FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:27 am

Any speaker compare to Platinum under $12,000?

<<

elshout

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:28 pm

Any speaker compare to Platinum under $12,000?

Has anyone heard a speaker that compares to the Carver Amazing Platinum Mark IV's?

Specifically, anything close in bass output and sheer volume capability without sounding harsh?

I have some JBL L300's, they sound good, but do not come close in the bass.

Scott
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:45 pm

Re: Any speaker compare to Platinum under $12,000?

$12,000 new or used :lol:

The older Genesis would sound pretty good...
of course... they do have Carver drivers in them =D>

These were only $22,000 new, you should be able to pick up a set for $12k by now.

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

elshout

Post Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:56 pm

I was thinking $12,000 new, so that the used price might be affordable. What I am really looking for is something used under $6,000.
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:14 am

Specifically, anything close in bass output and sheer volume capability without sounding harsh?

There are plenty of speakers that exceed the bass output and the Amazing's max out at around 110dB, so there are plenty of speakers that exceed that as well.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:00 am

If what you are seeking in a pair of speakers is max db volume and bass output there are a couple of companies that would love to talk to you. For starters you might try contacting the Marshall company and inquire about purchasing a couple of their "Stacks".
One other thing to keep in mind is that your ears can only hear clearly up to a certain db level and once that is exceeded you will perceive everything as "harsh" no matter what the speakers are. When Mr. Carver designed the Amazings I don't think winning a max db contest was on his mind.

Rainman
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:38 am

I think the Carver ALVI's have great base just biamp for more base.
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

Toy Maker

Puppet Master

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:04 am

That's true... I kinda forgot about the AL-VI's... ](*,)
From what I heard, they ain't too shitty :lol: All the AL-III highs, and twice the bass!!
For $3,800 you too could have a set, NEW.

Whatever you do in life will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it... because nobody else will.

‎~You think Einstein walked around thinkin' everyone was a bunch of dumb shits?~

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE MUSIC!
╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:48 am

Toy Maker wrote:That's true... I kinda forgot about the AL-VI's... ](*,)
From what I heard, they ain't too shitty :lol: All the AL-III highs, and twice the bass!!
For $3,800 you too could have a set, NEW.

Scott,

You really need to give these a listen. Very good value IMHO, plenty of bass, wonderful soundstage and they do play clean and loud. Anyone that attended Carverfest this past year can attest. If in the market for new speakers, PM Toymaker. Also Engtaz (Roy) has a pair, so you can also get his thoughts.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

Eddie

Eddie The Knife

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:40 pm

oh boy look at all those toys !
Good judgment comes from experience,but experience usually comes from bad judgment.

The best thing is to learn from others that have mastered the one thing you need to learn!

I would tell you to go to hell but I already work there and I don't want to see your ugly face every day!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:43 pm

occd

My new project might be to expand my listening room so I can add some of that ---
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:28 am

I took my Platinum's and added the Sunfire sub - Helps the amp / rubble's the floor, GREAT combo - Near impossible to beat for anything close to the money....OK it is totally impossible!
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

Magic_Physicist

TFM-6cb

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:47 am

Ah those old 2 piece ribbons remind me of the good old days :)

Almost 25 years ago.......I still have my originals in my collection which are in those styrofom shipping packages right now.

I decided to see wtf I had here in this room stashed in the corner under other stuff for 8 years and here it is.

Looks like the box the C-9 came in but I'm not sure about this other box......Bob may have sent me crossovers in that box since it says "Carver M-240 amp" and I have no such thing here.

That was a car amp from 1986-1989 so it has to just be a crossover box so UPS could bring that to me back then.

The crossovers in the picture could be the originals....I do have another pair here and they must be in the storage room with the old ribbons.

ImageImage
<<

Rainman

SILVER-7t

Post Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:06 am

I was looking at the part where it says "under $12,000" and realized that there is a pair of speakers which are said to be the best pair of speakers you can buy for less than the price of a new Subaru Outback by Stereophile as well as several other publications concurred that they were among the best speakers they have heard at ANY price. I can say from personal experience that these will definitely "compare" to the Platinums for under 12k. They should easily answer your question about bass... how does down to 10hz sound? (somewhat not relevant because you can't even feel or hear 10hz) Here is the Stereophile article on them. (be sure to read thoroughly as this guy usually doesn't make comments like this) If any of you are now a little curious I highly recommend you find a dealer or stop by our place and take a listen to a pair set up and sounding the way they should be heard instead of hearing the embarrassing awful noise that comes out of mine in the Carverfest cabins listening environment that none of us happen to live in. I also included an audiogon listing for a brand new pair selling for 1/2 of the $12,000 price point.

Rainman

http://www.stereophile.com/content/linn-akurate-242-loudspeaker-page-2

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1299969817&/Linn-Akurate-242-Brand-New-/-R
Question: Do you know why turds are tapered on the ends? Answer: So your asshole doesn't slam shut..

Carver- SDA490t, SDA450, 2 TFM45's, TFM15, CT23, CT28v, CT27v, Linn Kaber speakers, Sunfire crm2's, PS Audio Statement speaker cables and I/C's, A.P.C. power
<<

elshout

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Thanks for your responses Toy Maker. At least you were polite in your responses. Some of the members are condescending. However, I can’t imagine the AL-VI’s would outperform my Mark IV Platinums. The ribbons are smaller and only one woofer.

F1nut – I am sure there are some speakers out there that outperform the Carvers, I was hoping to identify which ones.

I was hoping there were a few of you who have compared speakers and heard some that are superior to the Platinums.

As most on this forum like to upgrade, I would like to upgrade to a larger, quality pair of speakers. I like it clear and loud. I really like the Platinums, but I would feel I downgraded if the replacements had less bass or less “clear” volume than the Platinums.

Has anyone heard the Legacy Focus or the Tyler Acoustics Woodmere?

Scott
<<

mbskeam

SILVER-7t

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:39 pm

the only comment I have is this....
once you listen to ribbon type speakers you are ruined....
all cone type speaker will sound not right, not bad, but not that sweet sound only ribbons can make.....
I hear ya on the bass with the plats, I like mine with a bit more punch/impact if you will.
but thats what subs are for...
right James...... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Mbskeam

#1 BLACK BEAUTY's made by the man, the myth, the legend Bob Carver
CARVER: TFM-75, TFM-45(3), SD/A-490T
SUNFIRE: Tube pre
2 sets of ALS'3, set of SILVERS, set of PLATS
AUDIOCONTROL: phase coupled activator
KENWOOD: BASIC M2a (2)

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”
― Aristophanes

The only thing I'll feel......will be the RECOIL
Necronomicon Ex-Mortis....... Klaatu Barada Nikkto
"We should seek the greatest value of our action"
Next

Return to Carver Speakers