FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:16 am

If you couldnt run Sunfire what would you run?

<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: If you couldnt run Sunfire what would you run?

Don't forget about the older Harman Kardons.
They can push allot of current and sound great. They run a little warm though !
<<

devnull

TFM-35

Post Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:39 pm

Parasound C1/C2
"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." —Dean Martin
<<

audiophile101

TFM-55

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:05 am

Mcintosh
<<

lives country ( carver )

TFM-25

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:10 am

......allready said HK

when I started years ago it was a toss-up between HK and Carver, glad now that carver won out, way more models and technology................

I used to do most of my reacearch and comparisons with....Sound and Vision, (most comprehensive magazine of all time listed all manufacturers , their equipment models, specs, and sugg. retail prices) their yearly manufacturers condensed lists, preamps, amps, cdp, tuners, turntables, speaker systems, everything audio,.. etc..........still have some older issues 84 to 96, just guessing at the moment with memory....
Last edited by lives country ( carver ) on Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
country's...pure sole...
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:14 am

Be a part of John Curls team at Parasound... :o
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:30 pm

Odyssey Stratos. Personally, I prefer it over the Sunfires. :-#

Did I just say that? :-"
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:01 pm

Even when it takes months to warm up?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:05 pm

Hehe, yes. It's worth it.

[EDIT:] Oooops! I didn't realize that I already posted in this thread until now. The Odyssey is a stereo amp, not an HT. Sorry 'bout that. ](*,)
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Well, if cost is no object, then it would be the following, in order of preference:

For AV or HT preamps, it would be Lexicon, Krell, or Balanced Audio Technology (BAT).

For amps, it would be Spectral, Audio Research or Bryston for SS, or Cary or AtmaSpherefor tubes.

If I were on a budget, it would be an Emotiva preamp, and AES SixPack monoblock tube amps, or maybe Vincent gear all around.

If I couldn't have Martin Logan speakers though, I'd sell it all, and get a REALLY good CD player and a Benchmark DAC-1 Pre, and a pair of Stax SR-007 Omega II electrostatic headphones, and just forget all about silly things like amps, cables, and speakers... ;)

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 pm

treitz3 wrote:Hehe, yes. It's worth it.

[EDIT:] Oooops! I didn't realize that I already posted in this thread until now. The Odyssey is a stereo amp, not an HT. Sorry 'bout that. ](*,)

The amount of channels an amp has makes do different in HT application. I have a 5.1 syste that is by all abouts pretty decent, and half my amps are 1 channel (mono blocks). The other two are stereo. Personally, I think the more amplifier chassis one has in his rig, the better... \:D/

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Phantom602

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:42 pm

For HT I would go with the Meridian 861 reference. It is a lot of money but it sounds amazing.
<<

lives country ( carver )

TFM-25

Post Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Mr. M-500t wrote:Don't forget about the older Harman Kardons.

no problem....purchase a nice 12 or 14 inch decorative oscillating 3 or 4 speed fan, silent running.....set it off to the side.........

circulates your room air...and the gentle breeze,....cools all your equipment......works great and in cooler months helps the gas bill ....now that's perfect... \:D/ \:D/
"ya hoo!"
country's...pure sole...
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:15 am

Mr. M-500t wrote:Don't forget about the older Harman Kardons.

I'm with you on the old HK gear! Even though I don't have Sunfire gear if I had to do something other than what I have now I would go one of two ways.

1. My old Magnepan Tympani 1d's run with several old school HK Citation amps. or

2. If I came into some serious $$$ I would try a pair of Linn Komri's (only $40,000 a pair) :shock: set up with one of their killer disc players like a Unidisk or similar all powered with PS Audio re-generators and cables. I think that set up could get me by until my Wave Radio shows up. :D

Rainman
Attachments
Linn Komri.jpg
Linn Komri.jpg (14.49 KiB) Viewed 210 times
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:34 am

I found that, before I got my TGP-III and had only a Yamaha HT receiver, it got markedly better when I used all Carver amps, rather than using any of the internal amplification. I had my C-500 on the ribbons, my A-500x on the bass of the AL-IIIs, my M-500 on the surrounds and a bridged M-400 on the center. However good it was for HT, it wasn't very musical with CDs, probably because the DACs in my DVD player (pre-Oppo) were crap, and the ones in the Yammie were no better.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:34 am

I have read several "good" reviews on the ATI amps.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Theater)