FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am

speaker cable

<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:16 am

speaker cable

I need to run over 30ft of speaker cable to my rear speakers. They are Martin Logan Scripts. Would like to have some fairly good cable. Contacted Cardas. They only sell one type of wire in bulk. They were asking $10.50/ft. american for it . I'll need close to 80 ft all said and done. I thought close to a grand to run rear speakers just a wee bit on the expensive side. Any other suggestions for fairly good quality cable. Thxs Art
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:22 am

Re: speaker cable

It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:58 am

<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:48 am

http://signalcable.com/classicspeaker.html
http://signalcable.com/ultraspeaker.html
This place seems to have reasonable prices and I plan to order from them when my "project"
speakers are finished. Good luck ! :)
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:17 pm

Signal cable is a good line,,and Frank will treat you right.Good solid, well built cables,,I have some of his PC's and speaker cables.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Tah800, try these guys in Canada. No customs hassle, GREAT cable and bananas and really decent pricing. Changed most of my speaker wiring with this stuff and was an improvement even over my bulk Monster Cable.

http://axiomaudio.com/cables.html
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:45 am

Go to the hardware store and buy a spool of outdoor-grade low-voltage lighting wire--the stuff you use to wire up landscape lighting. TNRabbit uses it in his rig at CarverFest, and it sounds pretty damn good, and it's cheaper than dirt...

For your rear speakers, you dont need to worry too much about esoteric cables. If you've got a good processor, a decent amp and good speakers, as long as the wire is low-resistance, anything that effectively conducts electricity should suffice.

I'm not joking about the low-voltage lighting wire. The stuff is one of those "sleepers" in the audio world, ESPECIALLY for non-critical applications like rear speakers.

Are you running Martin Logans elsewhere in your system? The Scripts are GREAT speakers for HT applications. I'm interested what you're using as Fronts and Center.

Check out my system (link in my signature line)...

--Richard (the unofficial Martin Logan Freak of the Carver Forum)
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:12 am

What's the gauge of the outdoor wiring?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:20 am

Both Rabbit's and mine are 12ga. The stuff rated for burial has incredibly tough insulation on it too. :)
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:13 am

WOW~ I NEVER thought I would hear Dreamer recommend plain 'ol wiring for speakers....

I'll bet Satan is shivering right now...

:lol: :D :D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:15 am

Did you slip him suppin. :lol:
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:44 pm

I will share something I learned at the Fest. That is: if you want a more "tube-like" sound put a 1.5 Ohm resistor in series with the speaker lead. This will provide 90% of the "tube sound". So even though we all thought (me too) you need low gage, thick wires that is NOT the case. I got the from Bob Carver. He said in England they routinely use "skinny" wire because it "sounds better". That alone was worth the trip. If you think I'm crazy I will tell you his response: Try It.

I hope many of you do & let us know what you think.

Meanwhile I wouldn't pay $10.00/ft until after you try the skinny (cheap) wire.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:49 pm

Frankie, you forgot to add that with that resistor, bump the bass tone control up about 1 dB to complete the "illusion"...

:D
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:03 pm

frankieD wrote:I will share something I learned at the Fest. That is: if you want a more "tube-like" sound put a 1.5 Ohm resistor in series with the speaker lead. This will provide 90% of the "tube sound". So even though we all thought (me too) you need low gage, thick wires that is NOT the case. I got the from Bob Carver. He said in England they routinely use "skinny" wire because it "sounds better". That alone was worth the trip. If you think I'm crazy I will tell you his response: Try It.

I hope many of you do & let us know what you think.

Meanwhile I wouldn't pay $10.00/ft until after you try the skinny (cheap) wire.

Frankie, the theory behind the skinny wire is that it has increased resistance at lower frequencies therefore causing an apparent bass boost in the 2 lower octaves. Now, I have read in several articles that Bob likes his bass quite a bit looser than many of us do so he would naturally prefer the skinnier wire for that bass boost. Using thicker wire flattens things out in the bass area and tightens up the sound. IMO it all boils down to a matter of preference.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:15 pm

Yes Obi it is precisly the added resistace that Bob was talking about. If you ran a long (25') cable in thin gage it might add an Ohm (maybe less) of resistance. But Bob was talking about the T-mod being mostly about extra resistance. That is across the spectrum not limited to low frequency.

All I'm saying is we all should try it and see what difference it ACTUALLY makes with thinner rather that jumper cable size speaker wires. Especially if the fat wire cost a lot. I had a conversation with Jesse who has pretty much the ultimate in that EVERY aspect of his system was the top level. My comment is that we can argue as to what difference what mod made but there is no arguing about what you hear. I don't know if his pc or ic's or speaker cable is doing it but the system was "beyond excellent" when I listened.

As to your comment on preference that is EXACTLY right. See how YOU like it and act accordingly.

FrankieD
Next

Return to Carver Home (Theater)