FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:20 pm

Carver "Silver Four" Monoblock project

<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:30 pm

Carver "Silver Four" Monoblock project

I have started this thread to chronicle the build of my Carver "Silver Four" vacuum tube monoblock amps. Last week, I recieved the chassis from Bob for the "Cherry 180's" he builds for sale on Ebay, along with the schematics for them, and they will form the basis of this project. Bob has given his blessings for naming the amps and will be advising on the project.

Currently, the chassis are being fitted with 3/8 inch highly polished black granite decks and faceplates, along with polished aluminum bezels that will ring the tubes at their base. I will post pictures as I get them of every step of the build.
Last edited by nooshinjohn on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:47 pm

Re: Carver "Silver Four" Monoblock project

OHHHHHHH!!!!! 8) 8) 8) 8)
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:28 pm

Sweet!
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:38 pm

Wow John!!! That sounds great! Building these amps yourself will be a great project, and when you are done give you a wonderful sense of satisfaction. I'll be very interested in your updates. :)
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:27 pm

I will get the granite work back sometime next week. All I can say is that they look damn sexy without tubes. I can only imagine that they will get better with every step in the process. I can share a pic with you guys about my thought for the transformer cover. It is the upper portion of a Duesenberg radiator shell. I am having these made out of polished aluminum, though cut down and scaled to fit. Imagine them sitting behind those KT120's on platforms of mirror-black granite! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ 8)
Attachments
Duesenberg_SSJ.jpg
Duesenberg_SSJ.jpg (142.41 KiB) Viewed 2288 times
Last edited by nooshinjohn on Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carver Statement Reference Monoblocks!!!The Gear... Carver "Statement" Monoblocks, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds, Dodd Audio MLP, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Peachtree I-DAC, Oppo BDP-93, Yamaha PX-3 Turntable, with Sumiko BPS EVOIII, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, SimAudio moon 110lp phono preamplifier.[/size]
<<

beemers417

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:34 pm

Pics? :D
Gunter the wonder dog is watching you...
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:36 pm

Soon. I will post some nekid chassis pics and a few shots with the granite in place when I get them home. The shot of the Duesenberg should give you an idea about the expectations I have on this project.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 1:22 am

when are you getting to Carverfest
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:40 am

I do not know yet... I may have to work on Saturday, and if that is the case it may not make sense to drive down.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:14 am

Silver 4? :-k Sooooo, how many tubes total will this have :-k Sounds interesting, looking forward to watching your progress.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:43 am

Jag_97470 wrote:Silver 4? :-k Sooooo, how many tubes total will this have :-k Sounds interesting, looking forward to watching your progress.

They will use 6 KT120's instead of the usual KT88's. According to Bob, this will give the amps 450wpc at clipping. I decided to name the amps based on output rather than tube count. The Ebay amps are , according to Bob, the equivalent of a "Silver Three".

I am thrilled beyond words to be able to call these amps Carvers, and being able to use his name on this project has driven me to take every aspect of it to the next level. This is going to cost me an extra grand on the build just for "cosmetics", but the end result must live up to the name and be something that Bob would be proud of.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:21 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

nooshinjohn

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:46 pm

The decks and faceplates will be done by Wednesday. The faces will be etched with this

CARVER
Statement 400~1
Vacuum Tube Reference Monoblock

The wording will be filled in with silver dust in homage to the original Silver Seven. I am having second thoughts about attaching the "Silver" monaker to them as they deserve to remain in a class by themselves.

***EDIT***

I just spoke to a jeweller here in town. He is going to be able to melt sterling silver into the etched lettering, thus making them shiny and professional appearing logos! :D
Last edited by nooshinjohn on Thu Sep 16, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:17 pm

Weren't the Silver 7s wired with silver wire, and soldered with silver solder?
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:21 pm

nooshinjohn wrote:I do not know yet... I may have to work on Saturday, and if that is the case it may not make sense to drive down.

It doesn't matter whether or not you have to work......you really, really need to get your ass down here. The systems are just outstanding this year. We have definitely raised the bar and it just doesn't get any better than this.....

In my best Fred Flintstone voice.....*YyyyyaaaaaaaabbbBBBBaaaaDdddddddaaaaaaaaBBBa-DOOOOoooooooooOOOO!!!!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
Next

Return to Carver Tubes