FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:04 pm

Scrap it or keep it??

<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Thu May 29, 2008 12:33 pm

Re: Scrap it or keep it??

frankieD wrote:.... I was happy until I got Sunfire TG III. Man what a difference. I think Dreamer hit the nail on the head. .....
Sounds like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get a Sunfire HT pre ;)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu May 29, 2008 12:39 pm

There are a couple of Ultimate Receivers on eBay right now; basically the same pre as the TG-III with the addition of 7x200 amps! They go for a lot cheaper than the pre, in general.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

RichP714

SILVER-7t

Post Thu May 29, 2008 1:02 pm

TNRabbit wrote:There are a couple of Ultimate Receivers on eBay right now; basically the same pre as the TG-III with the addition of 7x200 amps! They go for a lot cheaper than the pre, in general.
Damn rabbit! I already have a bad case of the OCCD, and have been able to avoid sunfire for awhile now, despite your enbaling ways ;)

Add to that any money I have should be going to get a new fence in the yard, and I'm screwed.

To top it off, I'm planning on building rack mount rails into the entertainment center before I put everything back in.....I might have to check the dimensions on a Sunfire and leave room to replace my Denon down the road.......
<<

tfm75

SILVER-7t

Post Thu May 29, 2008 1:33 pm

I gota stand behind these guys on the Sunfire Pre's. Just shy away from the first TGP I unless it at a great low price. Don't get me wrong I would get a TGP I if the price was right and deal with the small quarks it has, and if it died just move on. If I find one for $ 250.00 I would jump on it =D>

I have the TGP II and will keep her for the buttery smooth music that it puts out in 2ch. O:)
Between FrankieD and I we have logged in over 12,000 miles going and coming from Carverfest's. Don't let the miles in between play with your mind. Get over it, jump on a plane get to the fest and have a great time !
<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Thu May 29, 2008 7:24 pm

Yeah, I always search both Carver gear and Sunfire. I see that with that many people are "blowing out" their existing Sunfire inventory. The more I am thinking about it, I may strongly look at the piece by piece method. It will give me time to build my funds and buy the right pieces when I am ready and can get the right deal. As we all know, brand new is great, but I don't need to have the latest piece, just a quality piece.

Also, my wife and kids could give two hoots about the HT, so I may end up scrapping the whole kit and kaboodle and re-invest in more 2 ch gear!!! :D :D :D
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"
<<

smudaaar

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu May 29, 2008 7:27 pm

for the money a b&k pre is a hell of a deal!
Bob Carver built a time machine and went back in time to stop the JFK assassination. As Oswald shot, Bob met all three bullets with sound waves from a subwoofer he built, deflecting them. JFK's head exploded out of sheer amazement.
<<

icravcarver

TFM-25

Post Thu May 29, 2008 7:32 pm

I have been looking at them as well. I came close to looking at one of their AVR202's or 307's - keeping budget in mind (and keeping it simple with single unit concept). I have always wanted to try some of their gear, or at least listen to one - 2 channel amps included! I have heard about them, and hell, I am only 3 hours from Buffalo, but you think there would be a dealer near by - well I guess 1 hr drive is close by some standards. Just have to take out a home equity loan to pay for the gas! :o :o

edit - "There is a dealer 1 hr west of me!" Not to confuse anyone. The other option is 2 hrs east. (Buffalo is ~ 3 hrs west of my home.
OCCD claims another victim!!

Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: TFM-55; C-16; SD/A-490t; TD-1770; BEDROOM: HR-772
Non Carver Gear: MAIN SYSTEM: Dual CS-530 TT w/Ortofon Super OM10; POLK SDA-1C's; Phillips CDR-775 CD Burner; BSR EQ-300; BEDROOM: T.B.A.

"I may be poor, but I am rich in sound!!"
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)