Ribbon buzzing

Carver Speaker Discussions and Questions
OconeeOrange
"Forum Troll"
"Forum Troll"
Posts: 3992
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:24 pm
Contact:

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by OconeeOrange » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:25 pm

I was advised not to try ribbons on my deck due to humidity. :-({|=

As I like to keep my windows up as much as possible, my house and my deck are similar. Bob believes we all deserve ribbons. After emails with a guy who has them on a yacht, I gave ribbons a shot on the deck for the last few months. (they are not cheap) I have the small trio ones, and the Summer has had no effect on them. They remain crisp and clear here in SC. They sound so good, it will break your heart. I don't use them to send sound over the yard, just have them zeroed in to this chair. They do require a sub.

Another myth is now crushed. ](*,) Don't believe the guys posting on POLK who don't actually have speakers this good.

You can buy replacement ribbons for these even on Amazon cheap, but I can see I will not need to. Looking forward to testing them in snow fall this Winter.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ GO BOB \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

User avatar
TNRabbit
R.I.P. Friend
R.I.P. Friend
Posts: 13360
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:53 am
Location: TN Native Languishing in VA
Contact:

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by TNRabbit » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:32 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:I was advised not to try ribbons on my deck due to humidity. :-({|=

As I like to keep my windows up as much as possible, my house and my deck are similar. Bob believes we all deserve ribbons. After emails with a guy who has them on a yacht, I gave ribbons a shot on the deck for the last few months. (they are not cheap) I have the small trio ones, and the Summer has had no effect on them. They remain crisp and clear here in SC. They sound so good, it will break your heart. I don't use them to send sound over the yard, just have them zeroed in to this chair. They do require a sub.

Another myth is now crushed. ](*,) Don't believe the guys posting on POLK who don't actually have speakers this good.

You can buy replacement ribbons for these even on Amazon cheap, but I can see I will not need to. Looking forward to testing them in snow fall this Winter.

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ GO BOB \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
TNRabbit
Image

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.

ecc6c2
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by ecc6c2 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:18 pm

I am a new Carver Amazing original owner. The speakers sound great but I have noticed a buzzing in one of the ribbons at certain high and low frequencies. There is a crease in the ribbon that appears to be the source of the buzzing. Anyone know the best way to fix this issue? I am guessing there is some delamination between the aluminum and kapton at the crease but I'm not exactly sure.

User avatar
engtaz
"TAZ"
Posts: 5385
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:43 pm
Location: Tampa, FL

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by engtaz » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:23 pm

welcome, someone will be able to give you a idea where to start.
engtaz


Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use

User avatar
Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by Scarabeo » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:35 am

ecc6c2 wrote: There is a crease in the ribbon that appears to be the source of the buzzing..
There should never be a crease in a ribbon for the most part and if its only buzzing near the crease and its the only crease then you could have a tear running long way up one of the sides were you may not be able to see - This was the case with one of my ribbons that now is gone!

One thing is you can try to tighten the bolt near the crease "BUT" (VERY) little and very slow and I mean real little amounts but wait until other chime in with other idea's and see what comes around and in the mean time Try and get a picture of the crease and take a flashlight to look at both the sides of the crease.

Good Luck!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

ecc6c2
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by ecc6c2 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. Here are a few photos of the crease or crack in the ribbon. I'll inspect the ribbon a little closer and tighten the screws on either side of the crease tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_0859_small.jpg
IMG_0859_small.jpg (99.96 KiB) Viewed 4621 times
IMG_0854.JPG
IMG_0854.JPG (112.78 KiB) Viewed 4621 times
Last edited by ecc6c2 on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angelod307
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2654
Joined: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:56 pm
Location: manning, sc

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by angelod307 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:01 am

nice photo's, could you blow them up a little. it is kinda hard to see the problem.
CarverFest: I just go for the arts and crafts

User avatar
Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by Scarabeo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:39 pm

angelod307 wrote:nice photo's, could you blow them up a little. it is kinda hard to see the problem.
Yes - those are WAY TOO BIG!!! Try removing those and re-size to 800x600 or smaller...

From what I can tell tho those ribbons have a fold crease ??? Not the same as I was looking for!!! HOLD OFF on,,,Well anything until other idea's come around!!!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

ecc6c2
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by ecc6c2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:37 pm

Those pictures were ridiculous, sorry about that. I tried tightening the screws around the crease last night but this did not fix the problem. I was afraid to tighten them too much as they were pretty snug already. Dumb question, but what is actually being done when I tighten the screws? Is this adding tension to the ribbons?

User avatar
Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by Scarabeo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:00 pm

ecc6c2 wrote:Those pictures were ridiculous, sorry about that. I tried tightening the screws around the crease last night but this did not fix the problem. I was afraid to tighten them too much as they were pretty snug already. Dumb question, but what is actually being done when I tighten the screws? Is this adding tension to the ribbons?
Yep! The bolts loosen sometimes and you get a buzz so its good to check. Hope you did not over do it as you only need to bolt down a hair in thickness!!! I can not see why you would get a fold looking crease in a ribbon :-k

You may end up needing a replacement but don't panic just yet until someone else comes up with anything! Did you say it was a 30 inch ribbon???
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

ecc6c2
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by ecc6c2 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:42 pm

ya, its a 30" ribbon

gunner64
Newbie
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:57 am
Location: Dubuque,Iowa

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by gunner64 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:34 pm

Hi,Don't forget the hair dryer trick.I did it on one of my "48 ribbons that was buzzing only at a certain frequency and it cured the problem.For how long I don't know but it's been a month or so,and it's still going strong.it seemed to add to the overall clarity also.Just a thought before any major deconstruction takes place.-it may work.

ecc6c2
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by ecc6c2 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:34 pm

After having the house opened up for several days, a second ribbon developed a buzz. I ran the dehumidifier for a couple of days and the buzz went away in the second ribbon. However, the buzz still remains in the ribbon with the crease. I also tried running a hair dryer over the crease but the buzz still remains. It's beginning to look like this ribbon will have to be rebuilt/replaced.

User avatar
Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by Scarabeo » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:45 pm

ecc6c2 wrote:After having the house opened up for several days, a second ribbon developed a buzz. I ran the dehumidifier for a couple of days and the buzz went away in the second ribbon. However, the buzz still remains in the ribbon with the crease. I also tried running a hair dryer over the crease but the buzz still remains. It's beginning to look like this ribbon will have to be rebuilt/replaced.
Well that sounds like yes, Maybe you will need another ribbon :(
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

User avatar
Scarabeo
SILVER-7 TUBE AMP
Posts: 2608
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:05 pm

Re: Ribbon buzzing

Post by Scarabeo » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:00 pm

ecc6c2 wrote:ya, its a 30" ribbon
is it the top ribbon or the one at the bottom?
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...

Post Reply

Return to “Carver Speakers”