FAQ  •  Register   •  Gallery •  Login

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 8:28 pm

Tinpan's updated system

<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:47 am

Tinpan's updated system

Well, it looks like it is time to update the ole' members system file again. It's been a little over year since i first showed up here and I have made a lot of progress and learned a lot. For that I appreciate everyone's help.

This is what my system looked like when I first showed up. A pile of classic, though non functional Carver gear. BillD was mystified on how a PL 400 could work on it's side and TNRabbitt offered the following adive: “Buy what is in my signature line” We'll see how I did with that advice

It didn't take long for OCCD to set in and I promptly set out to do what is required to maintain my membership in good standing on this forum, buy buy buy.

Soon I settled down and started focusing on my main system. The acquisition of 3 Klipsch La Scalas and a pair of Klipsch Heresey speakers would set up my Home Theater speaker requirements. You will notice the 30 year old $ 20 dollar Sears TV holding up my Onkyo HT receiver just started looking, well dated and cheap. And no the ten year old Onkyo receiver just wasn't cutting it anymore.

Here is the latest config of what I have, anything look familiar? Here's the view from my Lazy Boy. I have my TG IV driving HT. I can listen to the AN 300b SET tube amp driving the Lowther Alerions, I can listen to the Sunfire Classic Tube amp driving the CRS-3s or the TG IV driving a pair of La Scalas.

Here is a close up of the right rack

On the top shelf is my Audio Notes Kit 1 300b SET amp

The third Shelf has my Sunfire Theater Grand IV
The fourth shelf has my Sunfire Power Amp

Big difference from my old Sears TV stand, eh?

Here is a close up of those 300b Tubes, I could look at those all day

The Sunfire TG IV and Cinema Grand are the centerpiece of my Home Theater set up so i won't go into that very much. Ya'll know more about them than I do anyway. These feed 3 Klispch La Scalas for (L,C,&R) front channels and a pair of Klispch Heresey speakers handle the surround channels

I use the Direct TV to feed the Audio for movies my Sunfire TG IV and the video via HDMI to my 46 inch Sony LCD TV.

Here is view of both racks, they fit perfectly on the both sides of my La Scala. The right rack has all of the equipment I previously listed except I upgraded to the Oppo BVD 93. On the left you can see the Rythmik Audio F15 sub, another Panamax power unit, the Sunfire Signature Stereo Amp, the Sunfire Classic Tube pre-amp, an Oppo H981 dvd player and a Thorens TD60 turntable. You can also see the Lowther Alerions that finally showed up and a pair of Scarabeo's Sunfire CRS-3 speakers on the wall.

Here is a close up of this rack. My Sunfire Tube pre-amp doesn't have a phono section but it does have a remote. It is driving the CRS-3 speakers and the Rythmik Audio Sub. I bought this sub to use on my AN amp but it sounds so nice on the Sunfire set up I think I'll have to leave it here and get another. I am also contemplating getting another Audio Note L3 Phono section so i can connect this turntable to the Sunfire pre-amp. I would be interested in ideas for this. I bought this turntable and used it with a TG V driving the Sunfire Stereo amp. It sounded wonderful so i think I am back into vinyl. I think though that I will get a different turntable for this system and use the Thorens one of my AN set ups.
A buddy of my has a Sota, it is frickin expensive, but boy is it nice. Besides, I need a black plinth to match this set up

Here you can see the Rythmik Sub. I am also seriously thinking about upgrading the Eastern Electric DAC to an Audio Note kit DAC 3.1. I really like that DAC. I added the Oppo 981 so I can play cds through the Sunfire. I also got a 980 for my dad's system, I think these old Oppo DVD players are great inexpensive cd players.

My next move with this set up will probably be adding the phono stage and turntable, upgrading the DACs, upgarding the Klipsch sub to another Rythmik Audio and adding a Rythmik Sub to the AN tube amp here. I would also like to upgrade the CRS-3 speakers to something else, not sure to what yet, though.

Luckily, I'll be moving to a bigger place in a couple months.

