It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:46 am

In case you haven't seen it...

<<

jimw

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:39 am

In case you haven't seen it...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... SS:US:1123

If you could get the ribbon up above the woof box I would think that would be an improvement. I wonder if stock ALIII x-over was utilized.

Pretty cool though.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:27 am

Re: In case you haven't seen it...

Looks like a goddamn coffin. Bet that gets some strange looks sitting in a living room. Great idea though. I think making a center with the smaller ribbons like in the CRM or CRS series from Sunfire makes a little more sense for me (sorry Jean).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Dreamer

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:39 am

The only problem with that design, is the dispersion pattern from a ribbon turned sideawyas must be VERY beamy, inthe vertical plane. I bet it has a huge, wide sweet spot, but it's probably in a vertical plane of about 1 foot. I mean, we all know how beamy the ribbons can be in a normal configuration, now just rotate that 90 degrees...
.....HT Rig • Sony STR-DG600 Receiver • Carver M-500t • Sony BDP-S1 • Sony DVP-NS3100ES • Apple Airport Express •
..............................• Martin Logan Scenarios, Logos • Realistic Minimus 7's • Velodyne F-1500b •

2 Ch. Rig • Carver C-4000t • Silver 7t's • Krell KAV-300i • Oppo DV-981HD • Benchmark DAC1-USB • MacBook Pro 17", iTunes •
......• Technics SL-1350 turntable with Sumiko headshell, leads, and Bluepoint cartridge • Martin Logan Sequels •

.........................................................-+-Click Here to see my system-+-
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:06 pm

Dreamer wrote:The only problem with that design, is the dispersion pattern from a ribbon turned sideawyas must be VERY beamy, inthe vertical plane. I bet it has a huge, wide sweet spot, but it's probably in a vertical plane of about 1 foot. I mean, we all know how beamy the ribbons can be in a normal configuration, now just rotate that 90 degrees...

Agreed. =D>
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:24 pm

I seen this one before about a year ago I think!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:56 pm

A rather unique looking one-off piece for sure. As far as I can see it seems to be a repackaged AL-!!! and that ideal of a hemispherical cross section box for the 10" woofer is really neat.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:07 pm

BillD wrote:Looks like a goddamn coffin. Bet that gets some strange looks sitting in a living room. Great idea though. I think making a center with the smaller ribbons like in the CRM or CRS series from Sunfire makes a little more sense for me (sorry Jean).

:lol: :lol: :lol: No worries at all... I like what we did but I am sure it can be improved....the sub is on the floor 5 feet from it pointed towards the centre -just like to have fun with audio...use what you have and try and make it work, its all good 8)
Would be interesting to hear it.
Ours works fairly well but still thinking about a way to throw more sound to the sides so you can hear the centre better off axis. :-k HMMMMM maybe we could bend the damn ribbon....teehee hee that would be cool...start working on it toymaker!!!!
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:16 pm

As much as I like ribbons, I don't think a 48" ribbon is the right choice for a center channel... the sweet spot is too narrow vertically IMO.
Besides, that thing is HUGE :lol:

They would have been smart to put a flat top on it too, so yo ucould put your TV on top of it....
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

rolereversal

TFM-25

Post Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Yeah it takes up much room....would be nice to mount it into the wall not that that would help- has to be pointed down towards your head, and the sofa is the length of the sweet spot. Off to the sides you just don't hear it as well.
So if you have more than 3 people watching a movie they just don't hear it right.
If your room can seat 2 rows of seating then it may work.... :shock:
So .....could you make ribbons rounded out like a baby moon hub cap to splay the sound out some? :lol:

Return to Carver Home (Theater)