FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:14 am

Sunfire 5400

<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:39 pm

Sunfire 5400

I have been watching a Sunfire amp on ebay ( Item number: 130226986408 ) and I have questions about shipping from Canada into the U.S. The $80.00 is o.k. but will there be a duty. The seller says he doesn't think so because it (the amp) is made in the U.S.

Does anybody know?
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Sunfire 5400

I depends on how he sends it. I know that UPS tacks on a big chunk for international, whereas the US Postal Service doesn't. OBI or audioassissin should know.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:36 pm

Duty should not apply since it has already been paid at time of entry but check with the US customs service for more information. The UPS fee, which is out of line, has to do with Brokerage Fees because UPS Canada uses an extrernal broker adn passes on (and hugely marks up) the brokerage fee. It is my understanding that UPS in the US operates its own Brokerage house, so fees will probably be much lower.

Check with your local FedEx or USPS office; they should be able to give you precise information about how much it will cost you overall based on weight and point of origin and if you should expect any surprize fees at time of delivery.

Remember, the charge you pay for shipping from the seller is only for SHIPPING, not for any other fees associated with importing equipment.
Last edited by OBI56 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:27 pm

No you will play I did for a cdp. The player went for around 800 dollars and I got stuck paying 40 dollars extra in duty on top of shipping! Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:44 pm

Was your CDP new or used? Also, the country of origin (you will always pay Duty on Japanese or Chinese components, rarely for US built used electronics) is important when it comes to Duty charges. Also, are you sure that you paid actual Duty charges and not for Brokerage fees (which still apply is there is no Duty payable)?

Cross border shipping is a nightmare at best and full of rules and exceptions, so it is always best to check directly with US Customs or your shipper for exact details BEFORE getting something shipped.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:57 am

Was a used Jolinda cdp!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!

Return to Carver Home (Theater)