It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:31 am

Carverfest packing reminder thread...

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:44 am

Carverfest packing reminder thread...

Here's a list of things we would like to remind you about when packing for this year's event. If anything is missing, post it here please. If you have another suggestion for everybody, please post it here. Thanks all.

1 - Print out the phone numbers of everybody who is coming. If you happen to break down on the way or need help getting there, help unpacking, a question about the last store or closest Wal-Mart or city? You'll be able to contact somebody to assist you.

2 - Remember to pack a flashlight and fresh batteries. One per person would be advisable. The mountains are out in the boontillies of North Carolina and the closest street light is probably 7 miles away. Point being, it's pretty damned dark out there. There is actually more light coming from the stars than the cabins themselves.

3 - Bring some extra rolls of toilet paper if you plan on having guests come to your cabin to listen to your rig. We have about 40-45 folks coming this year and while the cabins supply toilet paper? They only do it once, not daily.

4 - NO BOSE. As part of the unspoken rules of Carverfest, anybody who brings BLOSE into the cabins will immediately have to check it in at the door to offer it as a sacrifice to the audio Gods. A ceremony will have to be scheduled to find out when we all can watch it being thrown off the side of the mountain.

5 - Bring an umbrella "just in case". We will be in Nature's house this upcoming weekend and even though weather patterns have been dry lately, it has rained at every single Carverfest held. Think of it as insurance for your gear as you are packing or unpacking if you don't mind getting wet.

6 - No smoking in the Cabins, no exceptions. Do not flick your butts in the forest either. If we see you flick your butt off the side of the mountain, the next thing going over the mountain will be you.

7 - Don't forget your swimsuit. This is optional for the women, of course. There is a jacuzzi at every cabin....why deny yourself the luxury?

8 - Bring a selection of your favorite music and test tracks. There will be many rigs that will be setup throughout Carverfest and you may be very interested in hearing your favorite tracks or reference material on some of them. Got something killer you would like to share with the group? Bring it. A description of what you hear won't work as good as the actual music.

9 - Bring power strips or heavy duty extension cords. This mostly applies to folks that are bringing a rig or two but if you have one you can pack? It may come in handy for someone. The reason this was mentioned is that we have had some issues in the past with outlets at the cabins not being placed where they are at your house. If you want to place your rig in the optimal acoustical spot, there may not be an outlet [or outlets] to supply your rig with power.

10 - Bring your favorite cup/mug/coolie. I am requesting that you take this into serious consideration. It's not a rule, it's a suggestion to help the main cabins. Here's why. It happens every year that the main host cabins either have 28 glasses when they should have 15, or they have 4 coffee mugs when they should have 10. With so many people going in and out of any and all cabins for various reasons an untold amount of times per day, it is impossible to keep track of what mug/glass goes with what cabin. Every freakin' year we have to waste an hour or three while packing to reclaim or figure out where the hell things went. While this is really nobody's fault, it will improve [and has improved] dramatically if you have your own personal cup/mug/coolie.

11 - Take photos of the interior of your cabin before you go setting up your rig(s). Some cabins require some major changes to the cabin in order to accommodate the rig to optimal acoustics. While this is no problem [moving furniture], if you don't set it back up the way you found it? You may have a hefty fee tacked onto your bill, especially if it takes two people to move it back. Please read the cabin agreement that you have to sign for all the terms and conditions. This is not a rule, but a suggestion that has come in handy every freakin' year we have attended. To date, no fee has been charged and if we keep this up? There won't ever be an additional fee.

12 - Bring some cash. You never know what may pop up for sale. Those that don't like shopping and haven't contributed to the food fund? Well, if you can't figure that one out......you will when you get hungry. #-o

13 - Bungee cord your trash at the cabin!!! The cabins provide two trash cans with locking lids. Unless you want to pick up all the trash in the morning, it is strongly advised that you use these lids and lock them with the bungee cords! They do have bears, raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels, bobcats and other "critters" that would love nothing more than to rummage through your trash and they will stop at nothing to get that opportunity. There will be no overnight security trash detail provided.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:24 am

Re: Carverfest packing reminder thread...

