FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:59 pm

All known Carver repair shops list is right here....

<<

anatech

Post Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:02 am

Re: All known Carver repair shops list is right here....

Hi All,
Someone posted a concern about how shops are supposed to service Carver equipment without the original parts. I think that really deserves an answer as it seems to suggest that proper repairs are not possible otherwise. This would be incorrect.

Most parts used in Carver equipment are standard, off the shelf parts. Semiconductors and resistors are easy, most capacitors are normal stock items. That leaves some filter capacitors as difficult to find - and that's true. Forget finding exact replacements. Luckily, there are often filter capacitors that are close enough. Mag coils seldom fail, but were the most requested part by outside shops. So beware if you have an estimate that includes this transformer. The tech had better have a clear explaination for this. Ask here if in doubt.

There was a period in Canada when Carver parts didn't arrive like they used to. As a result, we became pretty good at sourcing these from the normal supply chain.

So, unless you need cosmetic parts, or you really need a transformer / mag coil or off filter capacitor, all the listed service depots are capable of making a perfect, factory acceptable repair. The only other questionable thing then might be workmanship, but anyone who was authorized warranty should be capable of doing excellent work. We had to close many Canadian service shops simply due to this. Most of those were dealer service - no surprise there.

One more point I'd like to make. Under warranty we were not allowed to "improve" the performance of any equipment. Even out of warranty, we had to return the equipment to factory configuration. There are very good reasons for this, and it has nothing to do with hiding anything or being "cheap". Now that I've been out of the warranty field for some time, the mindset can change slightly. Make no mistake that doing warranty work does create a mindset, or approach to making a repair. For something that's broken, I still recommend that it be brought back to working factory trim unless changes are minor and do not affect the operation. Only then can you consider making "improvements". I do redesign certain aspects of audio equipment now, but understand that I have created a service bench that includes extremely good equipment (mostly HP / Agilent) and I also use a spectrum analyzer as well. If you are changing anything, you must test the equipment with the changes into various loads and conditions, and also get a clear picture of it's response. Distortion analyzers (I use an HP 339A), good 'scopes and other equipment is the only way to assess the unit is working properly again. This is not only true of CD players and tuners, but also of power amplifiers. So make sure that anyone "tweaking" your equipment has the ability to really check the effects of their changes.

I only mention this because the amount of "hacked" equipment I see coming in is still on the rise. This only increases the cost of repair, and being honest about what was done will save you money. Don't pay someone to discover what you can tell them. Seems like common sense, but many people are embarrassed and want to hide bad decisions. The goal is to fix your equipment reliably, so please disclose anything you know, even if you are the one making changes.

-Chris
You did what???!
<<

palmfish

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Reviving this thread a little...

For what it's worth, I sent an e-mail to Rolland (Hi-Tech Oregon), Rita (Rita's Washington), and Zak (AVL Washington) last week inquiring about service for my Carver Receiver. Rolland called me that evening and was very nice and helpful. Rita and Zak never replied.

Rita's is only about 20 minutes from my office, and Zak is literally just up the street. Even though Rolland is 3 hours away, I think I'll give him my business.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Rolland called me that evening and was very nice and helpful.
Rolland is a true professional...I've never dealt with him but he has answered all my emails within a day.
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

armophob

Newbie 50+

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:58 pm

palmfish wrote:Reviving this thread a little...

For what it's worth, I sent an e-mail to Rolland (Hi-Tech Oregon), Rita (Rita's Washington), and Zak (AVL Washington) last week inquiring about service for my Carver Receiver. Rolland called me that evening and was very nice and helpful. Rita and Zak never replied.

Rita's is only about 20 minutes from my office, and Zak is literally just up the street. Even though Rolland is 3 hours away, I think I'll give him my business.

I am sending my amp to Rita. FYI I am pasting my response from her shop. This may be why you have not gotten an email reponse.

