my carver system that started in 1992

<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:49 am

Re: my carver system that started in 1992

Here is a intriguing sub:
CraigSUB CS-18.2 Subwoofer System

1. The CS-18.2 will have a response curve of +/- 3 dB from 23 to 200 Hz. The response curve is deliberately going to roll off at 12 dB per octave below 23 Hz to match the room gain of the intended room for a subwoofer in its size and price category.

2. The CS-18.2 will be 40"H x 20"W x 20"D.

3. The CS-18.2 will have opposing baffle drivers, making for an elegant look for one's room. The Baffle facing the room will be a flat panel of finished wood.

4. The CS-18.2 will have an amp Dayton SA1000:
Specifications: • Rated Power Output (0.92% THD): 497 watts into 8 ohms, 950 watts into 4 ohms • Signal to Noise Ratio: 98 dB A-weighted • Efficiency: 86% • Input Impedance: 12K ohms • Subsonic Filter: -3 dB @ 18 Hz, Q=0.8 • Bass Boost: +3 dB @ 25 Hz, Q=1.4 • High Pass Output: -3 dB @ 80 Hz, 12 dB/octave • Low Pass Adjustment: 30-200 Hz • Phase Adjustment: 0°–180° • Parametric EQ Frequency: 18–80 Hz • Bandwidth: 0.1–1.0 Q • Level: -14.5 dB to +6 dB • Dimensions: 17-1/2" W x 4" H x 13" D (tabletop configuration) • Power Requirements: 120/230 VAC, 50/60 Hz • Stand-by Power Rating: 120V 24W; 230V 18.4W • Weight: 20 lbs. *Based on one-third power duty cycle

5. The CS-18.2 will deliver the following SPL at 2 meters Groundplane:

15 Hz .........................101 dB
20 Hz .........................106 dB
31.5 Hz ......................114 dB
50 Hz .........................121 dB
20-63 Hz avg ..............117 dB
20-31.5 Hz average .....110 dB
40-63 Hz average ........121 dB

6. MSRP is $1275 (or $2420/pair) plus actual shipping cost.
http://www.tweakcityaudio.com/forum/sho ... php?t=2273

Not affiliated.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:38 pm

hey, thanks. i looked through the site and it looks like they are on to something. i might see if they offer the woofers alone as the amp would be remote in the rack. what works wonders is when the woofers are directly behind you, they need to introduce a couch sub and the night time delight called a pillow pounder. picture this, if you make an enclosure that is right behind your head at the top or front of the matress like a headboard, you would be amazed at just how low the 6 1/2" drivers will play as the cabinet is behind/below or under the pillow. that was another nifty thing a freind and i built in the late eighties. it sounds like 15's in your head, and i'm talking about maybe 1/2 of a watt running it. the parents don't hear a thing yet you are rocking pretty hard with tons of deep bass and a couple of silk domes for the high end. it was very cool. and imaging was extreme. much, much cooler than a set of head phones. ahead of it's time.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:48 am

ok boys and girls. tommorow i am gonna drive out 3 hours one way to scoop up another set of al-III's and maybe another tfm35.
on another note, i hooked up a tfm35 tonight to the speakers directly with a cd player going straight into the amp. low power levels sounded ok, but when i cranked it up, the speakers had some crackling in them like the ribbons were bad. so at that point i swapped back to the 55 and turned it up at higher volumes without any issues. normally i use this 35 for a center. at the moment, i have this 35 on the center and the subs, but have not noticed any problems in that configuration. i just do not recall if this is the 35 that i bought originally, or the 35 that i got off ebay to replace the 15cb last year. i am so skeptical about buying from ebay. i got a tfm55 last year from fleabay and it had a simular issue. at high volumes, the speaker would make some funny popping noises. the seller gave me a hard time when it came time for me to return it. got to love the chase credit card though, they refunded the money after i sent it back to the seller. paypal bites ass. they will not do shit for you unless you do not recieve the item which is just about the only way they will refund a purchase. ok, i should really try to go to bed now. later. 20 something days to the fest....
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:57 pm

and then there are six. the ribbons are in poor shape, 3/10. the crossovers are toast, the oak panels are chiped,marked and dinged. the foam needs replacing, but that is a very minor detail. the front of the ribbon metal shells are not painted, although the replacements that i got way back in the day were. so, i will give then a coat of black soon. after a couple of hours now, the crossovers are replaced, and in a few moments i will compare them to the ones that i have. the original crossovers are a revision "b" design made in 1992, while the replacement panels are version "d" from 1994. also picked up another tfm 35. i might have to get a forth one now to bridge the 35's to each ribbon. the though of getting them refurbished though makes me cringe. at a cost of 299 plus 46 each way in shipping will be brutal. 4 x 299 for the 35's, 2x 299 for the 55's plus 12 shipping charges come to a whopping $2346. wow. i may reconsider that after adding it up. another day down to carver fest....
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 am

