It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:44 am

Subwoofer Advice?

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Subwoofer Advice?

I think he sold those ???
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:42 pm

I thought so to... to finance his divorce.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:08 pm

Yeah, he sold those. I was just surprised that he didn't mention them. Oh, and it would have taken a LOT more than those to finance the big D with that bitch... #-o
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Toy Maker wrote:It's pretty far outside your budget, but you might want to take a look at one of these anyway...
One of those things where after you hear them, the price won't matter to you much anymore !!!
Try to find a local shop that has one, go take a drive, and play for the day!
You WON'T be sorry !! They are worth saving your pennies a few more months for, I promise !

http://home.jlaudio.com/

Used prices on Audiogon arn't that crazy either
http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/srch_fs ... hstring=jl

Thanks ToyMaker, Man! great reviews on these! I book marked that one! =D>
<<

Breaking Glass

M-400t CUBE

Post Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:18 pm

Whatever you do make sure you buy two subs, I made the mistake of just buying one ULD18 from Velodyne and I should d have got 2 - 12” or 2 - 15”. They say you only need one in the low frequency but the minute I put it in the system I could tell a difference. My main speakers would go almost as low as the Velodyne (snell type B’s) but I sometimes drove them to hard and would rattle the woofers. I ended up taking the sub out and just not turning it up as loud.
<<

mr._bowtie

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:39 am

Toy Maker... Yeah he would love to be able to get ahold of one of those bad boys but they are definatly a little more then we can swing. Ive run a bunch of JL car subs and always liked em. As I understand it that is the same driver as the car audio JL 13 W7?!?!

Breaking Glass. Thanks for the input... Maybe well look into getting 2 slightly cheaper 12"ers
What size room were you putting your setup in?
Brains... Sunfire TGP II, LG BH100, BSR EQ3000, Oppo DV-980H
Brawn... Carver M1.5T, Crown DC300A
Beauty... Infinity Referance Six's, Infinity Beta ES250's, Infinity Entra Sub
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm

From what they tell me it's not a W7... something different, but close to it.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:59 pm

Toy Maker wrote:From what they tell me it's not a W7... something different, but close to it.

The W7 in car audio form is slightly smaller than the driver used in the home subs. The Fathom/Gotham driver is a hybrid that is tweaked & has about a 4" ( :shock: ) excursion. From their website:

You won't find an off-the-shelf woofer in any JL Audio home subwoofer because designing and building superior subwoofer drivers lies at the core of our passion for audio.

For the last decade, JL Audio has been at the forefront of research into fundamental loudspeaker behavior. The company has developed proprietary electromagnetic and suspension analysis systems and invested heavily in state-of-the-art testing and manufacturing systems. JL Audio's intense focus on research has borne subwoofer driver designs widely considered as reference standards for linear displacement and dynamic stability. It has also resulted in numerous U.S. and International Patents issued for technologies that refine and extend the performance envelope of the dynamic driver.

JL Audio's experience with long excursion woofers is a perfect foil to the intense low frequency demands of home theater program material. The drivers used in Gotham® and Fathom® offer a performance envelope so vast, that we can deliver exceptional output without resorting to aggressive electronic limiting or compression.

Driver Technologies:
DMA-Optimized Motor System

DMA is JL Audio's proprietary Dynamic Motor Analysis system aimed at improving dynamic motor behavior. As a result of DMA optimization, our loudspeaker's motor systems remain linear in force over an extreme range of excursion while maintaining a highly stable fixed magnetic field over a wide power range. This leads to vastly reduced distortion and accurate transient performance... or put simply: tight, clean, articulate bass.

OverRoll Surround
(U.S. Patent #5,687,247 and #5,949,898)

The OverRoll surround spans over the driver's mounting flange, utilizing available diameter wasted in conventional speakers. This allows the use of the wider roll necessary to control high-excursions without sacrificing precious cone area.

W-Cone
(U.S. Patent #6,496,590)
The W-Cone is a unit-body cone assembly that delivers astonishing cone stiffness with minimal mass. The shape also provides incredible torsional rigidity, which is critical to maintaining voice coil alignment at the suspension limits.

Floating-Cone Attach Method
(U.S. Patent #6,501,844)
This assembly technique ensures proper surround geometry in the assembled speaker for better excursion control and dynamic voice coil alignment.

Plateau-Reinforced Spider Attachment
(U.S. Patent #6,118,884)
A derivative of JL Audio's VRC technology, this bulletproof suspension attachment relieves stress from the spider material at high-excursions for enhanced reliability.

Elevated Frame Cooling Technology
(U.S. Patent #6,219,431 and #6,229,902)
This feature delivers cool air through slots directly above the top-plate to the voice coil of the speaker. This not only enhances power handling, but also sound quality by minimizing dynamic parameter shifts and power compression.

Radially Cross-Drilled Pole Piece
(U.S. Patent #6,243,479)
This innovative venting system greatly enhances thermal dissipation and power handling by directing air flow onto the voice coil former, working in conjunction with the Elevated Frame technology.

In addition to the patented technologies listed above, multiple U.S. and International patents are currently pending.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

mr._bowtie

M-400t CUBE

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Thats what I was thinkin. Same basic thing just minor changes to get it to work in a home environment. Anyone know what ohm the f113 runs at?
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:51 pm

mr._bowtie wrote:Thats what I was thinkin. Same basic thing just minor changes to get it to work in a home environment. Anyone know what ohm the f113 runs at?

Somewhere between 3 and 4 Ohms they said.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

ArthurFromCanada

Post Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:45 pm

Gents,

JL Audio is the way to go if your budget can afford it. They are the cat's meow. Period.

I've been monitoring them on Audiogon over a 2 month period and found excellent condition used F113s for $1750 to $2000.

This F113 was just sold on Audiogon for $1790. But at that price, you got to snatch 'em quick because they won't last.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl? ... ce-reduced

I couldn't afford the JLs, so I decided to go with Velodyne, which is a very respectable sub manufacturer. All they do is subs and they're very good at it. I own one and they do sound very nice.

Of course, Sunfire subs are fantastic as well, but it's hard to get them for a reasonable price in Canada. Cheapest I found was around $1200 (for a used TS-EQ12). For that price, I pay a few hundred more and buy a JL Audio F113.

Art
<<

mr._bowtie

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:58 am

I wish the JL's were in our price range. But alas they are not. We are just poor people lol.

Id say we will likely start out with one Sunfire and go from there. Preferably a 12" version if it can be found.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:52 pm

mr._bowtie wrote:I wish the JL's were in our price range. But alas they are not. We are just poor people lol.

Id say we will likely start out with one Sunfire and go from there. Preferably a 12" version if it can be found.

Great, good choice mr._bowtie, \:D/
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:01 am

If you go with any sub, I'd recommend one with an EQ circuit. You have no idea how a sub is going to couple with your room. You can find that at 40Hz it's overwhelming and at 60Hz it can't be heard.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:13 pm

check my posts - subs are not the answer, just part of the fun.
PreviousNext

Return to Carver Home (Theater)