List Your System !!!

Just found us? Entering CarverAudio.com for the first time? Post your introductions here and say hi to all of the other Carver enthusiasts.
admin
Site Admin

List Your System !!!

Post by admin » Wed Oct 08, 2003 1:40 am

ADD PHOTOS TO YOUR PERSONAL PHOTO ALBUM
ucp.php?i=gallery&mode=manage_albums

List what Carver/Sunfire/Phase-Linear equipment you have here.

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Wed Oct 08, 2003 8:42 am

My Carver equipment list has been getting smaller and smaller over the years... recently even sold off my SD-A/490t :( X-Box pretty much made that thing obsolete.

Currently my system consists of:
Carver CT-25.1
Carver DD5.1
(2) TFM-45's
and my favorite.... the 1st prototypes set of AL-5's 8)
Attachments
Pic00013.jpg
Pic00013.jpg (80.26 KiB) Viewed 13722 times

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Fri Oct 10, 2003 2:13 am

Well, I guess a little background is in order here.....

My name is James Sauter. I started CarverAudio.com about 6 years ago, and was the original person doing the Carver/Genesis ribbon repars.
After opening http://www.RadicalRouting.com 4 years ago, I sold CarverAudio to my father DaveS. He is currently "The Ribbon Guy" :D
I have used, and worked on all the different Carver ribbon speakers, and I personaly wanted something new/better. So I designed and built the prototype AL-V's. Our current company has all the equipment needed to build them, so I went ahead and built a set. So far there is only (1) 100% fully finished and working set. I have (2) additional sets at the shop, that are about 75% finished, but have been put aside for now.

These speakers are NOT your typical Carver ribbon speaker. I designed them to my specs... cost was not the issue in building my own speakers, as was the case for Carver in trying to build a production design.
I made a few changes to the ribbon drivers themselves, enableing them to handle the power needed to to withstand "the 1.21 Gig-a-watts of electricty" needed to get these puppies to scream :lol: hehehe
But really... I changed the membrane to handle allot more power, and give a much higher volume level. In doing so... It also made the driver less effieient... but with a Carver ribbon, that's nothing new anyway. The ribbons are now 2-Ohms each, and can handle approx, 300-400 watts RMS each. The sub is a 12" Stillwater Kicker (Mo' Betta' Bass) !!! 400 watts ea.
The finish is high end automorive BMW metalic gunmetal gray. with black cloth on the faces. As I said... they wern't designed as a mass production item.
The plan was to work with Bob Carver and take this design to become the the new Carver AL-V's .... But that has been up in the air for 2 over years now. It looks like we'b just be better off selling them direct, without the Carver name on them.

Well, there U have it.... That's how I got them.... I made them :lol:
If we were to finish one of the other sets, you'd be looking at about $3500 + shipping.

Here's a crappy pix of my set at home... sorry the pix sucks, my good Digi-cam's at the office right now.
Attachments
PIC00015.JPG
PIC00015.JPG (75.38 KiB) Viewed 13689 times

elecdik

Finally, A New Sound System!

Post by elecdik » Sat Oct 11, 2003 12:00 pm

Well this system has been a long time coming!!

After working my butt off for twenty five years or so and many hobbies later I finally got around to buying a new sound system and so far I am very impressed with the technology available.

About a month ago I asked a sales rep. to show me a powerful stereo that will also handle surround sound. He showed me the Carver C 1000 collecting dust so we began to haggle. I finally purchased the C 1000 receiver and I am very pleased with the sound quality and of course, the power.

I have coupled the receiver to Mirage OM7 speakers and OM2, 3 for center and rear channels with a Mirage 150 watt sub. Fortunately a neighbor owns a stereo shop, lets just say he treats his neighbors "very well".

I am using a Panasonic DVD/CD/MP3 machine for DVD and CD's but will pick up a Sony 300 Disk CD player in a few days. I like the large capacity players big time. When the Sahaydak's stop by this usually involves a marathon Canasta match where Greg and I proceed to kick our wives collective butts all the while sipping expensive whiskey and listening to non-stop blues.

Next on my shopping list is a large screen TV. I mean big, 50" or bigger. I have just started to shop around and I am not sure what to purchase just yet. I hope a deal will be done around Christmas. I am open to suggestions.

I am experiencing some problems with my receiver. Right from the show room floor (not my neighbor's show room!) there was no sound from the right rear speaker and I had a hum on some "power-ups". Any way it was sent out for repair to a shop in the big city. The repair invoice mentioned "re-soldering". Re-soldering of what I will never know but that problem is fixed.

Now I have another problem but I am less than impressed with the authorized repair shop so that is why I have a posting in the "Repairs" forum. I would like to do a bit of research on this new problem before I let the technician tear the receiver from my hands.

