FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:00 am

Seen it on ebay for cheap

<<

cutlass81

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:47 am

Seen it on ebay for cheap

Just me ranting a little, but.....I realize my HTR-880 was in it's day an "entry level" 5.1 receiver, but could it be that it isn't worth more than $99.00 today? Earlier this week I saw someone unload one w/o remote on ebay for that price. Even tho many people on this forum have some gear that I'm sure would make the 880 seem like a baby, I think I like my baby. And maybe it's just me, but I think the 880 is at least alittle more valuable than that. Of course, I drive a 28 year old car, have a mullett and married a girl that lived in a trailer park, so maybe I need to re-acess my values.
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:11 pm

Re: Seen it on ebay for cheap

eBay auctions are funny. I saw last week a TFM 24 go for $455 and a TFM 42 for $325. Some people pay way too much and others get a deal.

There is a "Blue Book" for audio equipment, can't remember the name of it, that you might want to check out. Maybe if someone on the forum here has a set they can tell you what it on average is going for.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:03 pm

cutlass81 wrote:Just me ranting a little, but.....I realize my HTR-880 was in it's day an "entry level" 5.1 receiver, but could it be that it isn't worth more than $99.00 today? Earlier this week I saw someone unload one w/o remote on ebay for that price. Even tho many people on this forum have some gear that I'm sure would make the 880 seem like a baby, I think I like my baby. And maybe it's just me, but I think the 880 is at least alittle more valuable than that. Of course, I drive a 28 year old car, have a mullett and married a girl that lived in a trailer park, so maybe I need to re-acess my values.

Cutlass, here are some recent (less than a year old) eBay prices for the HTR-880: $379Bin $104 $51 $159. As you can see thye vary wildly according to what shape they are in and also, especially for HT equipment, people want all of the latest gadgets, so a remote and Dolby Digital are a must.. The ultimate value of any piece of equipment is only what someone is willing to pay for it.

BTW, could you do me a favor and check the back of the unit to see where is was manufactured, or better still take a picture for the Photo Gallery please?
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

cutlass81

Post Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:18 pm

Yes, I do intend on taking some pics to put in the gallery. Also, I was gonna put a list of my other gear in as well. Nothing much special, some Integra stuff and Polk stuff. I need to get a profile thing going as well. I'm gaining interest in possibly moving into a Carver 2ch. amp. and mabye getting rid of the Integra.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:08 am

Onkyo had some pretty nice stuff, What model is your Onkyo? Why not plan ahead? that is what I'm doing but it takes time. I'm waiting for this spring when my money tree out back starts to bloom and hopefully by late summer I'll have enough scraped up. I am looking at the Sunfire Cinema Grands 5 channel. From what I have read and heard these have a Super 2 channel operation. Once this is in place I can work on the HT options. Just a though. Good luck
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:33 am

The HTR-880 is another one of those made in China pieces that was released for sale through the big box store Circuit City. It has the oval display and soft gray oval buttons just like the rest of the units that Circuit City sold like the MV-5 cdp. The MV-5 was in my opinion the biggest piece of garbage to ever have a Carver decal on it. Many people also felt the same way so all of these oval display units were labeled as garbage from China. Unfortunately your unit is most likely hurt the pricing of your unit in a fairly large way because of this.
If you look at the picture of the back panel you can see the Carver corp. Lynwood, Washington label at the top with the model # in the lower part of the label. The loop hole here was it was marketed as "designed by Carver Corp." Now the fine print- if you look closely you will see there is a very small label located in the bottom right corner below the a/c outlets that clearly reads "made in china."
The Fucktard$ who ran Mr. Carver out of his own company were the ones responsible for these units as they were in the process of riding the company into the ground.... ](*,)

Rainman
Attachments
HTR 880 front.GIF
HTR 880 front.GIF (10.78 KiB) Viewed 539 times
HTR 880 rear.JPG
HTR 880 rear.JPG (18.04 KiB) Viewed 539 times
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

cutlass81

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:44 am

Oh, I figured I had a "second fiddle" when I started searching for info on the net about this piece. If anything, I'm thinking about putting it in the B/room as a 2 ch. Sounds better/louder in 2ch mode anyway. Thanx for the obvious/info anyway Rainman.....LOL . Still though, ya have to admit for an 11yr. old receiver to be still going clean......there has to be some DNA in bigger and better units in the family out there. More than likely I'll be looking for something alittle more in the future for the mains.
<<

cutlass81

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:01 am

Jag, the Integra 6.4 is what I've had for about 4yrs. now. Same for the Integra CD,DVD players. I like em, just gettin' tired of the sound, I guess.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:53 pm

[quote="cutlass81"]Jag, the Integra 6.4 is what I've had for about 4yrs. now. Same for the Integra CD,DVD players. I like em, just gettin' tired of the sound, I guess.

I feel your pain. I think what it is, people get tired of hearing the "same sound" from their systems and want to improve the sound, be it with new cables, amps, whatever, the quest never ends. I also think what some people don't understand is they are most likely listening to "Solid State" that can sometimes sound harsh, and you want your system to sound more natural and warmer. That is what made Bob Carver famous! He took a solid state unit modifying the transfer function sounding more like expensive tube gear. When listening to music and a certain song brings a tear to your eye, then you know > your getting there.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)