FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:57 pm

Buying Tubes

<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:39 pm

Buying Tubes

Has anybody bought tubes from Tctubes.com before? If so how was your experience with them? I usually buy from Tubedepot.com or The Tubestore.com
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:18 pm

Re: Buying Tubes

I bet James buys a lot of tubes.
For most of us, we buy seldom as tubes are good for at least a couple years - :lol:
Not really as tube upgrade hits hard.

I am just being funny . I used to sell tubes back in the 60's.

Today, like most I have no tubes. ](*,) Every time I try to get back to the 60's, DIBBs slaps me in the face.

These days, unless you have a totally old analog system, your music is being played by a computer of some sort.

From there it is all just about how much hype you buy into and how much time you have to work to get the sound you prefer. (there is no "best" sound)

Bob Carver took a simple amp to a complex test and duplicated the sound. He did not make a better sound as who knows what that is.

That is the key most old Carver nuts will not apply to today's stuff even though it is what Bob was the champion for.

All the brand new, and very old digital music transports are - computers.

XXXXX00000000000000XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and all that, not Connie Frances singing sweetly from an old LP.

A computer (with software that improves daily) can give you a tube sound or whatever you want. Yea it is not yet plug and play like a $2000 transport, but is easily better as it can sound like whatever you choose. No, your computer can not do that, but you build one on the cheap that can. If you don't yet know what you like and think throwing $$ at it all sounds good - then that is good too.

These days I am playing with Bob's Holy sound. That is a bunch of equalized sounds kinda like what Bose does, but light years ahead.

I am not knocking any one here, just saying add some new ideas into your mix --

Me, I want some tubes --- :D :D
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Nice to hear from you again. I don't go too crazy over tubes because I just can't see paying almost $200.00 for one tube. Tubes do sound different but I can't spend that much money on them. I just got my hands on a Sd/a 390t cd player and the original owner had never replaced the tubes. So instead of going to my usual web sites for tubes I decided to shop around to try and save some money amd possibly get my hands on some better tubes than I usually get. My Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube preamp currently has JAN Philips 6922s and Sovtek 12ax7LPs.
CARVER LIGHTSTAR REFERENCE+SUNFIRE CLASSIC TUBE PREAMPLIFIER+JBL XPL200+MUSIC HALL MMF-9.1+GRADO REFERENCE MASTER 1+CARVER SD/A 390t=WOW!!!!!!
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:01 pm

Snoop65 wrote:Nice to hear from you again. I don't go too crazy over tubes because I just can't see paying almost $200.00 for one tube. Tubes do sound different but I can't spend that much money on them. I just got my hands on a Sd/a 390t cd player and the original owner had never replaced the tubes. So instead of going to my usual web sites for tubes I decided to shop around to try and save some money amd possibly get my hands on some better tubes than I usually get. My Sunfire Classic Vacuum Tube preamp currently has JAN Philips 6922s and Sovtek 12ax7LPs.

Yea, some here can rant on for days about a 2 foot copper wire.
Tubes are a lot more than that, and while I can only look forward to getting into that, suspect there is a break point there where beyond that is buying witchcraft.
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:04 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:Yea, some here can rant on for days about a 2 foot copper wire.

But only I can rant about my 2 foot :-" :-" :-"
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:46 pm

Scarabeo wrote:
OconeeOrange wrote:Yea, some here can rant on for days about a 2 foot copper wire.

But only I can rant about my 2 foot :-" :-" :-"

Actually, don't know where you stand on multi dollar inter connects.
Put up a new thread on your thoughts.
Tom will hate this, but it might get F1 to make a rare post.

Come on Scarebo - don't just follow - put up a thread of your own --

HaHa

:lol: :lol:
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:02 am

Has anybody bought tubes from Tctubes.com before?

Never heard of them, but that doesn't mean much as there are lots and lots of tube sellers out there.
Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:30 am

PM F1 about tubes -

Experience is everything as to tubes -
<<

Scarabeo

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:39 am

Snoop65 wrote:Has anybody bought tubes from Tctubes.com before? If so how was your experience with them? I usually buy from Tubedepot.com or The Tubestore.com

I am just getting into this Tube thing so I too would love to know where to get Tubes other then eBay.
BillD, You will be forever with us! RIP until we meet again on the other side...
<<

F1nut

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:52 am

Political Correctness...defined

A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

In a recent press conference, President Obama remarked, "If I had a city, it would look just like Detroit."
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:02 pm

Thanks for the input F1. I am familiar with Tube depot and The Tube store. I have to check out the other ones you listed. Right now I have my eye on some JAN Sylvania 6922 and Amperex Bugle Boys. I'm trying to gather more information about the Amperex tubes because there seems to be quite a few versions of the 6922.
<<

BillD

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Location: The west's most mid-western town, Scottsdale, Arizona

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:04 pm

I've heard that the best 6DJ8s are the Amperex Gold pin 7308s (E188CC)
Here is one mans opinions (not mine)
It should sound like it isn't there!
There is a difference between hearing and listening...
Making life enjoyable through expensive electronics.

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:15 pm

To answer your question,,YES,,I have bought from them before,, reputable sales,,but IIRC, their mainstay is guitar amp tubes,, just be sure to tell them what you are buying the tube for,,amp,,pre,,etc,,,actually very nice folks,,at least they were to me on the phone,,IIRC I bought some 9 pins from them.
<<

Snoop65

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:13 pm

Thanks BillD! Joe's Tube Lore was excellent reading! He verifies some things I have read elsewhere. Nice listing of various tubes. Thanks for your response too Zoot!
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:00 am

Snoop, I wish you hadn't posted that tube vender....it could have an adverse affect on my wallet
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - empty, Klipschorns

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec A4's
Next

Return to Carver Tubes