FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:19 pm

What coax is better?

<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:03 pm

What coax is better?

Anyone here know there coax cables for HT setups? Like RG6/u I think is better than most? What brands are out there, has anyone tested coax cables? If there are any installers here I to here from you guys! Thanks Eddie!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Re: What coax is better?

Certainly RG6U is better than RG59U. Are you talking audio or some other media (like video). I use RG6U cables for my subwoofer and digital S/PDIF connections like THESE. I presume you are only interested in 75 Ohm wire. For longer runs, you can use RG11U (bigger core).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:20 pm

Bill I was looking for video for Cable or Sat connections!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:35 pm

Well, if the connections are 75 Ohm — the above are about your only choices. There is a better shielded RG6UQ that would be ideal for most SAT and HD TV apps.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:51 pm

Ok Bill that is the one I was looking at my self just needed to here it from some one else and yes these are 75 ohm cable runs! Thanks Bill!

<<

JBJR

Newbie 50+

Post Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:10 pm

If it is for a sat cable you will need RG-6, and it needs to be solid copper center conductor. For sat cables I use perfect vision cable, for video applications I use Belden 1695 only. For the connectors I would only recommend using compression connectors.
M1.0t (x3), Silver 9t (x2), M200, C-4000, TX-11b,
<<

PeteW

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:51 pm

There are two types of signals we are talking about here and I haven't really seen anyone else seperate them: one is video (I am assuming component) and the other is the RF feed to the converter boxes.

For the feed coming in, especially for digital satellite, RG6 is the go to cable. Cable TV uses a smaller bandwidth than digital satellite so it is more forgiving. The best RG6 cable for satellite (since DirecTV for example uses frequencies from 5hz all the way up to 2.8 ghz!) a solid copper center conductor and quad shielding is recommended. There really isn't a "best RG6 brand" but a best construction which I mentioned above. Along with the proper cable you also need to use proper 3ghz linear compression connectors and everything in the signal line must be rated for 3ghz as well (splitters, multiswitches, barrels, etc). The final thing to pay attention to is the physical installation of the cable; stay under the max pull rating, maintain at least minimum bend radii, etc.

For video signal RG6 is really overkill. I know mentioning overkill on this forum is going to get a few laughs, but there you go. My favorite video, audio, coaxial digital audio cable is Belden 1505a Serial Digital RG59. It has more than enough bandwidth for the video signals, is smaller than RG6 so installation and rack wiring is easier, it holds its shape and bends well, and it rejects skew and signal attenuation for greater distances than standard RG59.

I hope there were a few tidbits in there that will help you out.
2-Channel System (the pool room):
Carver C-1 -> Soundcraftsmen MA5002A -> Martin Logan "The Sequel"
Also Onix XCD-99 -> Parasound TDQ-1600 -> Squeezebox Classic
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:11 pm

I don't know all the tech terms but I was told by someone who does, to get quadshield cable and the compression tool to attach the terminals with, just as was stated in the preceding post. I got everything at H Depot or Lowes (cable by the foot) and ran CATV all over the house with no problems and a very good signal too. I never heard of minimum bending radii, but it makes sense to not try too severe of a bend, 90degree couplers would be better IMO. I've never had any success with the "twist on" ends/connectors and definitely do not recommend them,period!Good luck and happy wiring! :)
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:32 am

Good info. I don't know much about cables yet and I enjoyed reading this.
Some cool Carver stuff!

Return to Carver Home (Theater)