Regards,
Dick

daviton

Post by daviton » Mon Oct 20, 2003 3:23 am

just like to say that i think carver audio is good stuff! i've owned and enjoyed carver audio over the years and still do.my current system is a ct-17 preamp which has replaced my old ct-7 preamp,two old m4.0t amplifier's(one dfm),a carver dtl-200 cd plyr.and magnepan mg12 speakers.i owned a carver c-1 preamp which was really neat and w/alot of features,but i wanted a preamp that had a remote control for volume adjustment etc...and i owned the m400 amplifier which was something that i admired, considering the power and clarity it delivered for such a small size(i just did'nt like the way the speaker cable hook up's were)<too small,so the m4.0t amp's came into the picture.this amp too is really incredible,the sound of it is really detailed and smooth w/alot of power to drive my planar's.all and all,the ole'carver audio pieces still deliver that sweet musical sound to my ear's...........daviton
Last edited by daviton on Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fordfanjbl

My Babys

Post by fordfanjbl » Thu Oct 23, 2003 12:02 am

My system is of the following:

CARVER
2 C-1 preamps (for sale) (1 is older than the other)
DTL-200 CD Player (NEED REPAIR)
2 PM 1.5
2 TFM-45 (NEED REPAIR)
M-400

M-400 pushs my 2 JBL loudspeakers
2 PM 1.5 push my 2 18'' fanes
2 TFM-45 used to push my 2 15'' fanes

I have no owners manauls and anyone who know what the specs are
for the PM 1.5 I'd like to know so I don't blow a speaker. Plus Anyone who might want the C-1 preamp it is in very
good shape E-Mail me with Questions at fordfanjbl@aol.com
Last edited by fordfanjbl on Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:22 am

Contact Mike at mike@vintageaudiomanuals.com he`s the one that has all the owners/service manuals.

George

Post by George » Fri Nov 07, 2003 8:48 pm

My main rig is a pair of Amazing Platinum Mk.IV's being driven by a M4.0t bridged to 1,000 watts for the right channel, and a TFM-42 bridged to 1,000 watts for the left channel. Pre-amp is a C-16 or C-19. Right now the -19. Cd is either Sony 307ES, or Sony SACD player. Vinyl is Thorens TD-126 Mk.IV with Grado cart. I have a Sony ES cassette deck in there too.

I have a HT rig of sorts in another room, where I use a big honker Onkyo M-5090 power amp to drive the woofers, and a Carver M-500t to drive the mids and tweets in a pair of 1978 vintage AR-9's. I have a Tandberg TCD-310 cassette deck in this rig. Preamp is a sleeper piece, the Apt "Holman" preamp. Holman as in Tomlinson Holman, George Lucas' THX guy. THX is an acronym for Tom Holman's Xperiment.

I've had Carver since the mid-80's. I finally broke down and bought The Amazing's in 1991.

I have a bunch of Carver stuff in storage:

C-11 pre (unused new) SOLD to Eddie on this forum
TL-3330 CD player SOLD to somebody
TX-11a tuna (Now part of my HT rig
M-500t pwr amp (Still in storage as a spare)
TFM-35 pwr amp (unused new) Sold to Eddie on this forum

Arrividerci baby,

George
Last edited by George on Sun Nov 12, 2006 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

fordfanjbl

hey george

Post by fordfanjbl » Sat Nov 08, 2003 6:48 am

your TFM-35 is it a TFM-35x or just a regular TFM-35?

George

Post by George » Sat Nov 08, 2003 8:09 am

Plain vanilla TFM-35. No magic wand waved over it.

George

emmett

Post by emmett » Sun Nov 16, 2003 3:52 pm

My main system is McIntosh based, an MC2500 driving JBL 15s in custom made boxes for bass, and an MC2250 driving smaller custom made JBL driven speakers. I use homemade plasma tweeters for high end.

However i also have a Carver M-200t which i use in a smaller more portable system with a pair of Mission bookshelf speakers. I would like to get a Carver C-1 preamp to match it, i want to hear the sonic holography.
I'm having a littel trouble with my M-200t though, its a little noisy (see my repair section posts) and i think it needs a new transformer, maybe capacitors.

Jim Hef

Post by Jim Hef » Sun Nov 23, 2003 6:02 pm

Toy Maker, if I were a speaker builder, I don't think I'd post a pic that showed that I viewed my video with subtitles enabled!!! [-X

DaveS
The OverLord of CarverAudio.com

Post by DaveS » Sun Nov 23, 2003 7:51 pm

Well if your better-half was deaf you might not think anything of it either!!!! [-X :^o :-# :-# :-# Nice goin`!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

George

Post by George » Thu Nov 27, 2003 11:27 pm

With all due respect, how was the guy supposed to know THAT?

Toy Maker
Puppet Master

Post by Toy Maker » Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:58 pm

Glad you said something... Being blind myself, I had no idea the captioning was even on :doubt:

Return to “"The Welcome Mat"”