FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:13 pm

"Power Steering Feature"

<<

CLPOLK1

Post Fri May 08, 2009 10:13 am

"Power Steering Feature"

"Power Steering Feature"Is this something all amps have? Or is it just Carver.

Thanks Jim
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri May 08, 2009 10:19 am

Re: "Power Steering Feature"

I know a lot of Carver amps have this. I am sure someone here can give you a list of the ones that do. Not all amps power steer but I am sure there are others out there other than Carver can do this. I just don't know what ones.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Fri May 08, 2009 10:35 am

Welcome CLPOLK1
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:05 am

Clpolk, I have never heard of power steering before. What piece of gear are you referring too?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

CLPOLK1

Post Fri May 08, 2009 11:26 am

Me either I read about it here in a center channel thread.

Dave, the TFM-6 is the smallest stereo amp that Carver made. Rather than using it bridged, you should consider using it in mono mode (only 1 channel conencted) so that he power steering feature borrows power from the unused channel if and when needed. This will give you almost as much power but with much better damping and bass control. One thing to remember is that the TFM-6c is NOT bridgeable anyways, only the TFM-6cb is and only into an 8 ohm load, not a 4 ohm one.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri May 08, 2009 1:08 pm

Well, that figures as I'm a 2-channel guy. Welcome to the forum.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri May 08, 2009 3:21 pm

This is verbatim out of my M-400 Owner's Manual
The M-400 is remarkably efficient: considerably more efficinet than conventional amplifiers. Its power supply can momentarily "assign" power as required: Unused power from one channel is available to the other by as much as 300 watts.
But I don't necessarily think this is the sole province of Magnetic Field amplifiers. Maybe some EE can step in here and help us out, but it seems to me that any rail switching stereo amp that shares a power supply should be able to do the same thing if the output devices can handle more current. With only one channel driven, the power supply can still deliver most of its power to that channel, with only the power required for the low rail on the other channel subtracted. An M-400 has three rails. An M-500 has only two, so it should be able to deliver proportionately less.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Return to Carver Home (Theater)