FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:45 am

Modest System

<<

TORO3

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:38 am

Modest System

Here's my modest system. The next additions will be some MIT speaker cable and hopefully a Sunfire sub.

Mr. M's AV Risers (http://www.avrisers.com) are sitting underneath the Sunfire Cinema, which makes the amp look nice and ventilated. Thanks again, Mr. M!

Here's the system details:
Harmon Kardon AVR 240 (as pre)
Sony RCD-W5000 (CD Player/Recorder)
Sunfire Cinema 200~7 Architect's Choice
Sunfire CRM2s
Sub - Recently sold an old Polk - so no sub right now
MIT AVT3 Interconnects
Attachments
DPP_0003813.JPG
DPP_0003813.JPG (287.02 KiB) Viewed 1745 times
Sunfire CRM2s, Sunfire CRS3C, Sunfire Cinema Seven, Harmon Kardon AVR240, Sony RCD-W5000

UDUB Football!
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:14 am

Re: Modest System

=D> =D> =D> Thanks for sharing your set-up!
That is a damn nice system all the way around! You should be proud of your self for picking classy and wonderful goodies *5* \:D/ Enjoy...
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:06 am

Very nice setup. What sub are you going to get? http://www.chasehometheater.com/ is getting rave reviews.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:57 am

Very nice. =D> =D> =D> What types of music do you listen to?
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Mr. M-500t

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:20 am

Looking good TORO3. =D>
<<

thuffman03

!! CarverFest Evictee !!

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:45 am

Very nice.

I have heard finally heard a set of CRM2's at Carverfest this year and I am working on getting a set.
Some cool Carver stuff!
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:23 am

Looking good! and I bet it sounds awesome too. What kind of power strip is that on the floor, are you using any type of surge protection?
<<

TORO3

M-400t CUBE

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:45 am

engtaz wrote:Very nice setup. What sub are you going to get? http://www.chasehometheater.com/ is getting rave reviews.

I'm not to sure. My mind has changed a couple of times. Ideally I'd like to go with the TS-EQ10, but I've also been looking at the Velodyne Optimum 10 and Polk Audio DSW2000s. The Velodyne and Sunfire have pretty hefty price tags on them. I could probably get a Polk for $325 on Polk's ebay page, which would be nice on my bank account. Right now I'm looking for something small and compact.

I checked out that link. Nice looking speakers. I'm gonna have to do a little more research on them. Thanks for the link!

kingman wrote:Very nice. =D> =D> =D> What types of music do you listen to?

Oh man. I guess it depends on the type of mood I'm in. Lately I've been listening to some Cambodian and Malian music like Dengue Fever, Tinariwen, Boubacar Traore, and Ali Farka Toure. My girlfriend and buddy down here absolutely hate this music, but I like it.

Jag_97470 wrote:Looking good! and I bet it sounds awesome too. What kind of power strip is that on the floor, are you using any type of surge protection?

It's a SIIG surge protector. The cool thing is that one of the 6 outlets is a master outlet, which is connected to three other outlets. When you turn the power off on the component that is connected to the master, it relays the other outlets to turn off -- it kind of acts like a trigger. You have some control over this action as there's a switch to turn it on or off.

http://www.amazon.com/Powersaver-Green- ... =de_a_smtd
* You can get it for cheaper than $40.

Thanks for all of the kind words!
Sunfire CRM2s, Sunfire CRS3C, Sunfire Cinema Seven, Harmon Kardon AVR240, Sony RCD-W5000

UDUB Football!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:12 pm

If you're looking for a kick-ass sub at rock bottom prices, check out Epik:

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/

They just came out with a dual 12" LEGEND sub that's only $499.00 and their dual 15" Empire is only $799.00--

http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/products.html
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

Jag_97470

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:51 pm

The reason I asked about your surge is because I myself have terrible power in my area and I was concerned about this. Are you running everything off of one 15 amp outlet? A lot of people never think about power coming into there house and believe me it can make a huge difference. Mr Carver recommends (you will hear this in one of the Carverfest videos) to plug all his amps directly into the wall. If you outlet is tied into other outlets/switches these devices will add up fast if you entire system is also on that line. The max you can pull on a 15 amp circuit is 1800 watts and overload will start throwing breakers. I had this problem in my house with the circuit tied into the refrigerator on the other side of the wall, Not good! I ran a dedicated line from the panel box and installed two of these > http://www.psaudio.com/store/products.p ... he-Soloist
These are a in-wall surge and line filters with a green light letting you know the ground is good and everything is protecting your gear. Just a heads up on something very ofter overlooked. It really all starts with Clean Power. :D
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:59 pm

