FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:46 pm

Treitz3's concept CARVER powered truck stereo rig....Advice?

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri May 21, 2010 2:50 pm

Treitz3's concept CARVER powered truck stereo rig....Advice?

Well, after twenty years of listening to nothing but stock equipment along with having no CDP whatsoever in any of the vehicles I have owned, I am finally biting the bullet and building me a modest car [truck] stereo system. It is currently in a concept stage but I would like to have any input you car audio buffs may have to offer as I have very limited knowledge when it comes to car/truck audio. I am in absolutely no hurry at all.

The last and only car system I have had the pleasure of owning was in a 1979 Pontiac Firebird Trans-Am. "Julie" was the name of that car as I ABSOLUTELY swore that Pontiac made that car specifically for me. Man, did I love that car! Anyhoo, back to the system in her......I had some kind of head unit that was pretty powerful for an all-in-one head unit. Most likely a Pioneer, Sony or Kenwood. I really can't remember as that was many, many, many moons ago. Below that, I had a twelve band EQ. I kept the front speakers stock and replaced the rear deck speakers with two way 6"X9" Alpine speakers.

Holy Crap, did that system give me a lot of enjoyment! It had part to do with dumb luck with the synergy of the components and a lot to do with the F-Type body the TA had. Many great memories came from that system. There were times when folks would come up and ask where the sub was. I told them with the biggest shit-eatin' grin on my face that I had no sub.

Gary [TNRabbit] recently sold me a mint condition, brand new, out of the box Carver K-MOS 2200 amplifier. The one I was lucky enough to acquire is white and not black as shown in the picture below but it's the only photo I could find on the net today without looking too gawd awfully hard.....

*PURCHASED*

Here's what I'm planning on using for power storage. A 1Mf cap.
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/stingershk4141.aspx
*PLANS FOR CAP SCRAPPED*

Here's the speakers for the front doors. I'll have to figure out where I would like to mount the tweeters. The kit comes with flush, spider and pivot-type mounts. I'm kinda thinking about the swivel option right now.....yeah, the swivel option. I think that's what I will do.

*PURCHASED* DO NOT ORDER FROM THIS COMPANY, FYI!!!!
Go to page three of this thread to see why....

http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/alpin ... nAodVzpLKQ

Today at BB, I came across one HELL of a deal for hookup crap. It may not have everything but it got me started down the path the right way and for CHEAP! I got this kit for $23.53, no shit. Apparently they are discontinuing the Rokford Fosgate line and I was the right guy at the right place at the right time. I might even go back to purchase the other kit they had to make a few bucks.....

*PURCHASED*

The head unit/receiver I chose is an Alpine CDA-9887. I have already ordered this unit for $215.00 shipped to my door with extra accessories and the remote control. The remote is sort of stupid since the unit is easily within less than an arm distance from me when driving but it came with the deal, so I'm not at all ashamed. It might come in handy one day, who knows....

This unit has the normally optional Alpine PXA H-100 "Imprint" audio processor built into the unit. What that does is time correction and over 500 EQ settings to tailor the sound to the specific vehicle. I'm gonna have to hook it up to the laptop to really make it work its magic but it pretty much does the same thing the Velodyne SMS-1 does for my home rig, only for mobile audio.

Here's a link to the specs...
http://alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/pr ... l=CDA-9887

*PURCHASED*

Now here's where I could use some advise or words of wisdom. This setup listed so far does not include speakers for the rear. What I have space for is 4"x6" speakers. I have been advised to just "let them go" and run without them. If I do go with them, apparently I will have either balance or fade and not both. I kinda want both to be honest with you but that may require another amplifier. To go with the same timbre, I will go with these Alpine speakers.

*PURCHASED*
http://www.bizrate.com/car-speakers/alp ... 407724390/

Should I go ahead and plan on getting rear speakers or do you think what I have listed above is enough? What would you do?
Just remember, I prefer accuracy and I DO NOT want to be the asshole who shakes everything within a three block radius. If I do get the rear speakers, what additional equipment would I need or what would you recommend?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:05 pm

Re: Treitz3's concept CARVER powered truck stereo rig....Adv

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 21, 2010 3:42 pm

Rear speaker are nice. As you know, sometimes cutting off the front and putting on elevator music in the rear is nice, especially if your bride is in the front yapping.

Also fun might be sticking in a small powered sub. http://signature.crutchfield.com/s_108BASSLIN/Infinity-Basslink.html?o=n&tp=114 A guy like you could get entertainment over many miles just trying to get the thing to mix in well.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri May 21, 2010 4:58 pm

I dunno what it would be like without rears in a car????? The only good system I had had besides the one I put in my 78 T/A (still have) is the stock upgrade system in my Camry made by JBL. I know in my 87 T/A the sound is tinny and weak. It may be because the speakers are crap or the placement. I know in that vehicle, the rears sound like crap compared to the fronts. I know this doesn't help, but it might be pertinent in no way possible. :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri May 21, 2010 6:13 pm

Well, you all have to remember, I have a fleet truck that's stock. It's a regular cab truck with a long bed. Chevy Silverado 2500HD to be exact. The rear window is within 6-8" away from the headrest of the backseat.

The image above is my actual truck . The photo will give all of you an indication of the space I have to work with. It's definitely not a big chamber to get good, quality sound in and the sound pressure capabilities [due to the low volume of space within the cab itself] are probably the best that could be had in any automobile, given the cab size.

