FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 am

Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

<<

Toy Maker

User avatar

Puppet Master

Posts: 6385

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:26 am

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:14 am

Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

We will be planning another video interview with Bob this year.
Please don't ask the same questions that were asked at CarverFest 08"
New and interesting questions.

Please post questions you would like to see answered by Bob this year.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13260

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

Toy Maker wrote:We will be planning another video interview with Bob this year.
Please don't ask the same questions that were asked at CarverFest 08"
New and interesting questions.

Please post questions you would like to see answered by Bob this year.


Watch all 16 parts:

TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

treitz3

User avatar

"Julian"
"Julian"

Posts: 7746

Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Location: The tube lair in Charlotte, NC

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

Gary, what in the hell kind of post is that? #-o

James, this comes AFTER a cable swap on my rig. He tends to laugh at expensive cables and what they can do to your rig. His ex-roomate has also confirmed this from way back in the day. I have purposely kept one particular IC in my stash that was expensive and does not do my rig justice whatsoever. I would like to A/B/C that cable with another expensive cable and another that is an $8.00 piece of crap from Sam's Club.

My question would be, "A few year's back, you told us about your belief in cables. We all know [it's no secret] that you laugh at the theory of folks paying a ridiculous amount of money for an interconnect or connection. Now that you have had a recent, first hand knowledge of cheap -vs- two different expensive cables, are your thoughts the same?"
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Posts: 1702

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

I would like to know more about the thought process of the "Silver Series" tube gear and if his intent was to take Carver away from the Big-Box path favored by the Carver BoD and into a company more like Mcintosh. It would also be interesting to find out what direction he would have liked to see Carver take had he remained in control.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

Toy Maker

User avatar

Puppet Master

Posts: 6385

Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:26 am

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

nooshinjohn wrote:I would like to know more about the thought process of the "Silver Series" tube gear and if his intent was to take Carver away from the Big-Box path favored by the Carver BoD and into a company more like Mcintosh. It would also be interesting to find out what direction he would have liked to see Carver take had he remained in control.


I know the answer to the 1st half of that question.....
But I'll let the man answer it himself :D
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it 'cause nobody else will

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 2611

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Location: manning, sc

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:37 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

treitz3 wrote:Gary, what in the hell kind of post is that? #-o

James, this comes AFTER a cable swap on my rig. He tends to laugh at expensive cables and what they can do to your rig. His ex-roomate has also confirmed this from way back in the day. I have purposely kept one particular IC in my stash that was expensive and does not do my rig justice whatsoever. I would like to A/B/C that cable with another expensive cable and another that is an $8.00 piece of crap from Sam's Club.

My question would be, "A few year's back, you told us about your belief in cables. We all know [it's no secret] that you laugh at the theory of folks paying a ridiculous amount of money for an interconnect or connection. Now that you have had a recent, first hand knowledge of cheap -vs- two different expensive cables, are your thoughts the same?"



hello. many,many years ago a guy named richard clark and his partner david navone did these tech briefs named "autosound 2000 techbriefs". their mission was to give some insight to the science of car audio and to clarify the snake oil that company's may throw at us. better sound through a comprehensive understanding of how the numbers work when it came to the installation of audio and how the theory was worked out into reality. anyway, they did infact do an article on cables. for the most part, a set of radio shack interconnects for a few dollars out performed the really high dollar stuff. and like it was said above, some of the high dollar stuff made the system sound worse if it made any difference at all. they only exception at the time was some $400 monstercable 3" rca cords. i forget the model at the moment. i will go and see if i can't dig these issue's up in my shed as they are somewere and not thrown out. so, with that said, i look for some good ofc cable and make my own for the most part, and will not spend more that $30 a set. if you look at my stereo thread, i have some rockford fosgate "white wolf" twisted cables between the preamp and amps, and some rca/toslink/svideo cables for the components that cost like $8 or so dollars from cablewholesalers.com i would love to hear the magic set of interconnects that will change my world, but the fact still applies that it is only as good as it's weakest link. so, no need for high dollar cables for me as most of the stuff that i have is 140-300 per piece other than the laserdisc, amps and ribbons. the last high dollar piece that i bought was a toshiba dvd player for $800 back around 2000. the yamaha that i have today does a better job as the picture rolls sideways across the top and it skips/won't track from time to time. it has been that way almost from the day i bought it new. 800 vs 140. no brainer for me.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

mbskeam

User avatar

SILVER-7t

Posts: 1830

Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 am

Location: Woodinville Wa

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

my ? is....

