FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:44 am

Bob Carver Biography

<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:31 pm

Re: Bob Carver Biography

That was great! The book will kick ass!!!
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:13 pm

cool story,
but what about the amp?
do you still have it?
I have to go on a dicks run soon.....
those things are good.... :) :) :)
wish there was one on the eastside..... :?
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 pm

James, maybe we could do another "session" with Bob this year that could bring up interesting topics and we could let Bob personally address some of them. Just a thought.

Dave....first off, welcome to the forum. Thank you for a wonderful post. It is much appreciated.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:15 am

mbskeam wrote:I have to go on a dicks run soon.....
those things are good.... :) :) :)
wish there was one on the eastside..... :?

:-s :-s :-s

You are a sick, sick man~ :lol:
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:25 am

Dave, thank you for your most excellent memories!

I look forward to more~

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:26 am

Bob and I also have a chuckle of those expensive cables, what a rip off they are. As I have mentioned in forums, I sarcastically say that the "best" cables are those with the coolest sounding names, usually Grecian, and with the highest price

Pffft :rolleyes:
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:18 am

Very nice read Dave. Thanks for posting. :D
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:15 am

treitz3 wrote:James, maybe we could do another "session" with Bob this year that could bring up interesting topics and we could let Bob personally address some of them. Just a thought.

Dave....first off, welcome to the forum. Thank you for a wonderful post. It is much appreciated.

I think that would be a good idea !! Everyone seemed to enjoy is last time.
I'll be bringing my video camera again, so we can do it the same as last time. And now that I already have the software on my computer, and know how to use it, it won't take long to get it uploaded this time around.

I guess we should revive a "Questions for Bob" thread for this year.
QUESTIONS TO ASK BOB
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:39 am

I call DIBS on the movie rights... already have Burt Reynolds on board to play Bob, and Shakira to play the love interest as she agreed to do the nude scenes \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ :D :lol: :lol:
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

DaveLadely

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:07 pm

Toy Maker wrote:I have talked to Bob about possibly doing a biography on him, and am looking for topics and structure to add.
If you have any ideas of what would make an intersting read, post your ideas here, and we'll go through them, and see if we can use them.

A bio would be interesting, probably mostly because of the splash the first Phase Linear amplifier made in the audio world, being so much more powerful than the competition and yet not elitist and being reasonably price, with a very low dollar/watt cost. He is very focused when he has a goal. When he built what wound up becoming the prototype of what became the first superamp, the Phase Linear 700, he set aside his University TV repair business for two weeks, so that he could built it without distraction. He built it on the dining room table, set in the living room of the house. I have read some journalist claim this first "monster" amp was built in a "coffee can", literally. Not true. That term is used by some to describe the open chassis used to build experimental circuit. This was not done with the first super amp. The first "monster" amp was built on three separate chassis, anodized gold. The performance encouraged Bob to start Phase Linear Co. to produce the superamp commercially. At that time, the most powerful amps available commercially were the McIntosh 275 and Marantz dual Mono Model 9s, at 75 watts each. The Phase Linear 700 was conservatively rated at a minimum of 700 watts. For about the same price as the lesser powered amps.
Then Bob came up with innovations, such as sonic holography, and the "cube". Bob's innovations definitely stirred up the audio field. And his lack of elitism extends to his modesty. I doubt Bob thinks his life
is all that interesting. He eschews self importance, has humility; he is mainly interested in extending the parameters of audio while making his products affordable to audiophiles. Bob is big enough to give credit to others for their contributions, as he has done for me, a rare and admirable character trait. Unlike most in his position, ego, whatever the financial status, is far from a priority.
As I once said to him long ago, "Jesus Christ and Albert Einstein were both humble people, so anyone who thinks they are big shots must think they are above either, and so are demonstrating their arrogance and ignorance to all." And Bob seconded that then and I think he would now.
I think a bio would provide some illumination to those involved with audio
Dave Ladely in Snohomish
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:43 pm

But, there certainly was a coffee can amp.
Coffee Can Amp.jpg
Coffee Can Amp.jpg (84.27 KiB) Viewed 749 times
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:52 pm

Well Dave, Bob is as modest as ever.

At the first fest he attended a member, Marc (Radioengineer) had produced some really beautiful CD's that he gave to everyone.

Bob & I were sitting on a couch when he asked "Do you think he (Marc) will give me another if he has any extra?"

I said "You don't get your status here do you?"

Bob replied "What do you mean 'my status'. "

I answered "You are somewhere between Elvis & Jesus here and any of us will give you pretty much anything you ask for".

He was blown away by that but I believe it is true.

He's also alot of fun too.

How many, many people are able to appreciate (and afford) first rate gear because of Bob's work?

I equate him with Henry Ford & the Car. He took it from a rich man's toy & made it available/affordable for the rest of us.

Frank.
<<

kingman

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:55 pm

frankieD wrote:Well Dave, Bob is as modest as ever.

At the first fest he attended a member, Marc (Radioengineer) had produced some really beautiful CD's that he gave to everyone.

Bob & I were sitting on a couch when he asked "Do you think he (Marc) will give me another if he has any extra?"

I said "You don't get your status here do you?"

Bob replied "What do you mean 'my status'. "

I answered "You are somewhere between Elvis & Jesus here and any of us will give you pretty much anything you ask for".

He was blown away by that but I believe it is true.

He's also alot of fun too.

How many, many people are able to appreciate (and afford) first rate gear because of Bob's work?

I equate him with Henry Ford & the Car. He took it from a rich man's toy & made it available/affordable for the rest of us.

Frank.

Couldn't a said it better Frankie!!! =D> =D> =D> Bob is anything but "aloof"!
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

stereo_buff

TFM-55

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:17 pm

BillD wrote:But, there certainly was a coffee can amp.
Coffee Can Amp.jpg

I thought the 'amp in a coffee can' was the forerunner of the Carver "cube," not the Phase Linear 700.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:06 am

stereo_buff wrote: I thought the 'amp in a coffee can' was the forerunner of the Carver "cube," not the Phase Linear 700.

That was my understanding as well.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
PreviousNext

Return to Bob Carver, the Myth, the Legend