Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:46 am

Re: Questions for Bob @ CarverFest 2010

quote from thread:

geoff-b wrote:
Well crap !! The only reason I bought a TFM-55 (to have rebuilt) was that I thought it had the "TFM sound"! Do I need a 45 to have the "tubey flavor" ?? Anyone want a 55 for repair?

richp wrote:

The 55 is well thought of, and quite powerful; that it doesn't have the TFM circuit doesn't seem to have tarnished its rep. at all.

The 45 and all models that are equivalent were matched to Bob's Silver seven tube amp. The remainder of the TFM series, well, as you've seen some have a TFM circuit and some don't. The literature says they were designed to have ""information from null tests was used to create a unique sonic signature with tube-like, rich rolling bass, and soft yet detailed treble "

Then again, the owner manual states it's matched to the silver-7

YMMV.

If you got the TFM-55 for a decent price, you'd probably enjoy it very much.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Aug 28, 2010 3:47 am

geoff-b wrote:
It's been my understanding that the X series amps do not have the component (resistor?) that simulates the tube amp sound that the "regular" TFMs possess. Although........I am highly prone to having misconceptions, frequently !!

The only CARVER brand model that utilized the 'current source' resistor was the M-4.0t/TFM-4.0/TFM-42/TFM-45

All the others used a current feedback loop (in addition to the regular feedback) to slightly alter the amps characteristics.

In the case of the TFM-55/TFM-55X, even the TFM-55 didn't have the TFM circuit installed, so it was a bit of marketing.

In the snippet below (a portion of one channel on the TFM-55) you can see that original design called for it, but it was 'not installed'
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:44 am

TFM any amp on the cheap
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10867&hilit=resistor

Watch and learn:
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 am

Toymaker,

Are you and Bob planning on having a demo floor to ceiling speaker on hand that Bob referred to in his 2008 Carverfest discussion? Is that still in the works? :-k :-k

Don
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:37 am

It is still in the works, but currently on hold. He is awaiting the parts from Sunfire....not quite sure why but something is delaying the shipment. Unfortunately, these will not be at this year's 'fest as we had planned.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:44 pm

treitz3 wrote:It is still in the works, but currently on hold. He is awaiting the parts from Sunfire....not quite sure why but something is delaying the shipment. Unfortunately, these will not be at this year's 'fest as we had planned.

Tom,

Probably a good thing. Don't know where I put another pair of new toys to listen to right now.

Don
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 3:13 pm

If he can answer symptom questions? 1. Why does my Sunfire TGP-III disconnect from the amp? I put on a CD turn on everything hit play, CD player is playing but nothing! I shut everything off, unplug Processor/plug back in and all works again. This usually happens after a power outage, but recently it's been doing this at least once a week? Thanks
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:03 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:If he can answer symptom questions? 1. Why does my Sunfire TGP-III disconnect from the amp? I put on a CD turn on everything hit play, CD player is playing but nothing! I shut everything off, unplug Processor/plug back in and all works again. This usually happens after a power outage, but recently it's been doing this at least once a week? Thanks
That happens to me sometimes and it has to do with the all digital guts. Anyway, your solution is the same as mine. I usually do it at the back of the processor (because it's easier to reach for me). It doesn't need to be a big outage, either. It's actually not totally disconnected. I found that analog sources seem to still work. It's all the digital ones that get dropped. It's actually documented on page 53 under the heading TGIII does not respond to any controls
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:37 pm

BillD wrote:
Jag_97470 wrote:If he can answer symptom questions? 1. Why does my Sunfire TGP-III disconnect from the amp? I put on a CD turn on everything hit play, CD player is playing but nothing! I shut everything off, unplug Processor/plug back in and all works again. This usually happens after a power outage, but recently it's been doing this at least once a week? Thanks
That happens to me sometimes and it has to do with the all digital guts. Anyway, your solution is the same as mine. I usually do it at the back of the processor (because it's easier to reach for me). It doesn't need to be a big outage, either. It's actually not totally disconnected. I found that analog sources seem to still work. It's all the digital ones that get dropped. It's actually documented on page 53 under the heading TGIII does not respond to any controls

Thanks BillD, but I only have analog cables (Kimber RCA) on the inputs/outputs, no digital. :-k Maybe Bob can comment on it, might be a trip to Rita's if there "is a fix"?
<<

angelod307

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:06 pm

Toy Maker wrote:TFM any amp on the cheap
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10867&hilit=resistor

Watch and learn:

thanks, i watched the whole thing not too long ago. the resistor is a neat thing, but it throws the damping of the amp to muddy and/or boomy bass. still curious why it's in the schematic, but not in production. the placement of the circuit seem to be in the preamp part with some feedback design of sorts. but i am far from any kind of tech that understands these things on schematics.
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:58 pm

when doing repairs/upgrades on the power supply caps, how much bigger can one go before the mag field amps will have problems on power up?
this relates to traic firing/ time relationship
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 3:14 pm

I'm posting this here, so I don't forget to ask. I have already heard the answers to these questions during late night BS sessions with Bob, but I think Bob has a very different perspective on these topics than most would expect.
I want to catch this on tape, as I found his answers very interesting.

Bob.. Please explain in detail, your theories on US / China outsourcing?
As part of the 1st question, please also explain your view on the "concept of wealth" and how it pertains to Americans, and China.
Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Toy Maker wrote:I'm posting this here, so I don't forget to ask. I have already heard the answers to these questions during late night BS sessions with Bob, but I think Bob has a very different perspective on these topics than most would expect.
I want to catch this on tape, as I found his answers very interesting.

Bob.. Please explain in detail, your theories on US / China outsourcing?
As part of the 1st question, please also explain your view on the "concept of wealth" and how it pertains to Americans, and China.

If Bob is watching that girl dance in the corner, you guys will never get any answers!!! :lol: :lol:
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:24 pm

This is a question from a post I just started >

This is not looking good my friends ](*,) When I first put on a CD it was miss tracking, sound, no sound. At first I though it was the CD, so I put in another CD with same results. This is what led me to the connections! It is strange that the left current and voltage are distorted? You would think these would be separate outputs? It doesn't look that way in my testing. It's the left channel current and voltage that is distorted. Maybe a question for Bob? If your left/right speaker terminals are touching on the amp, is this channel now toast? This is a Sad day :(

Cinema Grand 200 X 5
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:30 am

TFM any amp on the cheap

It still won't sound like a tube amp.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
PreviousNext

Return to CARVERFEST 2010