FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:52 pm

Wilson Sophia's to be at CF this year!!!

<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:44 am

Wilson Sophia's to be at CF this year!!!

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Thanks to my friends at Audio Advice, I have gotten preliminary approval to feature a set of Wilson Audio Sophia [most likely the III's] at this year's Carverfest. Just now got back from an audio gathering in Charlotte and I'm rather tired so I'll fill you in on other details of tonight's happenings later but I will say that I'm stoked that these fine speakers will be attending for your listening pleasure.

Whoo-Hoo!!!
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:04 am

Re: Wilson Sophia's to be at CF this year!!!

Tom,

Is this the back door approach in telling your wife you have purchased a pair of demo Wilson Sophia's? :shock: :lol: Not a bad plan. I like it.
<<

kingman

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:23 am

Look forward to hearing them...can Don and I bi-amp these with the 75's and turn the volumn UP??? :lol:
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:53 am

Don wrote:Tom,

Is this the back door approach in telling your wife you have purchased a pair of demo Wilson Sophia's? :shock: :lol: Not a bad plan. I like it.

I thought the same thing Don. :)
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:33 am

No, no, no. If I had made a backdoor purchase of these speakers, I'd tell her the truth and have them sitting in our living room with my gear and my music today....damned the consequences. Hell, the only couch in the house is in the same room the rig is in so it couldn't be that bad. Well, that and we don't have a doghouse.

Let me have a couple of cups of coffee and I'll get back to you about the event I attended last night here in Charlotte. I auditioned some new gear, listened to familiar gear, met a string of fellow Charlotte audiophiles and made arrangements to have them there. I have no idea if they are bringing anything else or not, that is to be determined.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

BillD

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 9:44 am

Don't have James help you move them!
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:56 am

Hehehe... =D>

<<

DaveS

The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:17 pm

As I was reading the first post that is exactly what I was thinking.
The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests”.
- Patrick Henry
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:26 pm

I can assure you that these were not purchased by me.

That said, I'm trying out a pair of subs in SparkyII tomorrow. They are a custom built sub by Ty [X2, so they will be in stereo] with a built in amplifier. They use a 10" Seas driver in each sub.....which happens to be the same drivers I have in the Linbrooks [only bigger]. If they do the rig justice, these will be the next purchase for SparkyII and the Velodyne SMS-1 will be re-introduced into the rig to blend the subs to the mains and both the mains and the 2 subs to the room.

I'm thinking about ripping out the internal x-overs to the Linbrooks and building a custom enclosure to fit all the necessary upgraded crossover parts inside a separate isolated chassis. We'll see about that but I will say this....I may just bring the rig back again next year due to me making another major change(s) to it. Again, we'll see......

<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm thinking about ripping out the internal x-overs to the Linbrooks and building a custom enclosure to fit all the necessary upgraded crossover parts inside a separate isolated chassis.

naw do this.....

http://www.tubecad.com/articles_2001/Tu ... index.html

http://www.glass-ware.com/tubecircuits/ ... sover.html

he,he,he.....
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:03 pm

When you building it Mike. Very cool.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Nov 21, 2010 10:44 am

Looking forward to hearing the Wilson's no matter whose they are. :lol: :lol:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:39 pm

Ok, folks....still working on this. I just got off the phone with Jim and he's still alright with it, we just have to get approval from Dustin *prays*. I have met Dustin before and had many a conversation with him so hopefully there will be no issues. Jim was talking about possibly mating them up with some Acoustic Research gear but I told him that that was not necessary. If this does go down and you feel that you have a piece of gear that's worthy of these speakers, please post in this thread so that I can update them as to the plan.

Keep your fingers crossed ladies and gentlemen!

<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:00 pm

Sounds good Tom. I love Wilson speakers.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

kingman

Post Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:10 pm

If this does go down and you feel that you have a piece of gear that's worthy of these speakers, please post in this thread so that I can update them as to the plan.
...I don't think many of us have gear that would do the Wilson's injustice. Point? :-s
In reality, it only matters what it sounds like to YOU!!!
Next

Return to CARVERFEST 2011