FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:45 am

15 amp or 20 amp circuit that is the ???

<<

flash

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 am

15 amp or 20 amp circuit that is the ???

I am currently working on my home theater and I have the oportunity to run a new circuit for my home theater equipment. I am leaning towards a 20 amp circuit with the 12 gauge wire and 20 amp receptacles because there will be another outlet at a seperate wall for dehumidifier (basement). There will also be a light fixture on the same circuit aprox 100 watt total for the fixture. My Carver tfm 42 and the rest of my gear will be connected to this circuit. Should i go with a 15 amp circuit?
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:28 am

Re: 15 amp or 20 amp circuit that is the ???

Why not run a 30 amp while your there? Definitely at least the 20 amp~
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

gdb

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:33 am

As long as you're going through the exercise....run SEVERAL lines of #12 for future needs. I'd suggest running MC (metal clad) cable because it's got a shield that MAY reduce/eliminate RF interference.

http://www.copper.org/applications/elec ... _cable.jpg
<<

flash

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:51 am

I am going to be running metal conduit. Good! I'm glad you guys recommend the 20 amp.
<<

stevewithrow

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:25 pm

1st of all , I wouldn't go with the MC cable ( metal ) , unless you plan to use metal junction box,s . MC is made for commercial applications where the studs are metal . If you dont secure the MC cable with red eyes and the proper connections you could have problems later , as the wire will slide inside the metal jacket , and over time you could get a dead short . Here is what I would do . I would go with a 20 amp single pole breaker ( make sure the breaker matches the panel ; IE , square D , G E ) . from the panel I would run a 10/3 ( romex ) . This means the wire is a 10 gauge with 2 hots , a nuet and ground ( with out being there and doing a code calculation , I would just use # 10 ) . One of the hots will become a nuet . Take the extra hot and put white tape on it inside the panel . Now inside the panel you will now have a hot which will go to the breaker and 2 nuets and a ground . pull to 1st junction box . Inside this junction box you now isolate the wire you put white tape on inside the panel , make this white with tape . So now inside your box you will have 2 nuets and a hot + a ground . On one nuet share the humidifier and light , and the other nuet goes to the Recept . This way you have a dedicated nuet to the stereo . Gary mentioned a 30 amp breaker , when you get into this size the recept almost always will be a twist lock type at the recept . The bottom line is that from the panel you want 1 hot and 2 nuets and a ground . You want to isolate ( nuet ) the humidifier and light from the stereo . Hope this helps , PM if you have any questions .

Return to Carver Home (Theater)