you have it on photobucket you can reduce the size there.
engtaz

C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:02 pm

engtaz wrote:very nice equipment. If you have it on photobucket you can reduce the size there.

Engtaz, no one needs Photobucket anymore. The new forum is capable of hosting its own photos. The only step anypne had to to is to make sure that pictures stay under 1000 or so pixels wide so as not to make people scroll right and left to see the whole pîcture or to get to the controls on the right side of the screen.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:53 pm

I was not sure of his source files. Mine are still on Photobucket.
engtaz

<<

sixstringer99

Post Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:30 am

If my earlier post can be removed this link has the same photos:

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/20112787/32656870
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Theater)