FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:00 pm

SIDE BY SIDE TEST WITH BOB'S STUFF AND ALL ON THE MARKET

<<

ranster

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:10 am

SIDE BY SIDE TEST WITH BOB'S STUFF AND ALL ON THE MARKET

the man MR. Carver is a genuis. he has allowed lower pay structured fellows to be able to enjoy some of the best if not the best auio gear that is offered. like a carver A760x running a set of tympani 1B's requiring 350 continuous watts set next to a set of bryston 7B's with one bryston respectively at 549 watts and the other 543 and i couldn't tell you which was on which, side by side. and by the way the A760x and the brystons had been to their respective repair facilities, the carver went to Rita right over 1 year ago and the brystons may 27th 2010 and the brystons went to mike up in canade and both were a clear bill and in that side by side i could not tell the difference. so the A760 i was attempting to sell earlier is no longer for sale. sorry all. anyone else have a great story like this to share? we would love to heare them i'm sure they are out there
1,A-760x, 2, Sonics Asscts. from the IMAX theater 800x's these are the bryston 7B's but kicked up .i have added two bryston 7B's and a tfm-25 running through a Sunfire TGP I: and a Krell KAV 500i. 2, magnapan tympani 1 b's main-- 2 Polk rt 11t's secondary mains--2 Polk RT1000p's for centers and sub and one audiophile 10 cube subwoofer 2 Polk rti 150's running from the sevin axis connector just for more meat in the middle and 2 polk audio rt55i with changed crossovers from the polk audio RT3000p
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:07 am

Re: SIDE BY SIDE TEST WITH BOB'S STUFF AND ALL ON THE MARKET

I found the Bryston 7B's to be sterile and edgy. Now, I've never heard the A760x, but judging from what you said, I don't want to. Sorry, nothing personal.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

ranster

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:51 am

well i have had the bryston hooked up several ways never with tube pre-amps i dont think it is a good match back when they made the 7b's the cost of real down home tube amps with quality were pricy and if i may say hard to find that would match impedance wise to brystons.
secondly of you have never heard a set of magnepan tympani 1 b's not the d's everyone is raving about but the they had the tympani 1 and then the tympani 1 b unless you have really heard them with your own ears you are missing one of the great performances of your life. you see back in 1972 or so when the first maggies came out they were reviewed into the ground and no one even cared to review them again intil the d series. well for about 1800.00 back in 1974 several people bought these with small houses and sould not reach their full bass potential which is rated down to roung 38Hz i happen to live in a 26 x32 x13 foot ceiling rpoom and can get them out of the way of the back and side walls.
okay now back to the brystons hooked up to my polk audio speakers they sound very reproductive but a little edgy until you pull down the eq around 2k a couple of notches. i dont have to do this with the ({edited)}Maggies and brystons as they sound so near perfect you can tell the difference in the small cymballs and you can hear the strings on the acoustic guitar before the pickup sends the sounds no edginess there. so believe me when i am giving the a760x ( the{{peer edited out}} poor mans lightstar and the proceeds just before sunfire i have heard no one complain about any of those big brothers that saw it into fruition. i would try and get some cables with some silver and monster cable copper for the speakers to about 12 -8 gage i run 12 and the innerconnects the same but at 18AWG works if you have nothing but silver they can be uncompatable with some say like brystons but make yourself some and try the 7b's like that and you may never go back to bryston/carver bashing because they are reported to sound similar in sonics and power. just some food for thought i don't want you scaring any one away from the meaty A760. i think the only thing made solid state around the a760 that was meatier and sounded better was the lightstar and the TFM-75. other than that i believe it was the big boy on the block. thanks for your time and i don't take it personal besides as i get older my hearing changes as we all do., again nothing personal. but do give them another shot with silver /copper cables it is really a great fit
Last edited by ranster on Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
1,A-760x, 2, Sonics Asscts. from the IMAX theater 800x's these are the bryston 7B's but kicked up .i have added two bryston 7B's and a tfm-25 running through a Sunfire TGP I: and a Krell KAV 500i. 2, magnapan tympani 1 b's main-- 2 Polk rt 11t's secondary mains--2 Polk RT1000p's for centers and sub and one audiophile 10 cube subwoofer 2 Polk rti 150's running from the sevin axis connector just for more meat in the middle and 2 polk audio rt55i with changed crossovers from the polk audio RT3000p
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:11 am

Different strokes for different folks. :-"

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

ranster

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:12 am

hey when you auditioned the bryston did you hook them up to tubes??
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:22 am

No, but I'll be damned if I remember what pre amp it was. I also listened to them at a dealer, thought the same thing.

<<

ranster

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:50 am

well there are alot of people who hold the same opinion as you. you know i have mixed and matched equipment since the early eighties and some stuff that sounds like two cats puking moved it with something else and youd think you had spent a fortune. you know i had everything hooked up and wound up getting a great deal on a krell KAV500i. i hooked it in and my wife came in from the back of the room saying that is the best this has ever sounded. i had the sunfire tgpI running everything and just ran the krell off the external processor. well we thought we had the GIFT to music so i ran everything into the krell and the sunfire from an out on the krell. in theory should be the symphony in live. ooooh noooo sounded like T-total crap so i switched everything back processing through the sunfire and wa-la back to beauty. since that day i have tried flipping flopping switching and swapping and everytime i have to go back to the original way it was hooked up. so if anyone understand please let me in on it because it baffles me to no end.
<<

ranster

Post Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:55 am

oh an also the a760x is very warm and musical without having to crunch the wires or the EQ. if you get the chance i would audition them they will suprise you. although for some reason when i had to i ran them in bridged configuration and they seemed to go really bland. i sold one and was going to sell the other and when i was assuring it was working great before shipping i noticed it sounded like it had back several years ago when i first got it. so there is something about bridging them.

Return to Bob Carver, the Myth, the Legend