FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:33 am

Is it possible to upgrade my HR875 to Dolby Digital?

<<

Perricj

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:43 pm

Is it possible to upgrade my HR875 to Dolby Digital?

I have a HR 875 that sounds great and has never missed a beat. I would love to be able to upgrade it to Dolby Digital if possible. I would hate to retire such a great sounding receiver/amplifier.
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 7:20 pm

Nah, you can't "convert" that to Dolby Digital. In order to be able to use that receiver in any way shape or form for Dolby Digital, you'd need to accomplish a couple things. Number one, you could buy an outboard Dolby Digital Preamp/Processor and use it with your receiver if, BIG IF, the receiver has "pre-out/main-in" RCA jacks. If not, you're dead in the water, need to buy a Dolby Digital receiver, and can relegate the Carver receiver to bedroom, den, office, or garage duty.

Even with the jacks, the set-up might appear to you to be a kind of Rube Goldberg affair. Definitely won't be very user friendly to the untrained as well.
<<

Perricj

Post Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:43 pm

Thanks. Does Carver make a new reciever and where can I buy one??
<<

George

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:16 pm

Yes Carver does make a new receiver. You don't want to rush out and buy one. I have heard of reliability issues with Carver Dolby Digital receiver CA-1000. It's the only receiver marketed by Carver at this time, unless I'm mistaken.

Bob Carver sells receivers under the name Sunfire. There is glowing praise for those.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)