It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:53 am

av 806x info ?

<<

jjwm27

Newbie 50+

Post Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:41 pm

av 806x info ?

hello
i just found this site and it is great to see so many other carver fans, i never knew there were so many of us.
here is my question i hope someone can help me out with, i just bought an av 806 amp, which i really love, it didnt come with the manual and i need to know the specs on it and what some of the connections are.
i would also like to know if anyone knows where i can get a manual for it?
i have been looking on ebay and no luck. i seen somewhere that you can bridge the amp, i dont know if this is true but if you can how is it done?
i have a pioneer elite vsx 54tx with 110x7w and i must say it sounds good, but i am now using it for a preamp through the carver and now it sounds GREAT, not a lot louder, just a lot better.
any help would be great as i like to have all the info i can on all my audio gear.
thanks.
<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:21 am

<<

jjwm27

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:14 am

hello
thanks for the reply
i already looked there and no instruction manual, just a Carver AV-806x Power Amp Schematics & Layouts, which i already have. thanks.
i dont need an original manual just a copy with connection information.
thanks again.
<<

Sean

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:41 am

Re: av 806x info ?

Did you find an owners' manual? I am also looking for one, and none of the websites that sell manuals have the 806x one. Please let me know if you find one in PDF that you could send me. I will pay a reasonable fee via paypal.
------------
My gear:
HT and music at home:
Amps: Carver 806x (fronts), Carver TFM 15cb (rear)
Pre-amp: JBL Professional (JBL badged Lexicon MC-6)
Speakers: B&W 805 Matrix (fronts), B&W 601 (rear)
Sub: Epik Vanquish
Music at the office:
Amp: Sherwood S5000 II tube integrated
Speakers: B&W 620
<<

Sean

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:53 am

Actually, I did just find the manual through vintageaudiomanuals - $12 delivered in paper form, seems reasonable enough.

I do have another question about using AV 806x though - I am presently using my HT receiver (NAD T763) as the preamp. It works fine, but I thought I should get a preamp and sell the NAD while it still has value. Do certain preamps sound better with Carver amps? I definitely want to spend under $1k on this.

How much do people think HDMI matters for audio? I am presently sending the audio from my Direct TV box and DVD via HDMI directly to the TV and using Toslink optical out of the TV back to my receiver. This seems to work fine, but sometimes if I turn my TV on to an analog signal, it has no sound, and I need to restart the TV on an HD station to get sound back. Does HDMI direct from DVD and cable box sound better than being run through the TV first?

I ask this because I am presently debating between getting the new Emotiva UMC-1 ($699), the Outlaw 970 (presently $299 on super sale), or waiting until all the Emotiva freaks get their UMC-1 preamps on order and pick up an earlier Emotiva preamp at a discount (less than $300 perhaps). The new UMC-1 would allow for HDMI audio to go direct to the preamp, which seems convenient, but do you think it will make a difference in sound? Any opinions on which sounds better with Carver amps - Emotiva or Outlaw?

.....or should I look for something like an earlier used Rotel on Ebay?

This will be my first preamp - I am a newbie.

Thanks for your help in advance.
------------
My gear:
HT and music at home:
Music at the office:
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:16 am

Outlaw Audio is excellent value for $$$.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Sean

Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:53 am

You think going for the Outlaw 970 at such a cheap price might be wiser than waiting for the new fancy Emotiva at over twice the price just to get HDMI audio in and those new codecs like True HD, etc.? Also, is it your opinion that Outlaw is a better product than Emotiva or would sound better with Carver amps?

I do like Emotiva's policy of allowing you to later upgrade with a 40% discount on new processors....that is if they survive long enough to stay good on that promise.

I know there have been plenty Emotiva threads here, and I don't want to get people into that, but most of what I find about these two companies in forums relates to their amps, not their processors. I am only interested in processors/preamps at the moment. Since this would be my first processor/preamp. I am not ever really sure if different ones sound that differently with the amp.

Any opinions people have on this are welcome.

Thanks in advance.
------------
My gear:
HT and music at home:
Music at the office:

Return to Carver Home (Theater)