What the rabbit said. I have some good and bad subs (one with a Carver emblem). ](*,)

I have a couple good subs, but for the last months have been thinking about this one. http://www.epiksubwoofers.com/empire.html

Make no mistake, bigger is better on subs, ask BassPig 8)

Have a 1200 watt POLK that is very good here on the deck - hope I don't spill this beer on it and have to order this EPIC - (would my wife understand?) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You do have a really nice system. You do need a sub. Get a big one. I say this as a guy who does not care for Bass. I just want things to sound normal in my stereo. TV needs different things. That Epic should handle it all.
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:56 am

Funny commentary from Epik's website:

Satisfaction

We’ve noticed that our customers often crank up their subwoofers for the first few days with the loudest material possible. They are excited about experiencing bass at high output levels. After the subwoofer system is run through the ceremonial barrage of bass heavy DVD’s or recordings and gets dialed in a little bit better to the room, customers start listening to how it actually sounds.

This is when the subwoofer starts to show its true colors. All of the low bass output in the world can not fix muddy, bloated and unmusical bass performance. That is why the Empire was designed around sound quality first and foremost.

When the Empire is reproducing an audio signal, it just sounds better. It gives you everything that you expect from an Epik subwoofer, but it also raises the bar for what to expect at this price. Who knew that reference performance could be so affordable? Epik did.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

<<

TORO3

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:55 pm

Regardless of price, how well do you think the Epik Legend sounds versus the Sunfire TS-EQ10 or TS-EQ12?

I would go with something big, but I have a GF that is sick of my Polk speakers laying everywhere in her living room. Basically, I need a small footprint with a lot of output.

For the price, the Epik Legend looks fantastic. It's not too big, and it doesn't cost too much. I'm just wondering how it would compare to a Sunfire sub.

Thanks for the links...much appreciated.

UDUB Football!
<<

TORO3

M-400t CUBE

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 pm

Jag_97470 wrote:The reason I asked about your surge is because I myself have terrible power in my area and I was concerned about this. Are you running everything off of one 15 amp outlet? A lot of people never think about power coming into there house and believe me it can make a huge difference. Mr Carver recommends (you will hear this in one of the Carverfest videos) to plug all his amps directly into the wall. If you outlet is tied into other outlets/switches these devices will add up fast if you entire system is also on that line. The max you can pull on a 15 amp circuit is 1800 watts and overload will start throwing breakers. I had this problem in my house with the circuit tied into the refrigerator on the other side of the wall, Not good! I ran a dedicated line from the panel box and installed two of these > http://www.psaudio.com/store/products.p ... he-Soloist
These are a in-wall surge and line filters with a green light letting you know the ground is good and everything is protecting your gear. Just a heads up on something very ofter overlooked. It really all starts with Clean Power. :D

I'm currently renting a small studio down in Phoenix while I go to school. I think once we move into a house, I'll look more into getting a dedicated line.

You're right though, I am running everything off a 15 amp outlet. I should probably separate things out a little bit, especially if I get a sub. I'm liking the psaudio outlets...thanks for the links!

UDUB Football!
<<

TNRabbit

Post Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:19 pm

TORO3 wrote:Regardless of price, how well do you think the Epik Legend sounds versus the Sunfire TS-EQ10 or TS-EQ12?

I would go with something big, but I have a GF that is sick of my Polk speakers laying everywhere in her living room. Basically, I need a small footprint with a lot of output.

For the price, the Epik Legend looks fantastic. It's not too big, and it doesn't cost too much. I'm just wondering how it would compare to a Sunfire sub.

Thanks for the links...much appreciated.

I've never compared them, but the specs for the Epik subs are better than the Sunfire, FWIW. They are MUCHO cheaper, too.
TNRabbit

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A

Next

Return to List / Update Your System