FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 am

HeLp An OlD GuY uNdErStAnD cEnTeR cHaNnEl

<<

Kingshead

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:11 pm

Re: HeLp An OlD GuY uNdErStAnD cEnTeR cHaNnEl

If looking for some really wild movie sound pick up an old "discrete quad" unit from the 70's, it really does some crazy things with surround signals. It won't work correctly in "Matrix" mode, it has to be 4 "True Discrete" channels. With this set up the rear channels are no longer relegated as just fill, they are now dedicated full rear channels. As long as you stay in or near the sweet spot you get something like a phantom center channel, but better. Still own the old Lafayette quad integrated and matching tuner I purchased as a kid for my first system (my oldest son in FL. currently has possession), tried it and was astounded by the realism of the bullets flying arround, the car crashes, even the music broadcast over the cable. There were never enough quad recordings available to be a viable choice, but I feel surround gives it a hole new lease on life. If more people knew, these old quad units would skyrocket in value as collectors items.

Martin
Last edited by Kingshead on Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
College Prof.
<<

elgrau

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:22 pm

Good info Martin...if I ever run across a quad unit I'll try it....the SS decoder i have is not much anyway (Audiosource) and still has a very slight hum in one channel even after I'm now by-passing its "for shit" onboard center/rear "amps" (haha) and using the av-705x for amping those channels....
Family room: 400 disk changer with PS Audio Digital Link III DAC; Technics SL-1100A TT. QED Quenx1 IC's from DAC & TT to Adcom GTP-602 preamp/Tuner. AudioQuest King Cobra IC's from preamp to M1.0t mk-II opt2. QED Silver Spirals 4M wires to EPI 1000’s.
Living room: AudioQuest Black Mamba 8M IC's from family room preamp to Barcus-Berry 2002R Sonic Maximizer to GlowPower Zyxt IC's to Sunfire 300x2 to Nordost 6M bi-source wires to AOS 28" MDF spherical speakers using six 8" woofers and eight 1" dome tweeters symm. arranged around the surface.
SS system: CX-995V DVD to AV-705x 5 channel amp (center/rears) & M1.0t mk-II opt2(fronts).
Garage: TLM-3600 CDP to MXR150 Receiver (pre) to TFM-42 to EPI 400 speakers.
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:26 pm

I tell ya, for action movies, nothing beats even a descent surround sound system. Center speaker and subwoofer are the most critical in my opinion and 4 or 6 matching bookshelves for the rest.
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 200x5
Klipsch KP 250 II
Samson SX3200 (750x2 Sub Amp)
(2) 18" Klipsch KP 480 Subs
Klipsch RSW 15
PS Audio DL-III DAC
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:45 pm

cring08 wrote:
elgrau wrote:Had one of those....OO then gave me his "old" av-705x. MUCH better.

So OO, got another "old av-705" layin' around? :-" :-"

Actually, I have one hooked to my TV - just excellent \:D/

I have a AV-505 bi-amping POLK LSIs in my Bar, and it is fun there. :-({|=

These come up on ebay, and if you shop some, you can find a good one. If you can use a 5 channel amp, these are a "best buy".
<<

Glenlivet

Newbie 50+

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:46 pm

jjptkd wrote:I tell ya, for action movies, nothing beats even a descent surround sound system. Center speaker and subwoofer are the most critical in my opinion and 4 or 6 matching bookshelves for the rest.

You ain't kidding. I was watching the whole The Tudors series and although I had everything running I wasn't getting a whole lot of ambiance or surround other than the odd subtle and appropriate bit. I just paid it little mind and got 'into' the show...
Until there was a scene of Henry VIII's army attacking a castle in France with cannon. The camera took several viewpoints within the castle walls and to the distant reports had some awsome shots of cannonballs arcing toward the viewer at great speed... and then they hit! Holy shamoly! All the components of surround and subwoofer sprang to life and it sounded like real cannonballs were taking off the roof of my house! :lol: Shook the freaking couch I was sititing on, I swear.

That's what I'm talking about. Dynamic range. 8)
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:57 pm

I agree as to the sub for action video, but I use the center just to bring out dialog and let my mains and rears carry the show.
I use a CT-17. It sends out white noise to help you dial in the different speakers.
----------thanks Bob *5*
<<

Mr. M-500t

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:02 pm

OconeeOrange wrote:
cring08 wrote:
elgrau wrote:Had one of those....OO then gave me his "old" av-705x. MUCH better.

So OO, got another "old av-705" layin' around? :-" :-"

Actually, I have one hooked to my TV - just excellent \:D/

I have a AV-505 bi-amping POLK LSIs in my Bar, and it is fun there. :-({|=

These come up on ebay, and if you shop some, you can find a good one. If you can use a 5 channel amp, these are a "best buy".

Picked one up for $150.00
Made the Integra DTC-9.8 in the living room come to life. I'm loven it ! Need a manual though. :(
Previous

Return to Carver Home (Theater)