FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:02 am

HDMI

<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 12:45 am

Re: HDMI

tah800 wrote:Thxs guys. I'm just about ready to put this rig together. I wish we were all closer. I'd have some of you over to go over all this stuff with me. Lots of beer provided of course.

So just where are you located, Art? I live in North Carolina, and I like Guinness... :lol:

One more thing, I forgot to mention. When you finally get to putting all this stuff together, don't bother with stuff like Monster Cables, or the crap they sell at Best Buys or other "consumer electronics" stores. Go to the "Monoprice" website--they have VERY high-quality HDMI cables (they are the same ones that ship with Oppo DVD players), and they are DIRT CHEAP. One of the added bonuses of their HDMI cables is that you can get them in just about any color of the rainbow, to color-code your connections--makes setting up (and trouble-shooting) a LOT more logical. They also have VERY good TOSLINK, subwoofer, and analog cables, and several folks on here like their speaker cables too. All their stuff is REALLY well made, and about 1/4 the price of the over-rated crap they have in the "big box stores". Go to this link:

http://www.monoprice.com/home/index.asp

Good luck putting your system together. Keep us updated, and feel free to post any other questions you have. We're a pretty diverse crew here, and can probably help you out with ANY aspect of your setup, from cabling to choosing gear, from electrical wiring to acoustic treatment, from basic construction to setting up a digital media server. Plus, most of us will DEFINITELY work for beer, and are perfectly willing to use ANY excuse to drive somewhere reasonable to hang out with someone and listen to their new system! \:D/

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:46 am

LOL Dreamer!!!! Art is located in the boonies of New Brunswick Canada, about an hour from nowhere!
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:04 am

Oh, well, in that case, maybe we should be advising Art to invest in a good digital SLR camera, a web cam, and a high-speed internet hookup...

"Virtual" ain't as good as being there, but sometimes it's plenty good enough!

Actually I have friends up in central New Hampshire that I was planning to visit sometime this summer. Could be a nice side-trip, eh? What's another 2 or 3 hours, when I'm making a 20-hour trip anyway?... :-k

Good luck with your new system Art. Feel free to pick our collective brains. Some of us just LOVE to answer questions... \:D/

--Richard
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:03 am

I must credit Toymaker for sharing this one with me! I am sure most have seen this before, but with it being mentioned more than once...... I just had to do it...

B ox
O f
$ hitty
E lectronics =D>

At our store we used to always say it is a .99 speaker in a $9.00 box and they charge you $999.00 for it!

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:05 pm

Richard, figure more like 350 to 450 miles by road through the wilds of Maine and New Brunswick but I'm sure that Art would appreciate the company!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:35 pm

[quote="OBI56"]LOL Dreamer!!!! Art is located in the boonies of New Brunswick Canada, about an hour from nowhere!

An hour from nowhere? Wow! That doesn't sound good. Maybe some of our Canadian members should give a whistle & help him out, Ummm, but they might need a four wheel drive it sounds like.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Dog sleds :lol:
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

PDR

TFM-45

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:07 pm

Bill....how did you know?? We all have a team up here!!...MUSH!!... :lol: :lol:

Canada is a big place with just over 30 million....a lot of us are an hour from anywhere.

Perry
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:30 pm

Yup Perry! 85+% of the Canadian population is located within 2 hours of the US/Canada border. The bigger problem is with 10% of the population of the US living in a territory 50% larger, that remaining 15% of the population are often pretty remote and can take a lot of time to get to. Edmonton is probably the only exception to this 2 hour rule and is, by far, the largest city outside of the border corridor.
<<

tah800

TFM-25

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:09 pm

Just to get off topic a bit . Through a friend of mine at Evolution Canada I have been introduced to a stereo line called Bel Canto. Seems to be fairly pricey stuff. Just wondered if any of you had heard of it. Seems to be made completely in the United States. The reason I was interested was that they are producing a line of audio Cables to go with it. They have engaged the Cardas company, who you probably know produces some pretty fine audio cables,to make it. I got some prices on the balanced cable specifically 2 one meter pairs and a single meter length for my center for around about $500. I've had some Cardas before and been very pleased with it. I was also looking at their CD-1 player. There's one on Ebay for around $1100. I quess these things go new for three or four grand. I also noticed that they have Balanced outputs which seems like a nice feature. Art P.S. I see you guys are giving us Canadian boys a rough time again. For all you American boys I just have two words for you GEORGE BUSH :lol:
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:40 pm

Art, yes Bel Canto is some seriously nice gear! I think Jesse was talking about some of their gear last year.
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)