so i played my sheffield/coustic set up disc. on the phase track i notice that the center image is backwards on the new set. where the voice should be in the middle, it is equal in both speakers and vice versa. i go to my ribbons and it is correct. i played a drum track and noticed the sound stage is all over the place with the new set, but focused with my set. well, at that point i got out the flash light and noticed that a ribbon on the new set is wired backwards compared to the other 5 ribbons. wow. how could this have gotten by quality control at carver and the time of manufacture of the ribbons. every body has a bad day huh. i bet the original owner was never aware just how messed up these sounded compared to ones that are correct. so out comes the solder gun for some more corrections. otherwise, the crossover fixed them so far. the original woofers sound good, but the ones that i replaced mine with from quantum audio do sound a little fuller in the bottom end. as the suspension on the originals is a bit stretched out and gravity pulling on it for 18 years, i would think the newer woofers would sound better. thicker might be a better tern as the original eminence driver sound a little thinner and don't have quite the body that the replacements have. also seeing they are 18 years old, at high volumes they also pop a touch when something dynamic kicks in. anyway, what a bargain. now to find another set of al-III x-over panels and another set of quantom woofers.
Last edited by angelod307 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:02 am

wow. ribbon wired proper now. i really, really feel awful for the original owner though. to have spent upwards of $3000 for the set new, and them sound they way they did. he might not want to part with them had he known. if he bought another set of a competitors product, even an inferior one, these ribbons would have lost the sound quality of staging and imaging to have only some dynamics at best. what a total shame that the person won't know unless he heard someone else pair that are correct. :(
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:01 am

so, after 18 plus years of wishing i finally tried a ribbon for the center channel. i must say i was not as impressed as i thought i would be. it kinda sounds like a high power internal set of tv speakers. the ribbon has promice though as the tonal quality is there. the transition from left to center to right and surround is great. the best that i have ever heard. it is just that the ribbon and ten sound a little thin and it's missing the sizzle that you hear in a cinema system. in a lot of ways the center rig that i have been using sounds better. more like a cinema (6-8"woofers, 6-4" mids and 6-1/2" tweeters in medium size cabinets along with 2-5.25 mids and a 3/4" dome tweeter and then a horn tweeter to add that much needed sizzle). anyway, i have a good idea of what i need to do. it will consist of a 48" or 60" ribbon for the midrange along with atleast 2-10"'s or maybe even 2-12"'s or 2-15"'s for the midbass drivers in a ported box design along with a horn loaded treble section. as i have said, it is much closer to the sound i have always wanted, just lacking the realistic sound that a center speaker should be. as i have a lot of room on my fire place ledge, i may just build a center/subwoofer combo cabinet. what i have decided for sure though is that this third set of ribbons will become the surround back for the theater setup. only delima is that the wires are already ran throught the walls and there is no more room to add more without ripping out sheetrock to get to it. the good news is that i ran two sets of wires for the center and for the woofers. bad news is that they are not long enough to reach behind me and i would need to splice them. crimps and solder. i hate splicing. i rather have solid runs. a option may be to go over through the cealing as opposed to going under the house. that is for another day though. any input from some one that has done this center channel ribbon would be greatly appreciated.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:11 am

i also noticed that the tfm 55 in stereo for left and right has a slightly different sound/tone to it than a tfm 35 bridged mono for the center. i used the auto eq function on the pioneer reciever and the settings are different between the left/right and center even though the speakers are the same and at the same distance away. i also forgot to mention that i put some pillows behind the ribbon and that helped some as well. i added the horn tweeter, but the horn had to much output compared to the ribbon. but it sounded better for the most part.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 3:18 pm

and then, i recieved my tfm55 back from rolland. i have spent about an hour doing the a/b thing, and the amps sound almost the same. if anything, the rebuild soulds like the mid is a touch cleaner, and the bass seems a bit tighter, just not as boomy. curious to see what the group hears at the fest. now for another 55, and the rear side surrounds for now are gonna get a 35 on them. count so far, 3-35's, 2-55's. also look forward to the custom center after i get another ribbon. i got a set of sunfire style ribbons to add to the center. maybe that will do away with the horn.
Last edited by angelod307 on Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:42 pm

angelod307 wrote:and then, i recieved my tfm55 back from rolland. i have spent about an hour doing the a/b thing, and the amps sound almost the same. if anything, the rebuild soulds like the mid is a touch cleaner, and the bass seems a bit tighter, just not as boomy. curious to see what the group hears at the fest. now for another 55, and the rear side surrounds for now are gonna get a 35 on them. count so far, 3-35's, 2-55's. also look forward to the custom center after i get another ribbon. i got a set of sunfire style ribbons to add to the center. maybe that will do any with the horn.

Your 55 must have been in pretty good shape to sound the same after a re build....
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:12 pm

and then, i got my hands on some crown xls802's cheap. wonder what they will sound like. i am waiting on some balanced connectors to come in from cable wholesalers to come in so i can make some patch cords to find out.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:39 pm

and yet another transition photo.

<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:12 am

Wow, OCCD is in full swing. :lol: :lol:
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:54 am

That's a good way to overheat some amps:

TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:58 pm

TNRabbit wrote:That's a good way to overheat some amps:

yeah, no ,maybe. i can't say that i have ever had them over heat. when i was younger, i would just put a small 10-15" fan behind them to flow some air. presently there is a filter behind there that is above the ac intake for the house. that tends to pull a little air though there so it is not just a hot spot with no flow. also, for the most part, the is only one amp on when i jam on music, the top one. the others stay off. this may change when i get a oppo 83se dvd player(or something nice in sacd). when we watch a movie, there is not enough volume to speak of to get anything hot. this has been the way they have been stacked since new. i have though about using some cross flow fans, just do not know that i want the noise that they would add.
PreviousNext

Return to List / Update Your System