I remember the flashlight I had in the car came in handy last year when we made a late night trek up to Eddie and Jesse's cabin. No shit...it's dark around there!!! :shock:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:11 pm

yep--really dark-- a flashlight is a must if you travel the hidden trails between the cabins. 8)
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:04 pm

13 - Bungee cord your trash at the cabin!!! The cabins provide two trash cans with locking lids. Unless you want to pick up all the trash in the morning, it is strongly advised that you use these lids and lock them with the bungee cords! They do have bears, raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels, bobcats and other "critters" that would love nothing more than to rummage through your trash and they will stop at nothing to get that opportunity. There will be no overnight security trash detail provided.

I like this one! Any critters get in my can! They's going to find their way to dinner! LOL!
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:04 pm

don't forget the lions and tigers :D
<<

kingman

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:08 pm

They's going to find their way to dinner!
...Carved up RACCOON!!!!!!...room for all God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:41 pm

...Carved up RACCOON!!!!!!...room for all God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

have you really eatin coon?

how about just hit roadkill coon?

I may have or may not have....

it stews up nice or so I'm told :-" :-" :-" :-"
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:20 am

Here's the local forecast for Carverfest 2010....

http://www.wunderground.com/US/NC/Bryson_City.html

Looks like showers for the first Friday and Saturday with temperatures hanging around the 56-85 degree mark. Hopefully the link will change for you on a daily basis. See you folks there!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:05 am

hmmm-- i'm gonna have a fire-- no matter what the weather-- 50's at night-- nice. 8)
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Oh, hell yeah George!!! A fire is a must.

I knew there was something I forgot about and I just remembered what it was. Before you folks leave, check your route out and see if any speed traps fall within the route you are taking to get there. It might just save you a lot of unnecessary hassle and money.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11689

Be safe and we'll see you at the 'fest!

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Wed Sep 08, 2010 3:50 pm

Just a friendly reminder for those who have not paid for your cabin in full, the Credit Card that made the deposit payment will be charged the rest of the amount the day of your arrival. Regardless as to whether or not someone else was supposed to pay for their part. Basically, that means if your room mates have not paid you [or the cabins] and you made the initial deposit, YOU will be charged.

You might want to take the time to get together with your room mates to insure that there are no issues the day you arrive. Due to all of us being grown-ups, this will be the last reminder you will get.

I'd also like to reiterate that I have absolutely nothing to do with payments. That has not been, nor will ever be on me. That is and will be the Cabins responsibility. I do, however have an updated list of what cabins still owe some dollars. If you are curious as to what's going on with your cabin, feel free to PM me or give me a jingle and I'll get back with you as soon as I can. Keep in mind that I will only be here for the next 48 hours or so to respond. If you can't reach me for whatever reason, just call the cabins.

The two contact #'s for the cabins are:
828-788-3855 Kaitlyn's cell#
828-488-3688 Sandra's # that is also the main cabin office#

I can be reached on my cell phone. It is 803-579-0607

We'll see you there!

<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:53 am

Looks like the next week is lots of rain/partly cloudy...
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Here is the closest weather and at a similar elevation. Elevation is the weather key up here. It can get cold in the mountains anytime of year and rain is always likely. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=almond+nc This has been a cool week since the LEE passed, but now it is 67 there and 83 here - big difference!! The station on my dock is at 665 feet, the cabins are near 3000. http://I'm a Fucking Asshole.typepad.com/ycweather/

I trapped and moved 3 Raccoons last week. These are smart, beautiful creatures that have hands to open trash cans with. Mine were draining my many Humming Bird feeders.

We are in luck and the Moon will be bright. No moon makes a hell of a difference. Here at my place, I use flash lights everyday. I have some good small ones. Ask me to see them as you might want to buy one like it when you get home.

Return to CARVERFEST 2010