FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Oppo BDP-83 Audiophile Upgrade

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:12 pm

Re: Oppo BDP-83 Audiophile Upgrade

Extracting high-quality audio from Blu-ray players is problematic. The HDMI signal interleaves video and audio data which, upon decoding, produces an inherent jitter as high as 7nanoseconds (For comparison, a good CD player’s jitter is in the picosecond range). In practical terms, it is difficult to properly decode HDMI audio without employing extensive reclocking circuits, thus pushing up the cost of a good HDMI audio pre-processor.

well., when listening to my denon 1520 vs my samsung blueray
I can hear that the denon sounds better....not as harsh.
this is using rca cables. it kinda makes sense that the denon would sound better, it's only job is to reproduce music, not all the info of video also.

just my take on this...
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

basspig

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:02 am

I have the Oppo BDP-83 and ran some bench tests on it. Now I see why the SE upgrade is so popular--the stock unit has the square wave response of the first generation CD players of 1983! The low pass filter rings like a bell, all the way through to zero crossing on the 400 Hz square wave test. All of my CD players and also my Sony BD player fare MUCH better, producing a better damped square wave. Perhaps all that ringing creates a sense of "air" that a number of people like. But it's far from high fidelity.
I'm still beside myself that any modern-day manufacturer would use a Nyquist filter that steep and prone to oscillation.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
http://www.ampexperts.com
http://www.mwhdvideo.com
-
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:16 am

Have you now taken to listening to square waves?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

basspig

TFM-6cb

Post Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:55 pm

Square waves are a complex collection of sine wave intervals and are an excellent way to get an accurate snapshot of DAC/preamp/amp performance, which is why they were used to test CD players and phono cartridges in the 70s/80s in audio reviews. Their successful representation requires precise phase, timing and amplitude response across the entire audio bandwidth.
My studio recording gear reproduces square waves with excellent accuracy. So does the Carver C4000 preamp. But when you see the waveform out of the Oppo... it barely resembles a square wave--it's got sine waves riding on top of it and a good 20% overshoot.
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
http://www.basspig.com The Bass Pig's Lair - 16,500 watts of driving surround sound!

Business sites at:
http://www.ampexperts.com
http://www.mwhdvideo.com
-
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:00 am

after seeing the se model, i may have to get one someday. thats after i get a superior preamp, as the pioneer vsx1014 is ok for the theater setup. maybe after a sunfire 3 or 4.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:16 am

angelod307 wrote:after seeing the se model, i may have to get one someday. thats after i get a superior preamp, as the pioneer vsx1014 is ok for the theater setup. maybe after a sunfire 3 or 4.

I can tell you first hand the 83SE will put out some great sound when using the 8 channel for SACD and Bluray surround. Also when using the analog stereo output you will find the 83SE to be outstanding. I have the OPPO hooked up to the TG IV both ways, of course the 8 channel is pass through to the amps, and the stereo outputs can be processed or not by the TG IV. IMHO your choice of the OPPO 83SE and a TG pre/pro would be excellent.
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:43 pm

hel guys. theatershack.com has a givaway. meet the requirements, and enter to win one of the three models offered by oppo.i did.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:43 am

Did you enter or did you win.
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:07 pm

just entered. i hope to win.
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)