FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:41 pm

Sunfire power switch?

<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:06 pm

Sunfire power switch?

I have a stupid question: I never had a problem until I hooked up a Sony CD/DVD player my daughter bought me, but the speakers Pop shutting off the pre-amp, so I just started shutting off the amp first, problem solved. My question: I see a Sunfire Cinema Grand 5 Channel Power Amplifier on e-bay and have also read this. There is no "power button"? What's up with that? Once this is plugged in, is it active all the time? What if I was to purchase a Sunfire like this and have the same problem with the Pop? You can't shut down the amp first? OK, thank you for answering my stupid question.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:39 pm

Re: Sunfire power switch?

Jag, these amps idle at around 45W of power consumption and actually DO have a power switch on the back top, left hand corner that has 3 positions: Power On, Power Off and Auto On which will turn the amp on whenever a signal is present on the left front or centre input and turns the amp off within 30 seconds of no signal present. So, you can wait 30 seconds after the music stops to turn off your CDP or manually turn the amp off before turning off the CDP. But seriously, if your CDP is making such a loud popping noise when turning off, I'd contact Sony to see if it is defective or not.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:44 am

Marc, not all of them have the power switch.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:49 am

I believe you Gary, but the 2 Owners Manuals I looked at (I think that there are 4 versions of the manual; 1 for each version) showed the power switch on the back panel. It is so small that it might go unnoticed by most owners used to seeing a power switch on the front. I did download another manual from the Sunfire site (one for a 17" architectural version) and it does not have the power switch, probably because theya re meant to be built into cabinets ad the power switch would then be unreachable..
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:55 am

Jag, just remembered this. On some of the Carver preamps (C-2 in particular) you can install a 0.01 microfarad 250V disc capacitor across the switched AC plugs on the back if that is where you have the CDP plugged in to eliminate the popping sound. I found this tidbit in the technical service bulletins in the service manual.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:12 am

The manual shows the dimmer switch on the bottom of the unit, too; but some don't have it. I guess there were changes that weren't necessarily in the manuals.....I know what you mean about overlooking it, though.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:18 am

OBI56 wrote:Jag, just remembered this. On some of the Carver preamps (C-2 in particular) you can install a 0.01 microfarad 250V disc capacitor across the switched AC plugs on the back if that is where you have the CDP plugged in to eliminate the popping sound. I found this tidbit in the technical service bulletins in the service manual.

No, I don't have anything plugged into the switched on the pre-amp. I have a surge mounted on the wall that has all this, so I use the surge as the master control to turn on the amp. Thanks
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:01 am

Well, my 400~ seven has the little power switch. It also has auto that operates it by a 12v trigger. That's how I run mine. The power amp turns itself off after about 15 minutes of no input.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:15 pm

Thank you for the reply s and the explanation, That makes more sense to me now.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)