'Naw mean?
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Fri May 21, 2010 6:43 pm

I don't know shit about auto sound. My wife has that same JBL in her Highlander that Kingman referred to (perhaps some more speakers 'cuz it's an SUV).
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

TNRabbit

Post Fri May 21, 2010 9:15 pm

Skip the cap, upgrade your alternator.

Definitely go with rear speakers also, but that will require another amp. However, if it comes down to $$$, skip the rears & go with a modest JL Audio sub.

You NEED to hear my truck system.
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

Post Fri May 21, 2010 10:17 pm

BillD wrote:I don't know shit about auto sound. My wife has that same JBL in her Highlander that Kingman referred to (perhaps some more speakers 'cuz it's an SUV).

I dunno about the Highlander...the ole reliable Camry has 10 dedicated speakers as well as I count tonight...and you know that's IFFY...however...can you improve in total sound over the good stock system without adding loudness into the equation???? Is accuracy a factor??? Can Tom achieve his goal??? I dunno.....comments?????
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri May 21, 2010 10:47 pm

When my daugther bought her car 1999 Nissan Altima (4-door) it had the stock stereo and I though :-k
So I started her toward the path of good audio. I could not really afford what I wanted to do so took the long road. I would purchase her something each Christmas for her auto. She now has the following stereo that has taken years up to last Christmas. Alpine tuner/CD, Alpine front component speakers, installed Sirius Sat radio (Alpine deck had this) with external antenna (with subscription of course), Rear Alpine component speakers, and last Christmas that made a "big improvement" is a Alpine Head amp that mounted behind the deck adding another 45 wpc and routed an i-pod cable into the glove box.
I must say, it's not a killer set-up with amps and subs in the trunk, but it sounds pretty dam good!!! and is very impressive.
She tells me her home stereo is "crap" and when she wants to listen to good music she sits in her car at the beach, haha.
:D
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat May 22, 2010 7:41 am

You're a good man Jag. What you did for your daughter, I am doing for my son and I'm having a ball doing so. I am actually building him a home system piece by piece. The first thing I got for him was a Carver M4.0t that was signed by Mr. Carver that also comes with a photo of Mr. Carver, Aiden [my son], Kim [my wife] and I as he is signing it for Aiden. I also have a little Radii 8 watt tube amp that will get him started into tubes when becomes of age. That's all I have so far but seeing as how he's not even 1 year old yet, I'm not in any hurry.

kingman wrote:Can Tom achieve his goal???
Even I don't think so.....but I'm about tired of having no tunes in the car. For the past 20 years, the radio has been off 90-95% of the time unless I want to listen to a traffic report or I'm just bored on a long trip.

TNRabbit wrote:Skip the cap, upgrade your alternator.
I had the chance to chat with James last night and he pretty much told me the same thing about the cap. I'm not gonna be in any competition or anything and I'm not gonna be running with 6 18" subs and 8 amps. It's just a modest system for listening pleasure.

I am interested in the alternator upgrade but I'm curious as to whether or not the alternator isn't already upgraded due to the fact that I have a HD Fleet truck that's already equipped for a trailer with electric brakes. I guess I'll have to find that out from a Chevy dealer..... :-k

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat May 22, 2010 8:15 am

When you have the time to look....please.....

Dave and James, let me know if you have another one of those smaller Carver car amps. I have attenuators that I can use to get my fade from front to rear. I had completely forgotten that I even had them. At least this way, they will be put to good use and I will have the rear speakers available for when and if I would want them.

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat May 22, 2010 11:22 am

OK, I bit the bullet and went ahead and ordered most of the concept system. The first post on this thread has been updated to reflect where it stands right now. The only things I'm missing right now would be a separate amp for the rear speakers, conversion kit to install the new head unit and whatever sub [if needed] I choose.

I'm hoping to snag a Carver amp from James/Dave for the rear speakers so that I can have both balance and fade like a normal car audio system. I have no clue whether or not I will have to utilize the attenuators or not but I'm ready if they are needed.

James pretty much talked me into getting some sort of sub to enhance the music. I will be holding off on getting any sub for right now until I hear what I've assembled thus far. Regardless, I will be pre-wiring the truck for a sub install when I get what has already been ordered installed. What subs would you folks recommend? I have a few recommendations so far and while I LOVE the sub that James linked me too, I need the middle seat for Aiden so that's a no-go.

Just remember, I do NOT want to shake everything within a 3 block radius. I want good, clean and pure bass that enhances the music, not drowns it out and shakes the truck to death. I'm open to an 8 or 10" sub but it has to be very compact due to the space limitations in the cab. That is my biggest concern for me with a sub, besides just plain bad sound.

What say you?

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat May 22, 2010 11:40 am

I'm open to an 8 or 10" sub

do you have room under your seat?

massage your ass as ya drive..... :D :D :D :D
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat May 22, 2010 11:46 am

Do they make such a sub application?

Ooooo, the wife would like that..... :D I do have limited room under the seat, but I do mean limited. There's probably about 6" of clearance behind the seats.

<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat May 22, 2010 2:16 pm

You are not going to have enough room to do anything other than what I told you... Don't bother trying.
Start looking around for the JL replacement center console.

Dave does not have any car amps, I will have Alex look at the shop next week to see if I have any more. (don't think so)
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮

Next

Return to Carver Car Audio