Here is my other set up in this room. I know it's not Carver, but I thought you might get a kick out of it. This is a pair of Lowther Alerions with PM5a drivers being driven by the Audio Note Interstage Mono Blocks. These are 300b tubes in a PSE config. I originally wanted the SET config but they weren't going to be available for months so i went with this set up. I hindsight I am glad I did, it sounds awesome. I had the HHG stands built for these amps to match the Alerions. I kind of screwed up doing that because I added a phono stage, DAC and turntable. Now I need a five shelf rack. ah well.

Here is a close up of the Audio Note Interstage Mono Block. I love these amps

Here is the AN DAC 3.1. The AN DAC has a USB port. I never tried a USB DAC so i tried that out. I had to download another program to MAKE the Mac play through the USB port. I never knew that you couldn't play iTunes through a USB port. The first program I tried was Pure Music. I was shocked at how nice it sounded. I don't know if the DAC made the difference or the software, or both. It definitely sounds much better than playing iTunes directly to the Eastern DAC. You can also play FLAC files and you can play all of it through the Apple TV's using another program called Air Foil.

Anyway, that's it for now
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - Carver VTA20 Baby Black Beauty, Custom Line Stage, Klipschorns

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin
<<

frankieD

Frankie The Mouth

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:15 pm

Re: Tinpan's updated system

WOW !!
<<

treitz3

"Julian"
"Julian"

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:25 pm

Hell of a transformation Tinpan! Love the tubes, brother.
In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to a good analogue reproduction.

Robert R. - "Did you see my North Korea analogy? I should have named it Carversite.kim"
<<

helicopterpilotdoug

SILVER-7t

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:29 pm

=D> All I can say is WOW!! =D> Ok, maybe I can say more! :lol: What a journey you have been on! =D> =D> Very nice improvements. Lots of good equipment you have there. Hows your bank account doing after all the upgrades you have done?? :shock:
Congratulations on your systems. As Mr. Carver would say, "Enjoy the Music! \:D/
Sunfire: Theater Grand IV, Cinema Grand Signature.
Carver: TFM-45, PST-24 Cassette, Extra Carver Gear: CT-6, C-11 (S/N 00001).
Polk Audio: Mains SRS 2.1TL, Center CSiA6, Surrounds FXiA6 and FXiA4, Sub DSW MicroPro 1000, Extra Speakers SDA 2A, SDA 2Btl, Monitor 10A.
Turntable: Dual CS 714Q
Bluray/SACD: Oppo BDP 83SE
CD: Sony 330 300 Disk changer

http://www.douglasconnection.com
<<

BrianT

Pair of Silver Sevens

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Tinpan.

What a great journey, it looks great.

Brian.
VPI Classic Turntable (blk)
Transfiguration Phoenix Cartridge
Sunfire Vacuum Tube Control Centre. C/W Mod'ed Phono Stage
Carver Silver 7's Tube Amps
Raysonic CD-168 CDP (silver)
Carver TX11.
B&W 802D's Rosenut
<<

Don

(pair of) SILVER-7t's

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:49 pm

helicopterpilotdoug wrote:=D> All I can say is WOW!! =D> Ok, maybe I can say more! :lol: What a journey you have been on! =D> =D> Very nice improvements. Lots of good equipment you have there. Hows your bank account doing after all the upgrades you have done?? :shock:
Congratulations on your systems. As Mr. Carver would say, "Enjoy the Music! \:D/

X2
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
— Thomas Paine

"Try not to become a man of success, but rather a man of value" Albert Einstein

"Politicians are the only people in the world who create problems and then campaign against them". Charlie Reese

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living." Brad Shurett

"Kindness is a language that the Deaf can hear and the Blind can see." Mark Twain

RIP Bill D.
<<

engtaz

"TAZ"

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:33 pm

Schwwwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeettttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt
engtaz

Carver M4.0T in front channels to Caver AL VI's in SACD & 2 Channel setup
C 16, PT 2400, Slim Device, Carver TX-8, 490T and Rega TT w Grado Gold cart in the 2 channel setup
Bogen SRB20 is computer amp
Carver PM-350 donated for youth church use
<<

jjptkd

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:43 pm

Incredible! =D> =D>
Sunfire TGP-III
Sunfire 405x5
PS Audio DL-III DAC
Klipsch Chorus II's
Klipsch RSW 15
Klipsch KW-120 (2)
<<

TNRabbit

(pair of) SILVER-7 TUBE AMPs

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:58 pm

DUDE; quit slacking~ :-s

you've got room for another pair of speakers in there!!!