what happened to the carver R&D/engineering files to the different PC of gear...
IE: speakers, tfm series amps etc.... when carver went away, did Bob keep any of these?
Mbskeam


#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Posts: 1702

Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Post Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

angelod307 wrote:
treitz3 wrote:Gary, what in the hell kind of post is that? #-o

James, this comes AFTER a cable swap on my rig. He tends to laugh at expensive cables and what they can do to your rig. His ex-roomate has also confirmed this from way back in the day. I have purposely kept one particular IC in my stash that was expensive and does not do my rig justice whatsoever. I would like to A/B/C that cable with another expensive cable and another that is an $8.00 piece of crap from Sam's Club.

My question would be, "A few year's back, you told us about your belief in cables. We all know [it's no secret] that you laugh at the theory of folks paying a ridiculous amount of money for an interconnect or connection. Now that you have had a recent, first hand knowledge of cheap -vs- two different expensive cables, are your thoughts the same?"



hello. many,many years ago a guy named richard clark and his partner david navone did these tech briefs named "autosound 2000 techbriefs". their mission was to give some insight to the science of car audio and to clarify the snake oil that company's may throw at us. better sound through a comprehensive understanding of how the numbers work when it came to the installation of audio and how the theory was worked out into reality. anyway, they did infact do an article on cables. for the most part, a set of radio shack interconnects for a few dollars out performed the really high dollar stuff. and like it was said above, some of the high dollar stuff made the system sound worse if it made any difference at all. they only exception at the time was some $400 monstercable 3" rca cords. i forget the model at the moment. i will go and see if i can't dig these issue's up in my shed as they are somewere and not thrown out. so, with that said, i look for some good ofc cable and make my own for the most part, and will not spend more that $30 a set. if you look at my stereo thread, i have some rockford fosgate "white wolf" twisted cables between the preamp and amps, and some rca/toslink/svideo cables for the components that cost like $8 or so dollars from cablewholesalers.com i would love to hear the magic set of interconnects that will change my world, but the fact still applies that it is only as good as it's weakest link. so, no need for high dollar cables for me as most of the stuff that i have is 140-300 per piece other than the laserdisc, amps and ribbons. the last high dollar piece that i bought was a toshiba dvd player for $800 back around 2000. the yamaha that i have today does a better job as the picture rolls sideways across the top and it skips/won't track from time to time. it has been that way almost from the day i bought it new. 800 vs 140. no brainer for me.



My general rule is that if I spend 2000 bucks on an amp, 200 dollars in interconnects is a worthwhile investment. Ten percent of the cost of my gear is the budget for cables, wires and power cords.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!Sunfire Signature TGA 7401, Pioneer SC-37 Surround Receiver, Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube Preamp with Phono Stage, Magnepan MG-20's(main) Polk Audio RM 7500's(surround) Polk Audio CSi-a6 (center) Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, Pioneer Elite PD-DJ9 SACD/CD Player, Sony BDPs-350 BLUray player, LG 42lg50 1080p HDTV, Klipsch Synergy SUB-10 powered subwoofer.[/size]
<<

F1nut

User avatar

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 4533

Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2003 3:31 am

Location: The Mars Hotel

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:36 am

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

angelod307 wrote: hello. many,many years ago a guy named richard clark and his partner david navone did these tech briefs named "autosound 2000 techbriefs". their mission was to give some insight to the science of car audio and to clarify the snake oil that company's may throw at us. better sound through a comprehensive understanding of how the numbers work when it came to the installation of audio and how the theory was worked out into reality. anyway, they did infact do an article on cables. for the most part, a set of radio shack interconnects for a few dollars out performed the really high dollar stuff. and like it was said above, some of the high dollar stuff made the system sound worse if it made any difference at all. they only exception at the time was some $400 monstercable 3" rca cords. i forget the model at the moment. i will go and see if i can't dig these issue's up in my shed as they are somewere and not thrown out. so, with that said, i look for some good ofc cable and make my own for the most part, and will not spend more that $30 a set. if you look at my stereo thread, i have some rockford fosgate "white wolf" twisted cables between the preamp and amps, and some rca/toslink/svideo cables for the components that cost like $8 or so dollars from cablewholesalers.com i would love to hear the magic set of interconnects that will change my world, but the fact still applies that it is only as good as it's weakest link. so, no need for high dollar cables for me as most of the stuff that i have is 140-300 per piece other than the laserdisc, amps and ribbons. the last high dollar piece that i bought was a toshiba dvd player for $800 back around 2000. the yamaha that i have today does a better job as the picture rolls sideways across the top and it skips/won't track from time to time. it has been that way almost from the day i bought it new. 800 vs 140. no brainer for me.