"Thank you for contacting Rita's Vintage Audio. We are owned by Bob Carver and do out of warranty service on Carver and Sunfire products. Our Sunfire tech, Bill is on vacation until January 11th, 2011."
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:23 pm

I stop in and talk with Rita atleast twice a week and I can tell you that she prefers to spend her time at the bench working on equipment as they are always busy. She returns equipment back to factory spec and will completely refurbish amplifiers if requested. I've talked with her about modifications and what not, among other things and her philosiphy is to return it to factory spec, the way it was designed to opertate, only changing things that have had factory updates. I've personally had her service numerous items now and she is very thorough in her inspections and repairs.

I can't say anything good or bad about Rolland.

I've had work done at AVL and I would not recommend them, period. A few years ago I had them repair an old Yamaha M-85 for me at their old location and they had a few techs working at that time and they did a great job. Fast foward to about a year ago now and they changed locations. After hunting them down, they seemed eager to help but only had one tech and he only came in a couple days a week. They told me that they were getting away from repair work as there was no money in it and wanted to focus on the rest of their business, renting out equipment. I think they might of merged with another company if I remember correctly. I spoke with their tech and he sounded like more of a hobbiest and only did repairs in his spare time as a second job.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch KP 250 II (2 Pairs)
Klipsch RSW 15
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:05 am

jjptkd wrote: I can't say anything good or bad about Rolland.

Rolland has helped me via email on two different things - FAST! He goes beyond any repair needed and does it for cheap so I only can say if you need a Carver 1.5t he is the best in that Dept and some other Carver gear now Rita and Sunfire Does awesome and I have used them too it depends on your needs! Kudos to Rolland =D> Good Guy - trusty service - Best price and work *5* *5*
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

palmfish

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:20 am

Well, I'm pleased to hear the positive comments about Rita. I'm in no hurry so maybe I'll drive out and visit in person next week. I also appreciate the remarks about AVL - duly noted, thanks.

I do want to give Rita a chance because it's obviously easier for me to drive to Snohomish than to travel to Gresham, OR. I don't have a 1.5t (wish I did), it's just a MXR-130 Receiver that I bought new in 1985 and would like restored to spec. Rolland quoted me $300, which seems like a lot to fix a component that isn't broken - just not performing at peak.

Based on all my research so far, I'm sure either shop will do an outstanding job.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:49 am

hello. i wanted to give my two cents. i have a tfm55 that i messed up. at the time, over almost two years ago, i talked with both rolland and rita's. at the time, rita was almost half the money to repair the amp, but when i asked if they go through it and refurb it, i was told no, they would fix any problems found, bring it back to spec and that was it. so, i talked to rolland about his service. he told me for the 300, he would recap it, repair it and bring it back to life. well, i sat on my hands for a year, and then when i was ready to get it done, rita's prices had gone up. almost double. well, i forget exactly whom i spoke with again,(without going through the emails), but i was not as confident that rita's would go the extra mile with the refurb like rolland would. when i spoke to rolland, he gave me a few upgrade options that could be done as well (extra funds required). well, i really liked the professionalism that i got from rolland as he called me, discussed what he would do, and he could do not once, but twice even on a weekend as i emailed him saturday late night and he returned the call on sunday. so a year goes by and i sent the amp to him at a cost of almost $390 with shipping both ways. after i got the amp back, which came in just two or three weeks after sending it off, he not only repaired the fubar that i did, recapped it all, he even refinished the outer cover which had been scratched up badly to the metal. the cover alone probably took him a few hours in it self. well i open it up as rolland said i should to check out his handy work. oh, by the way, when the amp was new, i had some issue that needed to be corrected at a authorized service center under warranty which was according to rolland a hack job. again, he fixed that as well. since then, after meeting robert r and then bob himself at carverfest, i took a leap of faith and refurbished my other amps myself. even though i did the work my self, when i called rolland for some advice, he freely gave it to me and told me that i could at anytime send it in and he would straighten any problems i had out. this is not a bash in any way, shape or form to rita's as they see the bobfather all the time and he employed them at one point or another in his carver and sunfire company's. i am just saying that i can't imagine doing business with anybody other than those two repair centers. i personaly just think that rolland will/would go the extra mile based on my personal experience with him. he really prides himself in his work and it showed. one thing that rita's will do though from my understanding is if the repair only takes a small amount of time, she will pro-rate it and being just a short distance away, i would also put them on the top of the list. just make sure you know exactly what service they will perfom before you spend your hard earned dollars. i can tell you that rolland will do it all and then some. cheers angelo.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

