FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:25 am

DPL33 and CT17

<<

KeithA0000

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:43 pm

DPL33 and CT17

Is anyone running a home theater setup using a DPL-33 and a CT-17? My TFM-15 handles the front L & R channels no problem, and the DPL-33 handles the decoding for the center channel, surround channels and subwoofer. All works great. Problem is, I have to dedicate one of my CT-17 tape outputs for this functionality. (And this is per the istructions of the DPL-33 manual.) My preference would be to use the CT-17 surround ports and/or the remote amp out ports. Is anyone doing this?
Thanks,
Keith A.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: DPL33 and CT17

Keith, your situation comes about because ofa duplication of certain parts of your system. The CT-17 is a Preamp / tuner / Dolby Processor. The DPL-33 is a Dolby Processor / low power 3 channel power amplifier. Both of these are integrated units that do not allow each section or function to be used as a separate component (with the exception of the DPL-33's Dolby processor which can be used on its own with an external 3 channel amplifier).

In your present setup, you are not using the CT-17's Dolby Processor; routing that function to your DPL-33. If you want ot use the CT-17'S internal Dolby Processor, you will have to set the DPL-33 aside and get an external 3 channel amp.

On a side note, the wiring diagrams in the DPL-33 manual take into account that you have a cassette tape deck in the mix. If this is not your case, there is a much simpler wiring setup available which does not use a tape loop which I can draw up for you if you want.
Why let facts or common sense get in the way of your opinions.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:11 pm

You the Man OBI56! oh wait, what did you call me? Let me rephrase that; You the Silly Ol Goat!! LOL!
Yes I know, not much gets by me.
<<

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:28 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:You the Man OBI56! oh wait, what did you call me? Let me rephrase that; You the Silly Ol Goat!! LOL!
Yes I know, not much gets by me.

Well Jag, the power switch WAS rather obvious IF you looked for it .... LOL!!!!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:02 pm

Well Jag, the power switch WAS rather obvious IF you looked for it .... LOL!!!!

Well OK, you got me on that one! I was having a brain fart or something, haha.
<<

KeithA0000

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:36 am

OBI56 wrote:Keith, your situation comes about because ofa duplication of certain parts of your system. The CT-17 is a Preamp / tuner / Dolby Processor. The DPL-33 is a Dolby Processor / low power 3 channel power amplifier. Both of these are integrated units that do not allow each section or function to be used as a separate component (with the exception of the DPL-33's Dolby processor which can be used on its own with an external 3 channel amplifier).

In your present setup, you are not using the CT-17's Dolby Processor; routing that function to your DPL-33. If you want ot use the CT-17'S internal Dolby Processor, you will have to set the DPL-33 aside and get an external 3 channel amp.

On a side note, the wiring diagrams in the DPL-33 manual take into account that you have a cassette tape deck in the mix. If this is not your case, there is a much simpler wiring setup available which does not use a tape loop which I can draw up for you if you want.

Thank you for your reply OBI56.
My current setup, with the DPL-33, I get 5.1: L&R driven by the ct17, and two surrounds, a center and a subwoofer from the dpl33. Would I be able to get all that from just the ct17?
Regarding the simplified wiring, I'd be interested in a simplified configuration, if you have the time.
Regards,
Keith A.

OBI56

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 pm

KeithA0000 wrote:
OBI56 wrote:Keith, your situation comes about because ofa duplication of certain parts of your system. The CT-17 is a Preamp / tuner / Dolby Processor. The DPL-33 is a Dolby Processor / low power 3 channel power amplifier. Both of these are integrated units that do not allow each section or function to be used as a separate component (with the exception of the DPL-33's Dolby processor which can be used on its own with an external 3 channel amplifier).

Thank you for your reply OBI56.
My current setup, with the DPL-33, I get 5.1: L&R driven by the ct17, and two surrounds, a center and a subwoofer from the dpl33. Would I be able to get all that from just the ct17?
Regarding the simplified wiring, I'd be interested in a simplified configuration, if you have the time.
Regards,
Keith A.

Looking at your equipment list I see that you also have an AV-64 amp which might do the trick. Since the CT-17 does not have a subwoofer output or bass management, you will have to rely on the DPL-33's Dolby Decoder as it has the required Subwoofer output and bypass its internal amplifiers and use the 4 channels from the AV-64 to drive your centre, rears and subwoofer.

The most direct way to hook everything up is to use the CT-17's main outputs to drive the main inputs on the DPL-33 and hook each one of the AV-64's 4 inputs to one of the DPL-33's line level outputs. The DPL-33 would handle all Dolby Processing. I'll try and draw you up a diagram tonight.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)