Help me to understand the point of your post.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.



In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

TNRabbit

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 13260

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am

Location: TN Native Languishing in VA

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:32 am

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

treitz3 wrote:Gary, what in the hell kind of post is that? #-o

James, this comes AFTER a cable swap on my rig. He tends to laugh at expensive cables and what they can do to your rig. His ex-roomate has also confirmed this from way back in the day. I have purposely kept one particular IC in my stash that was expensive and does not do my rig justice whatsoever. I would like to A/B/C that cable with another expensive cable and another that is an $8.00 piece of crap from Sam's Club.

My question would be, "A few year's back, you told us about your belief in cables. We all know [it's no secret] that you laugh at the theory of folks paying a ridiculous amount of money for an interconnect or connection. Now that you have had a recent, first hand knowledge of cheap -vs- two different expensive cables, are your thoughts the same?"


I'm not sure what you're question is about, Tom.... :-s

All I intended to state is that everyone who HASN'T done so already to watch the videos & questions before posting duplicate questions.
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5532

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:51 am

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

This thread is already going in 3 directions with only 2 questions asked!!!! :-({|= :-({|= :-({|=
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

treitz3

User avatar

"Julian"
"Julian"

Posts: 7746

Joined: Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:39 pm

Location: The tube lair in Charlotte, NC

Post Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

TNRabbit wrote:I'm not sure what you're question is about, Tom.... :-s
Eh, I apologize. I must have scrolled down too fast or something. I can't really explain it, but from my end, it looked like you had posted the same exact post James made. When I look at it now, it all makes sense. My bad.

Don't let it happen again.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Robert R

User avatar

TFM-35

Posts: 454

Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:05 pm

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:53 am

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

Questions/Topics for Bob

1. Discuss near-field listening – pros and cons - problems and solutions. Refer specifically to the Sunfire CRM-2 ribbons.

2. What (if anything) has been done lately in the area of signal processing to make headphone listening duplicate the sound field of speaker listening? It seems that the two ears could be made to perceive anything required, given the right spatial cues.

RobertR
"You know what folks? I'm happy."
<<

kingman

User avatar

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Posts: 5532

Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:10 pm

Location: Upstate South Carolina

Post Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:29 pm

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

What the hell are you going to sell next???? What are your plans for liquidating your stash of high end audio equipment. Is there a reason for this? Will you make this available to forum members first, or ebay all of it to the highest bidder? Inquiring minds want to know!!!! :-s :-s :-s :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Posts: 2611

Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 pm

Location: manning, sc

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:21 am

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

Help me to understand the point of your post.


i would not buy cables for a few hundred just because i bought a high end piece for a few thousand. most people just feel, and yes i say feel better spending more as opposed to less for cabling with the though that it cost more, so it must be better. as far as a question for bob, well, he anwsered this one in the video. and he happened to say what i just said in a much more pc way.

the other part is about spending a crap load of funds on new equipment that like laser disc and dvd. my first players cost over $800 and the stuff you can buy today is better and far,far cheaper. the really good stuff i have seen out there keeps it's value and many years later will still get top dollar in resale situations. i simply do not have the need to be the first in line for new stuff anymore. i can wait for the prices to come down after a few generations of product.

now, my question to bob is what is the primary differences between the lightstar amps that he made towards the end of the carver era, and the sunfire amps that followed in his new company. was he able to keep the designs or did he have to redesign the sunfire as not to infringe on the carver patents/designs.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 2010

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Powered by phpBB © 2011 phpBB Group.