wrstps

M-400t CUBE

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:00 pm

I had Rolland go through a PM 1.5 and not only did he fix it he called me and wanted to know If I wanted to sweeten it up for and additional 35.00 so I said sure. And let me tell you it is great!!!! The guys work is great and this amp is working perfect.
Ray
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:08 pm

It seems like there's always confusion about Rita's services that are offered. $120 for basic repairs, bench testing and calibrating for up to 3 hrs of work and she is very thorough and knows the equipment inside and out like the back of her hand. $270 for a complete refurbishing which includes the replacement of all wearable parts. I have never heard of her refusing to refurbish an amplifier, but honestly, it's not always needed. I copied the rates from the web page. The flat rate fee is for refurbishing.

Rates: Due to recent cost increases, we have been forced to to raise our rates.
These new rates will take effect on 5/17/2010

$370.00 Flat Fee Rate for all Sunfire equipment (except for subwoofers)
$270.00 Flat Fee Rate for all Carver and Phase Linear equipment

$270.00 Flat Fee for Subwoofer Amplifier repairs.

$120.00 Bench Fee includes testing calibration and solder touch up.
Technical Support time over 3 hours, is $120.00 (same as our bench fee.)

$30.00 Boxes & Packing
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 225x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch KP 250 II (2 Pairs)
Klipsch RSW 15
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:28 pm

$120.00 Bench Fee includes testing calibration and solder touch up.
Technical Support time over 3 hours, is $120.00 (same as our bench fee.)

This is confusing. To me it looks like testing and calibration but not repair.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:13 pm

yeah, i was more confident that rolland was the guy for the job. maybe they changed their policy from the first time i spoke with them about two years ago on refurbs at rita's. regarless, they will both do a great job, i only have first hand knowledge of rolland though. cheers.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

armophob

Newbie 50+

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:07 pm

Fyi for anyone sending a Sunfire Amp to Rita. I am not complaining, just preparing you for the cost. The repair and reship was $433.91. With my shipping to them, that was just under a $500 for the repair. So be careful with your amps folks.
<<

palmfish

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:30 pm

palmfish wrote:Well, I'm pleased to hear the positive comments about Rita. I'm in no hurry so maybe I'll drive out and visit in person next week. I also appreciate the remarks about AVL - duly noted, thanks.

I do want to give Rita a chance because it's obviously easier for me to drive to Snohomish than to travel to Gresham, OR. I don't have a 1.5t (wish I did), it's just a MXR-130 Receiver that I bought new in 1985 and would like restored to spec. Rolland quoted me $300, which seems like a lot to fix a component that isn't broken - just not performing at peak.

Based on all my research so far, I'm sure either shop will do an outstanding job.

I thought I'd follow up here with my recent experience for anyone who's interested.

Based on my telephone conversations with Rolland, I decided to have him repair my Carver Receiver. I was passing through Gresham, OR around the beginning of the month (Feb), and he was more than happy to have me come by his place and drop it off in person. When I arrived, he offered a quick turnaround, but I told him I wasn't in a hurry and would pick it up the next time I was passing through. While I was there, I remarked on an pair of JBL monitors he had on his workbench that are similar to a pair I used to have, and he invited me to listen to his "real" JBL speakers. We went to the other room and listened to some jazz on his personal system which was highlighted by a stack of Harman Kardon separates and a pair of big old JBL speakers he had modified with horns - the smoothest sounding horn speakers I've ever heard, by the way.

I picked up my Receiver last week and listened to it on and off over the weekend and couldn't be more pleased. Rolland is attentive, thoughtful, and knows his stuff. I recommend him to anyone needing audio equipment repaired.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:47 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
PreviousNext

Return to CARVER Equipment Repair/Help Forum