8)

Don't those pipes & banjos rattle like a mother when you have that cranked up?!?
TNRabbit

From FrankieD's lips to your ears: Sunfire - a quiet box of endless power.

Sunfire TG-IV/400~7 Amp
Carver SD/A-360 CDP
Benchmark DAC-1
Sony SACD/DVD-A
Active bi-amp: Ashly XR-1001 & 2 Rane PEQ-15s
Main: HotRodded AL-IIIs
Sub: Klipsch RT-12d
Center: Sunfire CRS-3c
Surround: Sunfire CRS-3 (x 2)

OconeeOrange wrote:"Gary likes to play it 'loud' as do I. His system begs you turn it up until you die"

RIP WIlliam B. Dibble, 1948-2012. I'll miss you my friend.
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:07 pm

Hows your bank account doing after all the upgrades you have done?? :shock:

It has taken a pounding it kind of hurts a little ](*,)

I went to pick up my mono blocks and Pete had his phono stage sitting there not connected, so i talked him out of it. Then I had a rectifier tube let loose, it looked much like the movie Star Wars played fast forward in 5 seconds, in case you are wondering what it looked liked. I went to Pete's to pick up a new one and left with his personal DAC. That really hurt....but it sounds sooo goood.

I may be ruined, I am thinking about added a AN tube phono stage to the Sunfire Tube pre instead of waiting for a phono version of it.

you've got room for another pair of speakers in there!!!

Rabbit, you are not helping. Although I do have a couple pairs of CRM-2s laying around. If I had one more amp i could fit a pair on speaker stands in front of the subs 8-[

The banjos are fine, but one of my Christmas pipes in the glass covered case moves around a lot. I have to remember to check it before I open the cabinet
Tinpan

HT - Sunfire TG IV, Sunfire Cinema Grand Sig. 400 x 5, Oppo 93, Klipsch LaScala (3), Cornwalls (2), SW-12, Sony 60" LCD

2 channel - AN L2 Pre-amp, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN 2.1 DAC, DUAL CS 5000 TT, Oppo DV-981HD, Lowther PM4a/Azurahorn/SentryIV

2 channel - AN L3 Signature Line stage, AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, AN Sig. DAC 3.1 , AN Sig. Phono Stage, Sota Comet TT, Altec A5's

2 channel - AN Interstage Mono Blocks 300b PSE, Carver C-5 Pre, Altec A4 speakers

2 channel - Audio Note Kit 1 300b SET, Audio Note DAC 2.1, Altec 288 Horns/JBL Bass bin
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:24 pm

ARE YOU MARRIED !!??!!! :rolleyes:
<<

tinpan

TFM-45

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:32 pm

Yes, doesn't everyone's wife support their hobbies ? :^o
Tinpan

<<

Zoot Horn

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:34 pm

nice-- tell us more about the 300B and your Lowthers please.
<<

dyeraudio

TFM-75

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:07 pm

Just great! =D> =D> =D> What a transformation! Loving the tubes! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
CARVER CT-29V, CARVER TFM-45 (Rita-furbished) ,CARVER SD/A 490t, LINN Keilidh speakers, PS Audio I/C's, PS Audio Statement & Plus Speaker Cables, APC Line-R 600 conditioner, Vibra-Cones
<<

OconeeOrange

SILVER-7 TUBE AMP

Post Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:34 pm

I had a friend many years back who had LaScala. We tossed back a few to those big guys. He pushed them with a Sansui amp, and of course that was before digital, so it was turntable and cassette music.
As I recall, you could get some then and refinish them yourself. Some time back, I was looking for a pair for my bar, and found they are selling them again, but way more than I could justify on speakers for my Bar. A guy in Charlotte had a used pair for sale a few months back, but they were project speakers and over my head for repair.

You have a lot of new and old stuff, I would like to hear your thoughts on them.
One good thing about them is they are speakers and tables combined. \:D/

http://www.klipsch.com/na-en/products/la-scala-ii-overview/

OO
Next

Return to List / Update Your System